#41 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 13 March 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

Religion appears to be at the heart, but I disagree with those who think it was the "major" thing.

No, it never was. The Pulpit and the Stump -- the two pillars that have kept the "poor white trash" working diligently for their "betters" [1] for centuries. With the third leg being supported, at all times, by the foot on the neck of the others.

[1] and against their own interests.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#42 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostBanty, on 13 March 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

Well, does that actually rise to incitement to riot - as in *that* statement/*that* riot in a prosecutable sense? I'm not talking generalities.

Broad enough incitement -- license to kill, I'll make it good -- would be perfect cover for gang "muscle." I'm pretty sure that there have been ways worked out to keep "will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?" from being a safe question to ask when surrounded by your enforcers. Likewise, telling a cheering mob that what protesters need is to be "roughed up, or worse" and the Boss would "fix it" with the Law -- well, we'll see.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#43 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Has Trump started blaming all this on the Black Panthers yet? If not, he will soon.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#44 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

Born in 1938 , march , Valby , Copenhagen , but not claiming expertise
In political matters, but rather a small understanding of ,in particular ,anti
Semitism and in my case an everlasting disdain for the German people.
Trump is no Hitler but being a buffoon he will run his course. Cruz is a
different matter following up on Republican obstructionism and racism
which has been going on for well over seven years he just may be within striking distance.

#45 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

Trump, throw pebbles? I think we all know better than to think he would be satisfied with just throwing pebbles.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#46 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostHockeyDon, on 14 March 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

Trump, throw pebbles? I think we all know better than to think he would be satisfied with just throwing pebbles.

Yeah, he'd probably throw the whole Flintstone clan. And the Rubbles too.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#47 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7889 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

And the Rubbles too.

He does like his Putin. ;)
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#48 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

Well, we knew this would happen. No official connection to The Donald, but ...
— Nate Silver

#49 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7889 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 March 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

Well, we knew this would happen. No official connection to The Donald, but ...

From the piece: "Within hours, the account reportedly had over 500 followers, and members were already asking for 'uniform suggestions.'"

Sounds more like Wrestle Mania and all their fake drama than a political gathering.

Posted Image
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#50 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

Krugman weighs in on The Trump Phenomenon (NYT paywall):

— Nate Silver

#51 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

So, in the commie-libtard state of North Carolina they did look at the possibility of charging The Donald with incitement to riot. They decided not to (why this is "debunked"), but I think it's a heads-up for his campaign. That charge is a possibility, and a county sheriff in a rebel state is one who asked the same question I did.

http://www.thedailyb...iting-riot.html
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#52 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4706 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

I saw a photo of some Trump supporters sporting armbands!
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#53 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4246 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

View PostBanty, on 14 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

So, in the commie-libtard state of North Carolina they did look at the possibility of charging The Donald with incitement to riot. They decided not to (why this is "debunked"), but I think it's a heads-up for his campaign. That charge is a possibility, and a county sheriff in a rebel state is one who asked the same question I did.

Please note my bolding in the above; as an ill-informed British person I don't understand.

North Carolina = Confederate state = racist uncivilised headbanger Dixieland state? Like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana? Please explain.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#54 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 14 March 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

Please note my bolding in the above; as an ill-informed British person I don't understand.

North Carolina = Confederate state = racist uncivilised headbanger Dixieland state? Like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana? Please explain.

No, it means that North Carolina cannot be dismissed as a crunch-granola coastal state.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016

#55 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 14 March 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

Confederate? Absolutely. Some parts are civilized, though, unlike Mississippi.

The Old Confederacy consisted of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Some have since become more civilized than others, while others have done their best to keep the 20th Century from intruding (Louisiana) or even evicting it completely (Mississippi.) Texas solved the problem by creating its own alternative 20th Century where the South won the War and mostly lives there now.
— Nate Silver

#56 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostJ-CA, on 14 March 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

I saw a photo of some Trump supporters sporting armbands!

Photoshopped?
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#57 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2614 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

SOUTH Carolina has probably the best claim of any state to being the birthplace of the Confederacy and a lot of people there still see that as something to be proud of. Its politics and politicians are often repellent and creepy. North Carolina is a whole 'nother animal. Like every other state in the Old South, it's got more than its share of racists, but it's not as endemic and the state does have some liberal enclaves.

#58 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5736 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Having spent about 5 weeks in Winston-Salem NC this last summer and fall, I can say that WS is not a liberal enclave. It strikes me that the only possible liberal enclave there is Chapel Hill and maybe Raleigh. The stuff I was hearing in terms of removing statues and memorials to Confederate generals in the aftermath of the shooting last summer makes me think the South Shall Rise Again types are ascendent. The state house is filled with right wingers.

#59 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 14 March 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

North Carolina is a whole 'nother animal. Like every other state in the Old South, it's got more than its share of racists, but it's not as endemic and the state does have some liberal enclaves.

NC is most definitely a "mixed bag" when it comes to its politics. Daughter Dear sees all of these at her small college campus [1] NE of Charlotte. The mountains, the attitude is "leave us the hell ALONE!", and definitely SoCon -- AND the Confederate Battle Flag waves PROUD. Central, near Charlotte (home of the HQ of Bank of America and of NASCAR), Bankers' Paradise, NASCAR stop, and really SoCon. As GV pointed out, Raleigh/Durham (Research Triangle, and home of SAS), the Biotechies and other tech-type entrepreneurs hold sway and trend liberal. Outer Banks, a mixture of developers wanting to profit off the land and the hippie remnants/new-wave eco-tourism promoters who want to preserve it, so trend liberal on environmental issues. It's been pretty red in recent state-level elections, much to my liberal friends' consternation.

GV, funny thing, one of my old grad-school compatriots has settled in the W-S area & is hard-core liberal. His flirtation with local politics was brief.

[1] A couple of her college compatriots were silent protesters at the recent NC Trump rally and got an eyeful.

Edited by Bact PhD, 14 March 2016 - 08:50 PM.

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#60 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Interesting on this question of incitement to riot:

http://www.pbs.org/w...otected-speech/

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users