#5361 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostLFC, on 14 June 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

Looks like El Paso isn't the only city that Trump stiffed. In fact it was 10 cities.

Pity more of them don't insist on repayment, triple for late charges, before being allowed back next year.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5362 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

Is it just me or does Trump's latest gambit "We're going to deport millions of people starting next week!" have an air of desperation?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5363 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 18 June 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Is it just me or does Trump's latest gambit "We're going to deport millions of people starting next week!" have an air of desperation?
Don't you mean TRIUMPH? He's delivered on so many of his other promises, that he can now focus on the Final Solution!
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5364 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5633 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

Not just you. He falls back on immigration as the ultimate evil that he alone can save America from whenever he senses he is losing public confidence.

#5365 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

If he can't stop the caravans coming north, the only logical thing to do is start one going south.

Simple re-election strategy: stoke immigration fear...the browns are coming, the browns are coming; and, call his opponent(s) names. Winning formula as long as the economy does well.

#5366 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 18 June 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

Not just you. He falls back on immigration as the ultimate evil that he alone can save America from whenever he senses he is losing public confidence.

Reportedly whenever the energy at the Trump rallies during 2016 election would sag, he would start the chant "Who's gonna pay for the wall?" and that would electrify his base[1] audience. Now that the wall is built, his new slogan would be "How many are we gonna chuck over the wall?"

[1] yes, the adjective

#5367 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 18 June 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

Now that the wall is built...

Did I miss something?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5368 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 18 June 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

Now that the wall is built, his new slogan would be "How many are we gonna chuck over the wall?"
Our troops get to bayonet the young kids and chuck them over like spearfishing into a boat. The older ones will require a catapult.

And the crowds will sing "Praise Be"

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5369 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 18 June 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Did I miss something?

Yes ;)

#5370 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 18 June 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Simple re-election strategy: stoke immigration fear...the browns are coming, the browns are coming; and, call his opponent(s) names. Winning formula as long as the economy does well.

He's pulling his trump last-ditch Doomsday Weapon -- with 17 months to go?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5371 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1654 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:37 PM

"Last ditch Doomsday Weapon" is wag the dog. Hints are out there.

#5372 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:43 PM

A wartime President! :huh:

#5373 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:59 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 18 June 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Did I miss something?
The Wall doesn't actually have to exist, you know. He just has to declare it built.

Then the Emperor himself came with his noblest noblemen talk show hosts, and the swindlers press secretaries each raised an arm as if they were holding pointing at something. They said, "These are the trousers uprights, here's the coat vertical slats, and this is the mantle cross beam," naming each garment component. "All of them are as light strong as a spider web bank vault. One would almost think he had nothing on on the border, but that's what makes them so fine."
"Exactly," all the noblemen Fox News hosts agreed, though they could see nothing, for there was nothing to see.

#5374 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7838 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

View PostJackD, on 18 June 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

I fear Trump will stop at nothing to get re-elected, even nuking or at least bombing Iran. The GOP is already hauling out abortion (again) and deporting the brown skins with force (it makes better headlines that way).

Will that be enough down the home stretch? Maybe it will be as McCain suggested 'bomb, bomb, bomb; bomb bomb Iran...
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#5375 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5633 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:47 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 18 June 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

I fear Trump will stop at nothing to get re-elected, even nuking or at least bombing Iran. The GOP is already hauling out abortion (again) and deporting the brown skins with force (it makes better headlines that way).

Will that be enough down the home stretch? Maybe it will be as McCain suggested 'bomb, bomb, bomb; bomb bomb Iran...

I dunno. He brags about how he won't allow us to be in a shooting war, but the group around him (Bolton, Pompeo, Saudi Arabia, UAE) are in favor of it. I fear they'll figure out how to get Jared to convince him that everybody else is right.

#5376 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

View PostJackD, on 18 June 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Yup. Now go back and have a look at how long it took to keep 43 popular after the body bags started coming back. In Iran, it's not going to be a nearly bloodless invasion because these are sharp cookies.

Imagine that they move all of their portable arms and AA out of the cities and into the rough country. Cities don't resist, all of the violence hitting international news is of US troops committing war crimes with the blessing of the President, instapardoning anyone who's charged. Meanwhile, every US aircraft runs the risk of SAMs at any moment (which, BTW, runs up the war crimes rate.) Every truck convoy runs the risk of effective mines and well-trained antivehicular fire from cover over every meter of terrain -- which is often blocked.

Think of all the fun the Germans had in the Balkans, and then recall that the Iranians have been playing the same games for centuries too, PLUS having studied the past 80+ years of modern asymmetrical warfare in forests, jungles, and mountains. They've been paying attention to what worked and what didn't in Afghanistan, be sure.

Start the clock. Count the body bags. Watch for the videos of Americans firing on unarmed civilians every night.
— Nate Silver

#5377 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

Instapardon... hmmm... like it. Possibly pre-pardon and a kill count leaderboard too. Then American populace can truly get behind the war. Who's up, who's down... minute by minute commentary. Pentagon can play first person videos to gin up support. CNN will show AR/VR reenactments. Device manufacturers can sell, sell, sell. New content producers and media labs will abound. The entire country will participate in the war effort. Trumptopia will reign.

#5378 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

a kill count leaderboard
Primo!
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#5379 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

TPM has a short piece on the Hope Hicks testimony that is titled Open For Business. She believes Trump is ready to collude ... again.

I wouldn’t say this is altogether surprising. The President is pretty convincing on this front. But according to Jerry Nadler, in her closed door testimony, Hope Hicks told the House Judiciary Committee that she believed President Trump was serious when he said he would again accept foreign assistance in the 2020 presidential election. “Ms. Hicks made clear that she understood the president to be serious when he said that he would accept foreign interference in our elections.” The transcript of her testimony is expected to be released either today or tomorrow. As I noted last night, I expect it to come through channels like this.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5380 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

Columnist E. Jean Carroll became the 22nd woman to accuse Trump of sexual assault. Remember that this number does not include his admitted perversion of ogling beauty pageant contestants as young as age 15 when they were undressed. One of Trump's supporters who used to work at the NY Post got the paper to kill the story off of their website. Not that the NY Post has ever been suitable for much of anything beyond wrapping fish.

The Trump-supporting former editor of the New York Post and close associate of Rupert Murdoch ordered that the newspaper’s coverage of E. Jean Carroll’s sexual assault allegation against President Trump be removed from the website, CNN Business was first to report.

A person inside the Post confirmed to TPM that the article was removed from the website on Friday afternoon.

According to two people familiar with the matter who spoke to CNN Business, Col Allan, editor-in-chief-turned-adviser to the tabloid, issued the demand. The story, which was written by reporter Joe Tacopino, was no longer available on the website by Friday afternoon and the Associated Press version of the allegations was also taken down, according to CNN Business.

Allan has made his affinity for Trump clear. He left as top editor of the tabloid because his support of “the Donald” made it difficult to run the newsroom. For years, Allan worked closely with Murdoch, the Trump-supporting owner of News Corporation, which owns the Post, as well as Fox News and the Wall Street Journal.

People at the Post told CNN Business that it’s understood that Allan was brought back as an adviser to make the paper more pro-Trump. A person inside the Post told TPM that Allan’s return has had a negative impact on office morale.

“Since Col and Michelle (Gotthelf) came on, people in leadership on the digital team have been leaving left and right. Our digital managing editor and deputy online editor left within months of each other,” the person said.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users