#5341 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

And stop calling me Shirley.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#5342 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

Trump continues to melt down into incomprehensibility. I can hardly wait to hear how his team tries to desperately spin this one.

President Donald Trump on Friday sent out a scientifically illiterate tweet in which he scolded NASA for any plans it might have for going to the moon — and then bizarrely claimed that the moon was “part” of the planet Mars.

“For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon – We did that 50 years ago,” the president wrote. “They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5343 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

Nicolle Wallace says that Trump's weak point is a real fear of going to prison. Pelosi mentioned it and he's been in Trumper Tantrum mode over her ever since. He knows how much he's broken the law so it is likely a justified fear.

MSNBC anchor Nicolle Wallace revealed what she views as President Donald Trump’s “soft underbelly” on Friday’s “Deadline: White House.”

Prior to her journalism career, Wallace was a top Republican strategist who served as White House communications director in the George W. Bush administration.

“Donald Trump’s soft underbelly has been exposed,” Wallace reported.

“Apparently, talk of being sent to prison is his real trigger,” she continued. “For the second straight day, the president is ranting about Nancy Pelosi, saying she’d rather see him serve time in prison for his alleged crimes than be impeached.”

“Today the president is calling Nancy Pelosi disgusting and a disgrace with this tweet sent on his way home from the UK,” she noted.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5344 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4780 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

“For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon – We did that 50 years ago,” the president wrote.

He's definitely slipping. Anyone in his base can tell you that was fake news!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5345 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7813 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

“For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon – We did that 50 years ago,” the president wrote.

I dunno... maybe Donald should consider building a Trump tower on the moon.

Then living there.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#5346 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9426 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 07 June 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Then living there.

If he leaves the windows open there won't be any air pollution getting in, either!
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5347 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4780 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

OTOH, his skin tone would provide good camouflage on Mars.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5348 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:52 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 07 June 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Then living there.

A Marching Morons solution?

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#5349 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:55 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 07 June 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

OTOH, his skin tone would provide good camouflage on Mars.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#5350 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4780 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, but Arnold is a RINO!

#5351 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9426 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

View PostLFC, on 07 June 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Nicolle Wallace says that Trump's weak point is a real fear of going to prison. Pelosi mentioned it and he's been in Trumper Tantrum mode over her ever since. He knows how much he's broken the law so it is likely a justified fear.

For his own protection, like Manafort he would have to be kept in protective isolation (read: solitary confinement.)
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5352 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 08 June 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

For his own protection, like Manafort he would have to be kept in protective isolation (read: solitary confinement.)
Poor guy, alone with his thoughts at long last
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#5353 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9426 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

The silence would be deafening.
— Nate Silver

#5354 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

Trump continues screeching about his wingnut conspiracy theory that the tech companies are out to get him.

President Trump on Monday morning continued his call-out campaign against tech companies, furthering a far-right conspiracy theory that Silicon Valley is out to get conservatives like himself.

During an interview with CNBC on Monday morning, Trump complained about the European Union’s antitrust lawsuits against some of the largest U.S. tech companies like Facebook, before suggesting the U.S. should be doing the same thing. He then claimed that tech companies “discriminate” against him.

“Well I can tell you they discriminate against me,” Trump said. “You know, people talk about collusion. The real collusion is between the Democrats and these companies. ‘Cause they were so against me during my election run. Everybody said, ‘If you don’t have them, you can’t win.’ Well, I won. And I’ll win again.”

Over the weekend, Trump called on Twitter to bring back the “banned Conservative Voices,” likely referencing Twitter’s recent move to kick some conspiracy theorists, like Alex Jones and others espousing racist views, off the platform.

#5355 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

From the Department of Well Ain't That Ironic:

A tree gifted by French President Emmanuel Macron to President Donald Trump as a symbol of the “ties” that bind them has died, according to French daily newspaper Le Monde and Agence France-Presse.

Though much fanfare was made over the Macrons and the Trumps shoveling dirt onto the oak sapling, it was soon removed to be put in “quarantine” which then-French Ambassador Gérard Araud said is standard for plants brought into the U.S.

The tree was reportedly never planted and died in quarantine.

#5356 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

The Grifter in Chief has ensured that the Emoluments Clause means nothing.

Officials from at least 22 foreign governments have spent money at Trump Organization properties, NBC News reports. In what the network called the “most comprehensive possible list of foreign spending at Trump properties,” the report details previously unreported hires, rentals, and purchases of properties owned by the president’s company. At least nine foreign governments reportedly rented or purchased property in Trump buildings—Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, China, Malaysia, Slovakia, Thailand, India, and the European Union. Nine hosted events at the properties—Afghanistan, Cyprus, Ireland, Japan, Philippines, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. Trump has previously promised to donate any profits originating from foreign governments, and the Trump Organization has sent $343,000 to the U.S. Treasury during his presidency, but it’s not known exactly how that figure was reached.

#5357 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

Our wannabe fascist whines about the media to another wannabe fascist.

Trump tells Poland’s rightist/authoritarian President: “Much of the media unfortunately in this country is corrupt. I have to tell you that, Mr. President.”

#5358 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 04 June 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Looks like El Paso isn't the only city that Trump stiffed. In fact it was 10 cities.

Officials in El Paso complained last week that they were still waiting for President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign to pay up for expenses related to providing extra police, fire department and other services for a rally months ago. Now it turns out there are nine more cities across the country that haven’t received a dime from the campaign for similar charges, according to The Center for Public Integrity.

Five of the 10 invoices date back to 2016, when Donald Trump was campaigning to become president.

Ironically, Trump often gushes at rallies about police officers and other brave first responders, but his campaign is apparently stiffing police and firefighters across the nation.

“Do we love law enforcement or what?” he asked at a rally in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, in October. Apparently, his campaign didn’t love them enough to even bother to respond to a $16,191 bill for city police and other safety costs, according to the report by the nonprofit CPI in conjunction with NBC and CNBC.

The expenses can be significant, especially for smaller towns like Lebanon, population 21,000. The Trump campaign bill would cover two days of police force operations there, according to CPI.

The Trump campaign owes a total of $841,219 to cities from Burlington, Vermont, to Green Bay and Eau Claire in Wisconsin, Mesa, Arizona, and Spokane, Washington, according to invoices. The largest bill — $470,000 — was for El Paso for a February rally, including $381,000 for extra police and $61,000 for fire department services. Erie, Pennsylvania; Billings, Montana; and Tucson, Arizona, are also still waiting for payment.

“When one considers how much money campaigns raise and spend, it does not seem unreasonable to expect some degree of reimbursement for such demands for service,” Richard Myers, executive director of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, told CPI.

El Paso’s mayor, Dee Margo, called it a “character integrity issue” when people “don’t pay their bills.”

Spokane City Council member Kate was even less diplomatic: “Let’s be honest, when does Trump ever pay his bills?” she asked CPI, referring to his multiple bankruptcies and lawsuits filed against him for nonpayment of bills.

#5359 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

Andrew Sullivan: Donald Trump and the Art of the Lie

“I like the truth. I’m actually a very honest guy,” President Trump told a slightly incredulous George Stephanopoulos this week. Like almost everything Trump says, it was, of course, a lie. But it was a particularly Trumpish kind of lie. It was so staggeringly, self-evidently untrue, and so confidently, breezily said, it was less a statement of nonfact than an expression of pure power.

For Trump, lying is central to his disturbed psyche, and to his success. The brazenness of it unbalances and stupefies sane and adjusted people, thereby constantly giving him an edge and a little breathing space while we try to absorb it, during which he proceeds to the next lie. And on it goes. It’s like swimming in choppy water. Just when you get to the surface to breathe, another wave crashes into you.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#5360 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5586 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

The deal with Mexico.. The text of the letter is in the article.

The text of the letter reveals a commitment to begin discussions for a future agreement — essentially making it an agreement to negotiate an agreement — and is, as many expected, not a “deal.” It does, however, point to a future deal that could contain a win for Trump.

Dated June 7, the letter states that the US and Mexico “will immediately begin discussions to establish definitive terms for a binding bilateral agreement to further address burden-sharing and the assignment of responsibility for processing refugee claims of migrants.”

This future agreement would include “a commitment under which each party would accept the return and process refugee status claims, of third-party nationals who have crossed that party’s territory to arrive at a port of entry or between ports of entry of the other party.”

In the letter, Mexico commits to examining its current immigration control practices and identifying legal changes that may be necessary to bring the outlined agreement into effect. It also sets a timeline for assessing the effect of changes agreed to in early June.

Under the presidential threat of escalating tariffs on all Mexican goods starting at 5 percent, the two countries announced each would take steps to address immigrants and asylum seekers traveling to the US from South America. The US promised to speed up the processing of asylum claims; Mexico promised to deploy 6,000 members of its National Guard, mostly at its border with Guatemala.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users