5624 replies to this topic

#5241 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1808 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

Trump cannot stop micromanaging his border wall, down to the color (black: visually intimidating, hot to the touch in the summer) and the medieval-type spikes he wants mounted on the top.

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#5242 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 17 May 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Posted Image

Look! I see Trump right up front! Oh, wait. That's a literal horse's ass. My confusion is understandable, though.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5243 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 15 May 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

I think my favorite sentence from that is...

His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

Dare I trust that everyone here gets the reference as well as the rhetorical similarity?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5244 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 May 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

At the end of the project they believe they actually worked hard and were key to a project's success. (If it's a massive failure it's somebody's else's fault, of course.)

Reminds me of the situation where a product was regularly throwing alarms for power integrity failure (the sampling point had high consumption but poor distribution.) In the midst of a discussion on how to solve the problem (lack of real estate to increase distribution) he ordered that the power be sampled at the power source, no more alarms. Then fired those who objected.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5245 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4304 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 17 May 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Dare I trust that everyone here gets the reference as well as the rhetorical similarity?

Yep. One of our great English writers who are in fact Irishmen.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#5246 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

So, like the routine campaign music, Trump wants The Wall to be a copyright violation?

What a surprise!
— Nate Silver

#5247 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4902 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

Is the Mouth of Trump (aka Huckabee-Sanders) going to put in an appearance?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5248 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 May 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

Look! I see Trump right up front! Oh, wait. That's a literal horse's ass. My confusion is understandable, though.

How could you have imagined Trump out front?
— Nate Silver

#5249 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1808 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 17 May 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#5250 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4902 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

The concept of Sierpinski oversight comes to mind, in which there's an infinite series of areas about which you aren't allow to ask questions.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5251 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1791 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

Jennifer Rubin continues to slowly redeem her earlier RW myopia
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5252 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4304 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

President Donald Trump may be preparing to issue a controversial pardon for a Navy SEAL accused of war crimeswho was reported by the men who served with him.

Gallagher is charged with firing on civilians in Iraq in 2017, and fatally stabbing a wounded teenage ISIS fighter. He allegedly bragged about racking up civilian kills and threatened members of his SEAL team if they reported him. He has pleaded not guilty.

According to a military investigation report viewed by the Times, Navy SEAL commandos from Team 7’s Alpha Platoon were warned by their superiors — friends of Gallagher — that they risked their careers by speaking out against him.

Oh, dear me! Why didn't he just stick to pussy grabbing? At least the law could at least have had a chance to fix him. At the moment the biggest thing worrying me is the Supreme Court when something really big comes before it, like Roe v. Wade — or the legality of fighting a war.

You are in big trouble with this bloke. Which means we are. And another thing: will the UK go all in with the USA if there is out-and-out war with Iran? Boris Johnson may be Prime Minister at the time. And even if he's in for only six months, it may overlap the invasion. At that moment I will be more worried about his stupidity than his depravity.

#5253 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13309 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 20 May 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

At the moment the biggest thing worrying me is the Supreme Court when something really big comes before it, like Roe v. Wade — or the legality of fighting a war.

We tried to tell those that wanted to waste their vote on a third candidate or not even vote at all that this was the most important election of our lifetimes, but they pooh-poohed it with "they always say that." Well guess what. It really was and they blew it. I hope they are the first to die in Iran.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#5254 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 20 May 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

Also on the list are some fine people who were up on charges for torture. Pardoning them (and I'm sure POTUS has no clue about this one) puts POTUS squarely in the crosshairs of the US-drafted Convention Against Torture's extraterritoriality [1] provisions. Unlike Obama, who was popular, and Bush (who was considered clueless), there are a lot of places that would love a chance to haul Trump up on charges.

[1] Say that fast
— Nate Silver

#5255 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4304 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 20 May 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

. . . the US-drafted Convention Against Torture's extraterritoriality [1] provisions.

[1] Say that fast

No, I'll just say "antidisestablishmentarianism" and "antiinterdenominationalistically", for each of which there are live issues in the Church of England, to address which these words could be usefully employed. (Don't you, like, just dig my syntax, Dad?)

#5256 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 20 May 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Don't you, like, just dig my syntax, Dad?

Is that pronounced "sin tax" or "sint axe?"
— Nate Silver

#5257 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4304 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 20 May 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

Is that pronounced "sin tax" or "sint axe?"

Of course it is!

#5258 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8139 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

Gentlemen, you're having a good time this morning. I have one silly thing to add to the fun. I give you the Okee Dokee Brothers:

https://www.youtube....h?v=nbXUra9pvkw
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#5259 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

View Postpnwguy, on 19 May 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Behold how we treat the unfaithful. Republicans always fall in line ... or else.

Well, that didn’t take long. Michigan Rep. Justin Amash is facing a Republican primary challenger just days after he provoked fury in the party by saying on Twitter that he believes President Donald Trump has committed impeachable offenses. Michigan State Rep. Jim Lower announced Monday morning that he will run for the seat Amash has held since 2011, in a direct response to Amash’s impeachment remarks. In his announcement, Lower described himself as “pro-Trump” and added: “Congressman Justin Amash tweets yesterday calling for President Trump’s impeachment show how out of touch he is with the truth and how out of touch he is with people he represents.” Amash was the first Republican member of Congress to say the president “engaged in impeachable conduct.” Trump lashed out Amash following his remarks, calling the congressman a “total lightweight” and “loser.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5260 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

Another former Congressional Republican, Joe Walsh, speaks up. Every current one but Amash (Hmmmm. Sounds foreign.) remain in a defensive crouch.

Former Republican congressman Joe Walsh, who served Illinois’s 8th congressional district in the House of Representatives, on Monday slammed his fellow party members for rushing to criticize Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI) after the GOP congressman called for impeachment proceedings against the president.

Walsh’s remarks came after Amash on Saturday said on Twitter that he supports holding impeachment proceedings against Trump after having read special counsel Robert Mueller’s report in its entirety. Following Amash’s tweets, Republicans in Congress slammed the Michigan Republican, with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) going so far as to question whether Amash is “even in our Republican conference as a whole.”

Speaking with CNN’s Brooke Baldwin, Walsh explained that Republicans are rushing to defend Trump because, simply, “they want to get reelected.”

“Justin Amash spoke the truth,” Walsh said. “ … And this is what’s so pathetic: it took real courage for Amash to say what he said. But it shouldn’t take real courage to just speak the truth. He called out Trump for being a dishonest tyrant who has obstructed justice, and Brooke, anybody whose read that Mueller report knows that this president obstructed justice, but, again, he said publicly, Brooke, what near every Republican privately believes but they’re scared to say it because we’re no longer the party of issues. We are now the party of Donald Trump, Brooke. You got to get down on your knees and bow to this president if you want to keep your office.”

Asked about Mitt Romney (R-UT), who on Sunday said he disagrees with Amash’s assessment of the Mueller report (despite having previously claimed he was “sickened” by Trump’s actions), Walsh said the Utah senator’s tepid response is “classic Mitt Romney wanting to have it both ways.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users