The Trump Phenomenon

5844 replies to this topic

#5401 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5066 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:21 PM

“No organization has been more important to conservative voter education and engagement than the NRA. We all hope they’re able to mount the kind of effort in the 2020 cycle they have in the past,” Gregg Keller, a former American Conservative Union executive director, told Politico. “But in case they can’t, given their current situation, I hope they’re being forthright about that within the movement so others can pick up the slack.”

Doesn't this quote pretty much spell out that they're violating their charter as a charitable organization?

You know what to do, Mr. Cuomo!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5402 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

"I DEMAND MORE TRUMPSUCKING!" --Dear Leader

In a meandering series of tweets on Sunday evening, President Trump pounced on his favorite cable news channel’s weekend lineup of hosts, hitting the network for being “worse” than CNN and “Lyin’ Brian Williams” at NBC.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5403 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostLFC, on 08 July 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

"I DEMAND MORE TRUMPSUCKING!" --Dear Leader
Cut them a break. That mushroom might be hard to find under the flab....
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5404 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 08 July 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

Cut them a break. That mushroom might be hard to find under the flab....

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5405 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

Why the apology? For telling the truth? Oh, I see. It's just for getting caught telling the truth.

The British government expressed “regret” over the leak of an internal memo that described the Trump administration as “dysfunctional,” among other things.

“Contact has been made with the Trump administration setting out our view that we believe the leak in unacceptable. It is, of course, a matter of regret that this has happened,” a spokesperson for the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister Theresa May’s office told reporters Monday, according to Reuters.

The memos were from Kim Darroch, the UK’s ambassador to Washington, and were leaked to the Daily Mail on Sunday.

“We don’t really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept,” Darroch reportedly wrote to top British politicians in the memo.

Trump had his own retort to the leak: “We’re not big fans of that man (Darroch) and he has not served the UK well. … I can say things about him, but I won’t bother,” the President said Sunday.

Trump continued his swipes at Darroch on Monday afternoon, saying the U.S. would no longer work with him and that it was “good news” for the UK that May is on her way out the door.

#5406 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13331 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

They apologized for the leak. Not its contents. Good on them.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#5407 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 03 July 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

Doesn't this quote pretty much spell out that they're violating their charter as a charitable organization?

You know what to do, Mr. Cuomo!
Actually the quote spells out how they don't, if I understand the law:

“No organization has been more important to conservative voter education and engagement than the NRA."
Charities are advocacy organizations, any charity can advocate on an issue. If the quote had been “No organization has been more important to Republican voter turnout than the NRA" and the statement was coming from an NRA executive, that would be an entirely different case.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#5408 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13604 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

Yale psych prof: If Trump weren't president he would be "contained and evaluated"
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#5409 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1860 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

Unfortunately, before he became President, he was not constrained and evaluated. Probably because he allegedly had money.

#5410 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:03 AM

The UK ambassador resigned.

“Since the leak of official documents from this embassy, there has been a great deal of speculation surrounding my position and the duration of my remaining term as ambassador,” he wrote. “I want to put an end to that speculation. The current situation is making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like.”

I'm not sure if whoever leaked the cables is happy about this. Were they leaked to discredit Trump or to get rid of Darroch?

#5411 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13331 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:34 AM

Likely the latter. Brexiters are everywhere. Deep state, doncha know?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#5412 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

This event coming from the man the Evangelicals believe is a gift from God™. This is America's president, folks. For the 40% who approve of him I'd say this is likely a good representation of their morals.

President Trump’s Florida golf club will host “Miami’s hottest strippers” later this week for a golf tournament thrown by an area strip club, where attendees will be able to choose a stripper to be their “caddy girl” for the day.

Trump’s establishments have faced scrutiny for lax security and hosting foreign dignitaries, but this may just be the first time a strip club is hosting an event at a property owned by a sitting president.

The event, held by Shadow Cabaret, was first reported by the Washington Post.

It’s being billed as “the ultimate VIP experience” featuring “beautiful” women — though the strip club’s marketing director, Emanuele Mancuso, assured the Washington Post that the women will be “be clothed the whole time” at the golf course in Doral, Florida. After the golf tournament, the event will continue at the Shadow Cabaret strip club in Hialeah.

Shadow Cabaret markets its Hialeah location, one of two, as “only minutes from Miami International Airport” and “featuring a full kitchen, full bar, and full nudity with spacious VIP and private dance rooms,” as well as a Scarface theme.

VIPs at the tournament get the “caddy girl of your choice,” a Trump Doral hotel stay and a half hour in the strip club’s VIP room, according to a poster on the club’s website. Another poster features a lipstick-stained golf ball.

For participants who sign up after Wednesday, Mancuso told the Post, “they’re going to have an auction” on Friday night. ExoticDancer.com reported the golf portion of the weekend would feature “100 beautiful Shadow’s caddy girls.”

#5413 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4450 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hm.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#5414 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

After the non-profit found out that the event was a strip tees (would have been a great name for it) they bailed. As a result the event has been cancelled.

After a nonprofit told TPM Wednesday that it was pulling out of a strip club’s golf tournament at President Donald Trump’s golf course in Doral, Florida this weekend, Trump’s business announced the entire event would be cancelled.

“The event was originally booked with the understanding that it would be raising money to support a local charity benefiting underprivileged children,” a Trump Organization spokesperson told TPM in an emailed statement. “Now that the charity has removed its affiliation, the event will no longer be taking place at our property and all amounts paid will be refunded.”

The Washington Post first reported the event’s cancellation Wednesday.

The director of the youth-oriented South Florida nonprofit Miami All Stars told TPM Wednesday that he hadn’t known when he signed on that the event was organized by a local strip club and would feature exotic dancers as caddies. He only learned of the club’s involvement when The Washington Post called for an interview, he said.

Over the phone Wednesday, Miami All Stars director Carlos Alamilla told TPM, “I didn’t know there was a strip tease club involved in this.”

“You can’t mix kids with sex,” he said. “It just doesn’t jibe.”

Clearly this man doesn't understand who he was dealing with.

#5415 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

Trump's insecurities come blasting out again.

The President started his day posting a cryptic thread of tweets dragging social media, “fake news,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and ex-Veep Joe Biden, and bragging about how “great looking and smart” and stable he is.

It appears he was attempting to tweet about his impending social media summit, set to take place at the White House on Thursday, in which he apparently intends to perpetuate the conservative “shadowing banning” conspiracy theory — that social media companies are biased against right wing people. Instead of inviting the traditional social media outlets, Trump extended the invitation to series of far-right web personalities, including a cartoonist regularly accused of racism and anti-Semitism.

But his Thursday morning Twitter thread quickly gave way to jokes about serving as president for 14 years and attacks on Biden and Warren. He also appeared to attempt to tag another person in his rant about other possible presidents, but instead tagged a Twitter user with less than 400 followers and whose bio describes him as a retired soccer coach and teacher. It’s unclear who Trump intended to tag.

Finally, he ended his Twitter tirade bragging about his looks and mental stability.

Trump later deleted the entire thread and replaced it with the same tweets, but untagged the soccer coach. It appears he was trying to tag Alfred E. Newman, the fictional cartoon mascot for Mad magazine. The original account he tagged had the cartoon boy as the avatar and a similar Twitter handle.

Posted Image

#5416 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6025 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 July 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Looks like someone needs to change his meds.

#5417 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10170 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 July 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

After the non-profit found out that the event was a strip tees (would have been a great name for it) they bailed. As a result the event has been cancelled.

Clearly this man doesn't understand who he was dealing with.

He was lucky it was cancelled. If it'd gone off, Trump would have kept the proceeds and handed the kids the bill for costs.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5418 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6025 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

Here is what I've feared ever since Trump was elected by the electoral college. While he's busy playing reality tv and tweet wars which distracts the easily distractible media, behind the scenes his appointed people, like acting Chief of Staff Mulvaney, are doing what the far right wing has always wanted to do, decimate the regulatory system.

Instead, Mulvaney has focused much of his energy on creating a new White House power center revolving around the long-dormant Domestic Policy Council and encompassing broad swaths of the administration. One White House official described Mulvaney as “building an empire for the right wing.”

He has helped install more than a dozen ideologically aligned advisers in the West Wing since his December hiring. Cabinet members are pressed weekly on what regulations they can strip from the books and have been told their performance will be judged on how many they remove. Policy and spending decisions are now made by the White House and dictated to Cabinet agencies, instead of vice versa. When Mulvaney cannot be in the Oval Office for a policy meeting, one of his allies is usually there.

I'm not sure if this the result of some sort of master plan designed by Trump. I tend to think he is doing his own thing on the Twitter but is certainly amenable to whatever happens so long as he is assured that it is reversing Obama's stuff and anyway, regulation iz badd.

#5419 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1860 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

The only way to deal with this demolition crew is to get them out of there and rebuild.

#5420 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 15 July 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

Here is what I've feared ever since Trump was elected by the electoral college. While he's busy playing reality tv and tweet wars which distracts the easily distractible media, behind the scenes his appointed people, like acting Chief of Staff Mulvaney, are doing what the far right wing has always wanted to do, decimate the regulatory system.

The Democrats need to turn this into a political opportunity. Literally every single solitary thing that happens that can be even kind of traced back to deregulation needs to be tied around the necks of Republicans. Remember their screeching when an illegal immigrant killed somebody? It didn't matter that they committed crimes at a lesser rate than the U.S. population. Heck, we can take the same Republican tactic back to at least Willie Horton. So if cancer rates are up a bit in an area where coal ash regulations were relaxed then start screaming "REPUBLICANS SUPPORT KILLING FAMILIES FOR MONEY!" Somebody dies because of one removed safety regulation? "REPUBLICANS SAY YOUR LIFE IS WORTH SOMEBODY ELSE'S PROFIT!" And on and on.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Google