#5381 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6006 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostLFC, on 25 June 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Columnist E. Jean Carroll became the 22nd woman to accuse Trump of sexual assault. Remember that this number does not include his admitted perversion of ogling beauty pageant contestants as young as age 15 when they were undressed. One of Trump's supporters who used to work at the NY Post got the paper to kill the story off of their website. Not that the NY Post has ever been suitable for much of anything beyond wrapping fish.

It's already clear that Trump supporters don't care about his behavior in this regard; nor do they care about the treatment of children who've crossed borders with their parents; nor do they care about his obstructions of justice; nor do they care about his propensity to cozy up to certain dictators and strongmen. There are also a lot of people who simply don't pay attention and perceive this as all tribal noise. We are living in a Twilight Zone episode.

#5382 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1884 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 25 June 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

It's already clear that Trump supporters don't care about his behavior in this regard; nor do they care about the treatment of children who've crossed borders with their parents; nor do they care about his obstructions of justice; nor do they care about his propensity to cozy up to certain dictators and strongmen. There are also a lot of people who simply don't pay attention and perceive this as all tribal noise. We are living in a Twilight Zone episode.
His base could cheer him on if he went to the southern border with a bayonet and speared a bunch of immigrant children. But if one of his old paramours comes out and declares he paid for her abortion, then there would be trouble.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5383 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#5384 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5052 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

So his alibi is "I only rape people who are more attractive than that"?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5385 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 25 June 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

So his alibi is "I only rape people who are more attractive than that"?

He's consistent. He's used the same alibi before.

#5386 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 25 June 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

It's already clear that Trump supporters don't care about his behavior in this regard; nor do they care about the treatment of children who've crossed borders with their parents; nor do they care about his obstructions of justice; nor do they care about his propensity to cozy up to certain dictators and strongmen.

That's just not true. They do care, a lot. Those are some of the things they admire most about him.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5387 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 25 June 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

But if one of his old paramours comes out and declares he paid for her abortion, then there would be trouble.

You'd see abortion drop off the agenda almost as fast as Jerry Falwell put it on.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5388 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8055 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

But if one of his old paramours comes out and declares he paid for her abortion, then there would be trouble.

I'm surprised this hasnt happened already. He'd just deny it, of course.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#5389 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

Trump's personal lawyers, also known as the DOJ, tries and fails to block the emoluments case.

The federal judge in congressional Democrats’ Emolument Clause lawsuit against President Donald Trump has yet again rejected an attempt by the President to derail the case.

In a 12-page opinion Tuesday, Judge Emmet Sullivan rejected Justice Department lawyers’ attempt to delay the discovery phase of the suit by appealing Sullivan’s previous opinions.

Contrary to the requirements of the law governing such “interlocutory” appeals, Sullivan wrote, “the President has made little effort to demonstrate” that an appeal would “materially advance the ultimate termination of the litigation.”

He added later: “This case will be poised for resolution within six months; an immediate appeal would hardly materially advance its ultimate termination.”

In other words: Not good enough.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5390 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

More grift from the ego-driven manchild.

During the first year of Donald Trump’s presidency, the Trump International Hotel in Washington charged the Secret Service more than $200,000 in taxpayer money, including a bill topping $30,000 for two days of use, according to expense documents obtained by NBC News.

The documents, obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request covering Secret Service expenditures, detail money the agency spent at the property from September 2016 to February 2018, which came to a total of $215,254.

While the nature of the charges were not disclosed in the documents, the hotel five blocks from the White House has become a go-to venue for Trump and his supporters for various events, including a fundraiser the president attended Tuesday for his re-election campaign.

These type of events inevitably require Secret Service detail and heavy use of the property and food services to accommodate and feed personnel.

The agency paid $33,638 for unspecified charges over two days in June, which coincided with Trump's first re-election campaign fundraiser. Guests paid $35,000 a plate, according to The Washington Post.

Other charges paid out by the Secret Service include a bill for $14,900 for two days in June 2017 and another for $11,475 for two days the next month, according to the documents obtained by NBC News.

The Secret Service said in a statement Wednesday that it could not discuss costs or resources used to carry out its work.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5391 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#5392 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

Two assholes enjoying each other's company.

#5393 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

Yet another new low for the Trump administration. (Not a lowest low, just another hole in the soul of our nation.) Trump has desperately wanted a military show with him standing center stage for quite some time. He's going to get a mini version of it at the July Fourth celebrations in D.C. but that ain't all. It's a new brand of political corruption. And Republicans are all in.

We’ve seen all the stories about tanks in DC and the Trumpified Fourth of July celebration later this week. These things are wrong. They’re grotesque. But last night I saw something quite different. According to HuffPost, the RNC has been given tickets to distribute for the event. It’s already clear that this is in substance going to be another Trump political rally. But it’s on US government property. It’s paid for by the US government and in significant part by the US military. It not includes display of heavy weaponry. Trump will apparently have the heads of each uniformed service on stage with him as he speaks. Tickets distributed by the RNC are by definition used for fundraising purposes even if they are not directly sold to donors for a certain contribution price. They’re used to leverage political contributions.

As I said, the rest is grotesque. But most of what we’ve seen is about “norms”. This is different. There are all sorts of regulations and laws about commingling US government events and the President’s political party, especially the President selling military events to GOP donors to raise money for the President’s re-election campaign and for funds to retake the House in next year’s election.

Here are more details.

#5394 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

View PostLFC, on 02 July 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yet another new low for the Trump administration. (Not a lowest low, just another hole in the soul of our nation.) Trump has desperately wanted a military show with him standing center stage for quite some time. He's going to get a mini version of it at the July Fourth celebrations in D.C. but that ain't all. It's a new brand of political corruption. And Republicans are all in.

I just saw on the news this AM that his hijacking of celebrations to make it a political rally are going to siphon $2.5M from National Park Service fees that were slated for park operation and maintenance. Real nice. You's think somebody worth $8B (according to him) could pull that out of their pocket. [/snark]

#5395 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

We had a discussion elsewhere on the statutory (or not) origins of the military regulations against even so much as appearing at partisan events in uniform or insignia. Seems that they're statutory, which means that Trump doesn't have the authority to make exceptions. That so, the RNC tickets are evidence enough in advance that a court could enjoin the military officers from attending in uniform and the various military resources from being used (also maybe Park Service, dunno).

As it stands, the officers are going to be in hot water if they show up regardless of the injunction or lack thereof and I suspect that the JAGs are telling them so. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
— Nate Silver

#5396 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4434 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 03 July 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

As it stands, the officers are going to be in hot water if they show up regardless of the injunction or lack thereof and I suspect that the JAGs are telling them so. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Really? Are all the JAGs[1] good idealistic American citizens who uphold the Constitution? Like Supreme Court justices? Why, I bet some of them even vote Democrat!

[1] Judge Advocate General? I guessed that without googling. Gold star for Richard Theophrastus?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#5397 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

More on the NPS funds Trump is sucking up for his rally.

The "planning", in general, sounds like a complete cluster-f*** caused by Trump pulling this whole debacle out of his ass at practically the last minute.

Tanks and politicos are streaming into D.C. for Trump’s July 4 celebration.

But with two days to go, it’s chaos.

Vendors and officials involved with organizing Trump’s “Salute to America” event — set to be held at the Lincoln Memorial — told TPM that it was hastily planned, and as of Tuesday evening, just two days before the event, the military had yet to say where the dozens of tanks that have been ferried into the city will go on July 4.

“If any [military] assets were going to be placed anywhere or traverse city roads or city assets, we would be informed of that and help coordinate that,” Director of D.C.’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency Chris Rodriguez told TPM Tuesday afternoon. “So if and when that happens, we’ll let you know.”

The Salute to America event is crammed into the otherwise normal schedule of July 4 celebrations in the nation’s capital, which include a concert, parade, and fireworks display every year.

Trump’s Salute to America event is a separate hour devoted to Trumpworld, set to feature a speech from the President, a potential show of tanks and airplanes, and his own fireworks display. But it seems event was put together in a rush.

Phantom Fireworks CEO Bruce Zoldan, whose company is donating fireworks for Trump’s Salute to America event, told TPM that “this should have been planned a lot sooner than it was.”

“Typically, a show like this should be done six months in advance for preparation and planning,” Zoldan said.

Yet, Zoldan said he and Phil Grucci, who runs the family firm Fireworks by Grucci, only started talking about working on a show in February when President Donald Trump tweeted that there would be a “Major fireworks display” on the Fourth.

Grucci, who served as a vendor for Trump’s inauguration, then began reaching out to people in Washington and eventually signed on to run the fireworks show for Trump’s event.

Rodriguez, the D.C. official, told TPM that planning for Salute to America began sometime between April and May.

Officials involved in planning similar events suggested to TPM that the timeframe was drastically shorter than what would typically be expected for an event of this scale.

“This is going to look very militaristic, because the only organization that can pull it together on such short notice is the military,” said Greg Jenkins, a political consultant who ran Bush’s 2004 inaugural.

Another former official involved in planning the 1991 post-Desert Storm military parade in D.C. told TPM that it took nine months to pull the effort together.

“But we did not use tanks in the parade for the very reason the Trump Administration is being questioned about doing so: it does damage to the roads,” the official said.

#5398 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

Faux & Fiends is, as expected, Trumpsucking furiously in support of their puppet.

The Fox & Friends crew kicked off their Wednesday morning by sounding off on media coverage of President Donald Trump’s over-the-top 4th of July celebration.

“They find everything that he does so repulsive and so ridiculous and so overblown,” host Brian Kilmeade said after playing a clip of pundits criticizing Trump’s bash on MSNBC, NBC News, CBS and CNN.

“Shouldn’t this be a bipartisan issue?” co-host Ainsley Earhardt chimed in. “We’re celebrating America!”

It was bipartisan. Actually it was non-partisan. Trump decided to make it all about him, you dickheads.

#5399 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

The fluffing of Dear Leader continues. Sad.

President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign has been using stock video footage of people purporting to be Trump supporters in its Facebook ads to prove how Trump’s popularity is “higher than ever.”

Despite being edited with voiceovers singing Trump’s praises, “Tracey from Florida,” “Thomas from Washington,” and “AJ from Texas” can all be found on istockphoto.com–and for just $170, you too can own footage of Thomas, aka “Bearded and tattooed hipster coffee shop owner posing.”

“President Trump is doing a great job,” a female voiceover gushes over footage of “Tracey.” “I could not ask for a better President of the United States of America.”

For a few seconds, minuscule faded text appears in the bottom left of the videos that says “ACTUAL TESTIMONIAL. ACTOR PORTRAYAL.”

Journalist Judd Legum first flagged the fake footage last week.

Ironically, the videos of these “supporters” are captioned with Trump’s rant against “the constant stream of lies from the FAKE NEWS media” about his unpopularity.

#5400 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

Trump and his minions are nervous about the impact that the NRA's meltdown could have.

As the NRA implodes under a heap of scandal, President Donald Trump’s campaign staff and allies worry that the reelection effort will suffer without the gun group’s impressive reach and turnout abilities.

According to Politico, team Trump is afraid that the hobbled organization will be unable to mobilize its millions of members, especially in Rust Belt states.

The NRA, weakened by internal fighting, ousters and investigations, is being roiled by turmoil at the same time that the Koch network and the Chamber of Commerce have taken a step back from their once robust role in the election of conservatives.

“No organization has been more important to conservative voter education and engagement than the NRA. We all hope they’re able to mount the kind of effort in the 2020 cycle they have in the past,” Gregg Keller, a former American Conservative Union executive director, told Politico. “But in case they can’t, given their current situation, I hope they’re being forthright about that within the movement so others can pick up the slack.”

“The situation has folks nervous.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users