5277 replies to this topic

#5261 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

I'm sure there are all kinds of excuses you can make for the MAGA morons but seriously isn't there just a point where they support Trump because they're bad people in at least some fundamental ways?

“What I want from a president is the rest of the world to look at him and go, ‘Don’t mess with that guy, he will get even,’” he said.

Franks then went on to elaborate about what he does not want to see from a presidential candidate.

“I don’t want kinder, gentler,” he said. “I don’t want some female that wants her agenda.”

Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) similarly told the Times that many people in the area have long been angry about its economic decline and will respond well to someone who promises to hurt others on their behalf.

“The communities were cut loose and ignored and then they voted for Trump because at least he’s punching somebody in the face, and no one else is,” Ryan explained.

It's disgusting that the group that most bashed inner city blacks for having their hands out (after literally centuries of being explicitly beaten down because of their skin color) now have their own hands out without so much as an inkling of the irony.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5262 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostLFC, on 20 May 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

I'm sure there are all kinds of excuses you can make for the MAGA morons but seriously isn't there just a point where they support Trump because they're bad people in at least some fundamental ways?

Another example of the MAGAts being morally evil is Trump's pardoning of war criminals. Faux News is in the thick of driving this. I'm sorry but there is no legitimate "other side" to this. It's not a case of two valid views. You either believe murder is acceptable or you don't. I guess foreigners' lives don't have an value. I wonder if foreign fetuses have a right to life.

If the president pardons U.S. servicemen accused and convicted of war crimes, you can thank one of Donald Trump’s favorite cable-news hosts.

Over the weekend, news broke that President Trump is preparing to pardon several U.S. servicemen involved in high-profile cases of gunning down civilians or killing detainees, with the White House having already ordered that the necessary paperwork be drawn up ahead of the coming Memorial Day. The news came roughly two months after Trump publicly intervened in what he called “restrictive” confinement conditions of one of the alleged war criminals.

At the heart of both these moves has been a months-long lobbying campaign by Pete Hegseth, a Fox & Friends co-host and a buddy and informal adviser of the president’s.

Since as early as January, Hegseth has repeatedly pressed the president to support the accused and convicted servicemen. Among those Hegseth—himself an Iraq War veteran and formerly the head of the conservative group Concerned Veterans for America—has advocated for is Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL platoon leader set to stand trial on May 28 for allegedly shooting civilians, including a school-age girl, and knifing to death a captured ISIS fighter receiving medical treatment in Iraq in 2017.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5263 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

Trump's golf outings have now cost the American taxpayers more than $100 million.

President Donald Trump’s golf habit has cost taxpayers $102 million and counting, HuffPost estimated in a Wednesday report, based on an analysis of everything from Air Force One fuel to golf carts.

Trump criticized former President Barack Obama’s golfing, but so far, per HuffPost’s count, the current president has racked up more than twice as many golf days as Obama had at this point in his first term. And Trump’s trips have promoted many of his own golf clubs, benefitting his own company’s bottom line.

The cost comes down mostly to air travel, both for Air Force One and the fleet of planes necessary to move Trump’s motorcade, security and support staff, HuffPost reported. But there are costs on the ground, too, in the form of operational expenses like tent and golf cart rentals for Secret Service agents.

HuffPost cited a January Government Accountability Office report tallying the expense of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago trips in the first quarter of 2017.

#5264 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

I personally would love (and dedicate my tax $) to keep him on the golf course 24/7. Less damage to the country that way.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5265 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9312 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 22 May 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

I personally would love (and dedicate my tax $) to keep him on the golf course 24/7. Less damage to the country that way.

If it includes lightning storms, I'll contribute.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5266 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 22 May 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

If it includes lightning storms, I'll contribute.

And alligators!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5267 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:55 PM

And pythons.

#5268 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9312 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Popcorn Alert!

Seriously, I was wondering about this. Trump's plan to pardon war criminals was, I thought, not going to go over well. The terms "detrimental to discipline" come to mind. IIRC UCMJ Article 134, in particular:

Current and former military officers have urged the White House not to pardon service members and security contractors implicated in war crimes, warning that forgiving their offenses would send a dangerous signal to U.S. troops and potential adversaries.
“Absent evidence of innocence or injustice, the wholesale pardon of U.S. service members accused of war crimes signals our troops and allies that we don’t take the law of armed conflict seriously,” retired Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a tweet Tuesday. He added: “Bad message. Bad precedent. Abdication of moral responsibility. Risk to us.”

I like to think that my late father would have been livid at the idea that his -- and others' -- honorable service would be stained by the acceptance of war crimes. He was very, very proud of belonging to a military that executed its own for crimes against civilians.

ETA: $HERSELF doesn't have to wonder about her father. He was, quote, "spitting mad" about My Lai.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5269 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Pelosi speculates that Trump wants to be impeached so that he can then be exonerated by the subsequent Senate trial.

That is plausible except that I remain unsure that he thinks so far ahead. With his attempts to squash House issued subpoenas failing and being in New York courts too, he may just be flailing around. I do think he planned his walk out yesterday. He thinks that's a power move and has done it before with Pelosi and Schummer. He needs to look tough.

#5270 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1562 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 23 May 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Pelosi speculates that Trump wants to be impeached so that he can then be exonerated by the subsequent Senate trial.

That is plausible except that I remain unsure that he thinks so far ahead. With his attempts to squash House issued subpoenas failing and being in New York courts too, he may just be flailing around. I do think he planned his walk out yesterday. He thinks that's a power move and has done it before with Pelosi and Schummer. He needs to look tough.
He needs a milkshake
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#5271 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yes, Trump really is the white supremacists' most powerful friend.

An unnamed senior FBI counterterrorism official told CNN that while terror threats abroad have remained the same, the agency is now dealing with an increase in domestic terror cases in recent months.

The FBI did not tell CNN exactly how many white supremacist-tied terror cases there are. CNN noted that First Amendment protections can complicate crackdowns on domestic terrorism, and there is no law that directly targets domestic terrorism in the U.S.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump’s administration has hampered the government’s efforts to fight domestic terrorism. The Department of Homeland Security shut down an intel group dedicated to analyzing homegrown terrorists in April, and the administration refused to renew funding for the DHS’s anti-domestic terror program last year.

#5272 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI) isn't backing down and lays out his case for impeachment on Twitter.

Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI) earned the condemnation of his Republican peers, cold shoulders from large donors, a presidential tweet, and a primary challenger after he became the first congressional Republican to call President Donald Trump’s actions impeachable.

On Thursday, he defended the impeachment call with an essay-length Twitter thread, adding to one he posted on Monday defending his call for impeachment.

Below are some highlights, or you can read the full thread here:

Justin Amash
@justinamash

Mueller’s report describes a consistent effort by the president to use his office to obstruct or otherwise corruptly impede the Russian election interference investigation because it put his interests at risk.

#5273 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

Meghan McCain, now a poster child for a no-talent child riding daddy's coattails, is pulling the "Why can't we all just get along?" card. It's pathetic but it is to be expected from those who still can't break from being all in for Team Republican but who actually realize that their side is a complete and total unpatriotic, power hungry, incompetent shitshow. After years of taking it in the shorts the Democrats are fighting back just a bit in the environment that the Republicans created. What does that mean to Ms. McCain? Of course that means both sides are to blame. (I have a family member in the same boat. It's just too hard to admit that the side you supported for years really is orders of magnitude worse.) The false equivalency is strong with this one ... and many others.

The View’s Meghan McCain seemingly took issue Thursday with her colleagues using humor to address the unending crises in the Trump administration, calling for more bipartisanship and insisting that they all need to “put this crap aside.”

Touching on the president’s announcement that he won’t work with Democrats on legislation as long as they continue to investigate him, co-host Sunny Hostin got things started Thursday by saying it is “an impeachable offense” that Trump is claiming he won’t meet his constitutional duties as president unless Congress foregoes theirs.

Liberal colleague Joy Behar followed that up by noting Trump said he doesn’t “do cover-ups” after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused him of engaging in one.

“I wish my stand-up act was as funny as that line,” the veteran comedian snarked, drawing laughs from the crowd. “Let me count the ways. His high-school grades, his taxes, his financial records, his conversations with Putin… his hush money payments. They’re all cover UPS. Think about Stormy Daniels.”

McCain, meanwhile, lamented that it’s “really sad” that the “days of Ronald Reagan and Tip O’Neill are long gone,” nostalgically referencing a mythical time when the former president and House speaker oversaw an era of harmonious bipartisanship.

Saying she doesn’t understand why Pelosi talked about Trump engaging in a cover-up, she complained that this is “party posturing on both sides” before essentially endorsing a presidential candidate.

“Joe Biden’s message of working with the other side is looking really good to me,” McCain declared to applause. “I think America can do so much better than this.”

Moments later, Behar said that she didn’t “appreciate this false equivalency” and wanted to remind the panel that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell “famously said” that his main objective when Barack Obama was elected was to obstruct the president.

“This business of Nancy Pelosi is just as bad as he is is a bunch of baloney in my opinion,” she added, causing McCain to assert that “everyone is at fault.”

“Not everyone’s at fault -- look at the original mover here, Mitch McConnell,” Behar responded, to raucous applause.

“As long as you demonize all Republicans—but even the spirit of what you said makes me not want to have a conversation with you,” McCain fired back, leading Behar to shout that Republicans “are all behind [Trump].”

“We have to put this crap aside!” McCain continued. “All of us, here at The View as well, and politicians in D.C., at a certain point we have to work together for America.”

This is concern trolling to deflect your team's flaws at its worst. This reminds me much of Rod Dreher on gay rights. When his side was winning he was all in on treating LGBTQ people like second class citizens. When they won the right to marry, just like other people, he called for respect. Now that he has Trump and probably SCOTUS he's lashing out a bit more.

PS: Hey, Meghan. Please acknowledge your father's part in this when he picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate, thrusting her and her brand of hateful politics onto the big stage.

#5274 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Ah Meghan. We're not demonizing all Republicans, just the ones in the US Senate and US House and people who back Trump no matter what he did or does.

#5275 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

Joe Scarborough claims to have spoken to people close to Trump who fear that he is in pre-dementia. My first thought was "pre?"

MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough said Friday that people close to the President have told him that they worry he’s “pre-dementia.”

“The people closest to him told us that they feared that he was in mental decline,” Scarborough said. “People very close to him told us that he feared he was pre-dementia, that he had changed. You watch Donald Trump in the late 1980s, even in the 90s, you watch him now, he is completely changed.”

He contrasted him with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), who he sees as mentally acute.

Mika Brzezinski cut in: “sharp as a tack.”

Trump. George W. Reagan. What is it with Republicans supporting mentally deficient presidents?

#5276 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3622 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostLFC, on 24 May 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

Joe Scarborough claims to have spoken to people close to Trump who fear that he is in pre-dementia. My first thought was "pre?"

Trump. George W. Reagan. What is it with Republicans supporting mentally deficient presidents?

I'm shocked you didn't already have that answer, considering one hobby you show considerable interest in; Birds of a feather flock together.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#5277 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

More dangerous, un-American ranting from fascist dictator wannabe Trump accusing people of treason.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump rattled off a long list of people he believes to be guilty of treason, including former FBI lawyer Lisa Page, former FBI agent Peter Strzok, former FBI director James Comey and former acting FBI director Andrew McCabe.

Critics were quick to point out that Trump has a dangerously misguided idea of treason.

On Friday, NBC correspondent Pete Williams denounced the president for casually accusing people of a crime officially punishable by death.

“First of all, it applies against the United States, not someone running for president,” said Williams.

“Donald Trump, when he was running for president, he was a private citizen. So nobody can commit treason against a private citizen. It’s impossible,” he continued.

“Secondly, it means more than just being disloyal. It’s a totally different thing. It means leveling war with a designated enemy against the United States,” he added. “Julian and Ethel Rosenberg who were convicted and put to death for giving away atomic energy secrets. They couldn’t get charged with treason because at the moment Russia wasn’t a designated enemy of the United States,” he said.

“That’s why it doesn’t apply to political disputes or even somebody trying to undercut a presidential campaign if, indeed, that’s what really happened.”

#5278 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

Another day, another meltdown. This piece lists 5 crazy rants Trump rattled off to reporters. I like this one for its total detachment from reality and personal responsibility. These psychotic breaks seem to be getting more frequent and more blatant though we don't really know how much former administration employees previously hid them from the public.

4.) Trump falsely claims that his poll numbers are “very good” and complains they’d be vastly higher without negative media coverage.

When asked about his reelection chances, Trump tried to claim that his current poll numbers are “very good,” when in reality his average approval rating at the Real Clear Politics average of polls is just 43 percent, while his disapproval rating is stuck at 54 percent.

He then turned his ire toward the news media.

“If you people gave straight news, I’d be at 70!” Trump complained. “I’d be maybe at 75! But you don’t give straight news, you give fake news!”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users