Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3650 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Cultural Imperialism?
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#43 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 March 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

The problem is that I never heard the term "pillock" in Monty Python or Coupling, my two main sources for British slang. "Twit", "git", "bollocks", "pissed", and other terms all showed up more than once, though I had to ask a British friend what it meant when they said a woman didn't have "kit on."

I'm surprised you never heard "pillock" in Coupling. It started in 1962 in Steptoe and Son (remade in the States as Sanford and Son), but it's still pretty current. Though in a series of only twelve (? I never watched it myself) half-hour programs they can't get in every bit of current slang, I suppose; there is so much of it.

I wish I'd said "wazzock" instead. Originally purely Yorkshire. That had a terrific vogue about twenty years ago for a couple of years, but only verbal antiquarians like me use it now. We want it to "be saved for the nation", like an old building. I wonder if googling that would get you anywhere.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#44 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 03 March 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

"Sod off", perchance?

View PostHockeyDon, on 03 March 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

Cultural Imperialism?

HockeyDon gets the gold star. MSheridan: no credit. "Sod off" is extremely current, and in the scratchy contemporary British political atmosphere is essential and used many times a day (as many as "what a load of bollocks"). But I'm a Quaker. I'm nice to people. Peace, Love and Vegetable Rights!

#45 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

We are now discussing 'pillock' in a thread titled "Guns"?

Having googled it, I guess one is often a substitute for the other.

Although "Guns" in American slang is a different bit.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#46 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

So I didn't derail the thread after all???

#47 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 03 March 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

What a pillock! Why didn't he use a camera, like everybody else?

Oh, you meant 'what a dick' -(Anatomy) archaic informal a penis
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#48 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 03 March 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

"Sod off", perchance?

Sounds like somebody getting rid of their lawn. (I just pictured Mr. Miyagi as a landscaper. "Sod off, sod on!")

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 03 March 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

I'm surprised you never heard "pillock" in Coupling. It started in 1962 in Steptoe and Son (remade in the States as Sanford and Son), but it's still pretty current. Though in a series of only twelve (? I never watched it myself) half-hour programs they can't get in every bit of current slang, I suppose; there is so much of it.

Coupling ran for four years and 28 episodes and I'm sure covered a lot, but it's always possible that it was uttered but slid right past me. When they speak quickly and the accents are heavy, it's easy to do. I remember attempting to watch an episode of "Two Pints of Lager and a Bag of Crisps" with my wife. The accents were so thick that we gave up in 10 minutes because we couldn't follow the dialog.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#49 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

Looks like no guns at CPAC!

On Thursday afternoon, the head of the National Rifle Association gave a fiery speech to a room filled with the country’s most dedicated conservative activists.

Just one thing: Nobody was packing heat.

That’s because the nation’s top conservative conference is now an official gun-free zone.

Security here is conspicuously tighter this year than in recent years past. Attendees were greeted by metal detectors, and at one point a lengthy line of conference-goers stretched through the hotel as they waited for security guards to search their bags.

Perhaps the most glaring new addition were signs near metal detectors with a decidedly gun-unfriendly message.

“NOTICE METAL DETECTORS IN USE,” the signs read. “Absolutely No Weapons Allowed.”

The Conservative Political Action Conference brings together the right’s most devoted footsoldiers, including a host of passionate Second Amendment defenders.

Security here is conspicuously tighter this year than in recent years past. Attendees were greeted by metal detectors, and at one point a lengthy line of conference-goers stretched through the hotel as they waited for their bags to be searched by security guards.

Ian Walters, CPAC’s communications director, said the extra security was due to the number of presidential candidates coming with Secret Service entourages in tow.

Conservatives often argue that the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. But at CPAC, the only good guys with guns were cops. An officer whose name badge read “Muldoon” and who didn’t want to give his first name said the conference policy was simple: no guns.

“The policy has pretty much been no firearms,” he told The Daily Beast. “Some people got up in arms about that.”

This sounds like CPAC rules, not the venue's. I remember a year or two ago there was a convention where open carry was restricted by the venue for some group (maybe even the NRA) but now this is a known issue. As a result there's no excuse for supposedly strong 2A defenders to pick a strictly gun free venue. So no matter what, they should be someplace where concealed carry at the very least is unrestricted. Unless, of course, they aren't buying what they're selling.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#50 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#51 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 04 March 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Looks like no guns at CPAC!

This sounds like CPAC rules, not the venue's. I remember a year or two ago there was a convention where open carry was restricted by the venue for some group (maybe even the NRA) but now this is a known issue. As a result there's no excuse for supposedly strong 2A defenders to pick a strictly gun free venue. So no matter what, they should be someplace where concealed carry at the very least is unrestricted. Unless, of course, they aren't buying what they're selling.

Wow. So much for trusting those God-fearin' responsible gun owners out there. It's GREAT to have 24 year old teachers packing heat in our kindergartens, MANDATORY for drunk college students and Walmart pervs, but not at a political rally? Well, well- looks who're the special 'fraidy cats now.

If anybody ever needed to know how weak the "gun responsibility" or even "anti-gun" lobbies are, this is the best example, so far. We hear nothing, and this should be a huge, huge highlight. Spend some money...
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#52 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

Lord a'mighty. This sounds like it was written by The Onion. WTF is WRONG with these people?

As part of its new family-oriented website, NRA Family, the organization reimagined popular fairy tales by arming the main characters with guns. The stories, which the NRA posted on its site and in the site's newsletter, feature illustrations and stories by Amelia Hamilton, a conservative blogger and author.

The first, published on March 17, is called Hansel and Gretel (Have Guns), a new spin on the classic Brothers Grimm story. Instead of being nearly eaten by the witch, the brother and sister duo rescue another boy with guns loaded. They then to return to their village and tell their parents, who storm back guns-a-blazing to capture the witch.

Another story published Friday is a take on Little Red Riding Hood called—you guessed it—Little Red Riding Hood (Has a Gun). It follows a similar narrative, with both granny and Little Red packing heat and using their guns to scare the wolf so he can be tied up and carried away.

"As they slowly began to feel calm, Red got her grandmother chicken soup and a cup of tea," the NRA version of the tale reads. "They sat in companionable silence, happy in the security that comes with knowing they could defend themselves."

#53 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

Red got her grandmother chicken soup and a cup of tea

Guns and chicken soup. This can and must be a spoof.

#54 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

Brought to you by the What Could Possible Go Wrong? Department of Guns, Guns, Guns, and Only Guns R Us...

Americans will soon be able to buy a smartphone-shaped gun that can hold two bullets and easily slip into a pocket.

The Minnesota-based company Ideal Conceal says it will sell the new weapon from mid-2016.

“Ingeniously designed to resemble a smartphone, yet with one click of the safety it opens and is ready to fire,” the company says on its website.

“Smartphones are everywhere, so your new pistol will easily blend in with today’s environment,” it adds. “In its locked position it will be virtually undetectable because it hides in plain sight.”

The gun is a double-barrelled .380 caliber folding pistol that will sell for $395, the company says.

#55 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2589 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

"Ingeniously" is the word the editor thought worked best in this headline? Seriously?

#56 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5586 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

How about "sneakily"?

#57 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:34 AM

View PostMSheridan, on 29 March 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

"Ingeniously" is the word the editor thought worked best in this headline? Seriously?

With scare quotes. Give the guy some credit for a homeopathic dose of snark!

#58 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13030 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:59 AM

Comments are a hoot.

A safe choice would be a phone that looks like a doughnut. A hungry cop may confiscate your phone, it but at least you would be less likely to be shot.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#59 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostTraveler, on 30 March 2016 - 06:59 AM, said:

Comments are a hoot.

This one was a beaut...

Add "selfiecide" to your vocabulary.

#60 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

https://www.facebook...48990671953257/

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

4 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users