The Trump Phenomenon

3217 replies to this topic

#1 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

I'm proposing this as a catch all ("all things Trump" - like) thread. So as to unclutter the all things republican election thread.

Very insightful comment in response to this NYT article

Enjoy Trump's antics. But be aware that his supporters don't care about Trump's "policies". They don't care much about Trump either. The thing that motivates and unifies them is their passionate (and well-justified) rejection of the Washington establishment. Trump just saw a parade going by and jumped in front of it. A movement can't sustain itself for long on what it doesn't like, so this is an unstable situation. It is about to get even more interesting.

I agree wholeheartedly.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#2 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

Some dude had a few harsh words on the whole "Trump Phenomenon."
The buck stops here; the rest is someone else's problem.
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
First they came for the Muslims, and we said "Not this time, motherfucker!"
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7468 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Obama said he was unsurprised by the billionaire businessman and reality TV star’s rise.
“How can you be shocked?” he [Obama] asked to laughter from the crowd, according to a transcript. “This is the guy, remember, who was sure that I was born in Kenya — who just wouldn’t let it go. And all this same Republican establishment, they weren’t saying nothing. As long as it was directed at me, they were fine with it. They thought it was a hoot, wanted to get his endorsement. And then now, suddenly, we’re shocked that there’s gambling going on in this establishment.”

No surprise here. Just another billionaire with enough time on his hands to watch, learn, listen. A true gambler who knows which pots to fold, hold and play.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

#4 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4317 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

http://www.thedailyb...rump-rally.html

Good times!
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#5 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7468 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

Lucky Sperm Club learned the media lesson.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

#6 jdd_stl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

I'm counting on someone here convincing me that Donald Trump will not become President Donald Trump.
"Wherever the law is, crime can be found." -- A. Solzhenitsyn

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first six of them sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln

"If you are the big tree, We are the small axe. Sharpened to cut you down (well sharp). Ready to cut your down." -- Bob Marley

#7 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

View Postjdd_stl1, on 12 March 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

I'm counting on someone here convincing me that Donald Trump will not become President Donald Trump.

I don't think any of us are fool enough to think that some October Surprise couldn't end us up in that cesspool.
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#8 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 March 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

I don't think any of us are fool enough to think that some October Surprise couldn't end us up in that cesspool.

or that Trump is above cooking an October surprise right up for us!
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#9 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Cruz is a far worse candidate than Trump.

#10 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

Agreed.
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#11 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6966 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:25 AM

Trump seems to have given permission to too many people that allows them to express their most base instincts. "If Donald can say things like that, so can I."
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#12 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2962 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:27 AM

Basic populist stuff, but featuring a guy with enough media savvy to get free coverage. I prefer candidate Trump to candidate Cruz (although my money, lterally, is on Cruz).

I have no faith in candidate Clinton, just kind of hoping, in a general way, she won't fuck it up. And then hoping, if she wins, she won't start another stupid war. That's a lot of ifs.

#13 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

The only good things I can think of regarding Trump:
  • He's ripped the mask off of the Republican scam of the past 36 years
  • He still looks like the easiest for the Democratic nominee to beat
  • He's going to be a disaster down-ticket.

#14 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

How funny is it that Cruz, the guy pretending to be an outsider from the inside is going to be beaten by a guy who probably never thought about public policy for more than two seconds and really IS an outsider? Cruz, in retrospect, had a brilliant strategy. He figured it all out, decided what was going to the votes of the disaffected Republicans, and built his strategy and campaign around it, only to have the whole thing upended by this moronic, blustering, self-centered blowhard. The universe is a cruel place.

#15 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3020 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to send his supporters to the campaign rallies of Democrat Bernie Sanders, showing no sign of toning down his rhetoric after clashes erupted at his own events over the weekend

Trump blamed supporters of Democratic candidate Sanders for the incidents in Chicago, where scuffles broke out between protesters and backers of the real estate magnate. He called the U.S. senator from Vermont "our communist friend".

On Sunday, he went a step further in an early morning post on Twitter: "Bernie Sanders is lying when he says his disruptors aren't told to go to my events. Be careful Bernie, or my supporters will go to yours!"

And they will, won't they? And what a swell party that will be!

You are all Americans (except J-CA, I think). I am not. Americans have always struck us constipated Limeys as jolly good fun, but perhaps a teeny bit over the top sometimes. Just how bad is all this?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#16 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7242 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

You know, I am among the first to scream "Godwin" when Nazi comparison appear, but I have to say that the more I watch this rolling Trump catastrophe, the more it does remind me of Nazi Germany. Not to the same extent or degree, by far. But it reminds me of it more than anything else I have seen in the country in my lifetime.

http://www.clickonde...-at-trump-rally

It's absolutely sickening. And the fact that this guy even has a chance to become president makes me want to move back to Canada. If I had known what a large percentage of this country is comprised of boorish, ignorant, bigoted assholes, I likely never would have come here in the first place.

The "watermelons on the White House lawn" stuff in 2008, the Idiot from Wasilla having a chance to become VP, talk radio hate blather, Fox News lie-a-thons, on and on.. and despite all that, this Trump stuff is still 10 levels beyond. The right has become a complete national embarrassment.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#17 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

View Postnuser, on 12 March 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

Cruz is a far worse candidate than Trump.

I dunno - they're unacceptable in different (although overlapping) ways.

A tragedy of Trump may be the he is obscuring what a disaster Cruz is as well.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#18 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 13 March 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Just how bad is all this?

I think that's a question we're all asking ourselves. I'm beginning to wonder if some of this nonsense at Trump rallies isn't being stage managed by...I don't know who. I can conjecture all sorts of scenarios. Trump likes the tough guy image and sends people out to "protest" so that he can posture toughness and send his thugs out to handle them. Others want to provoke Trump into revealing he has plans to be an evil dictator. In my imaginings I can see Cruz and his people as puppet masters, provoking Trump and Trump supporters to make voters turn away from Trump leaving Cruz the last man standing. I just don't know.

One thing I do know. I don't like this one little bit. I was once a little amused by Trump and the responses he was getting but then he wasn't laughed out of the primaries. Now I perceive creepy undercurrents in Trump and Cruz campaigns that make me very nervous. I always perceived Cruz as one of those guys on a mission from God to take over the country. Neither of them should be president, of that I am completely convinced.

#19 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

View Postcmk, on 13 March 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

You know, I am among the first to scream "Godwin" when Nazi comparison appear, but I have to say that the more I watch this rolling Trump catastrophe, the more it does remind me of Nazi Germany. Not to the same extent or degree, by far. But it reminds me of it more than anything else I have seen in the country in my lifetime.

This the reason that you want to call out the trivialization of the Holocaust with Hitler/Nazi accusations. So that when it does come along the accusations are not meaningless.
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#20 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Trump now 'considering' paying the legal fees of the man who sucker punched the protester at his rally.

He also requested that law enforcement arrest protesters at his rally. He's annoyed they just 'put them outside'.

Non violence being met with violence and jail. Where have I seen this film before?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users