1781 replies to this topic

#1761 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12001 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

This really isn't about BLM, or even the insanity of Republicans. It is, if anything, commentary on what passes for "gun culture" today intersecting with another group of idiots looking for an excuse to make trouble. And people die.

Anatomy of a Catastrophe
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1762 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

I keep seeing soft references, but no hard evidence, that his mother dropped him off. I also saw in the link that maybe it wasn't his AR but rather one that was loaned to him. Do either of these things have any hard evidence backing them up?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1763 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

Do either of these things have any relevance? Neither affects that he went looking for trouble, found it, then murdered two and attempted to murder many more.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#1764 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7219 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

HockeyDon, on 01 September 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

Do either of these things have any relevance? Neither affects that he went looking for trouble, found it, then murdered two and attempted to murder many more.

He's an immature individual playing cop. Reminds me of the Zimmerman guy who killed Martin in Florida while playing security guard .

#1765 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

LFC, on 01 September 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

I keep seeing soft references, but no hard evidence, that his mother dropped him off. I also saw in the link that maybe it wasn't his AR but rather one that was loaned to him. Do either of these things have any hard evidence backing them up?
I've seen similar reports. Bad enough that he did it, worse that if it's true he had not one, but two like-minded enablers/accomplices/accessories.

HockeyDon, on 01 September 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

See second sentence above.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#1766 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13781 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:57 PM

DC, Great article. Why the cops never seemed to have gone after the real miscreant protesters and thugs has always baffled me. Philly did arrest 1000 people that were found out by perusing social media and security camera footage. But most have been let off with no more than a slap on the wrist.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1767 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12001 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 02 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

View PostTraveler, on 02 September 2020 - 01:57 PM, said:

DC, Great article. Why the cops never seemed to have gone after the real miscreant protesters and thugs has always baffled me. Philly did arrest 1000 people that were found out by perusing social media and security camera footage. But most have been let off with no more than a slap on the wrist.

I suppose that's better than a slap on the back.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1768 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

Missouri is pushing a law forward that would make it legal for a child to receive a gun without a parent's knowledge or permission. W...T...F?

Missouri lawmakers advanced a bill Monday that would legally allow people to give firearms to children without their parents’ permission after the governor had initially sought to increase the penalty for the crime.

“Recklessly” giving guns to minors without parents’ permission is currently a misdemeanor offense under Missouri law. But the state House in a voice vote Monday advanced a bill that would ax the crime.

Lawmakers revisited the policy after Republican Gov. Mike Parson asked them to ramp up the penalties for giving firearms to minors from a misdemeanor to a felony offense during a special session to address violence in the state’s cities.

Parson has said the aim of the proposed gun policy change is to crack down on criminals who use firearms unlawfully then hand them over to minors to avoid being caught with them by police.

But Republican lawmakers shifted gears after reexamining current law, which some said would allow grandparents or other family members to be charged with a misdemeanor for taking children hunting without their parents’ permission.

The latest version of the bill would end the misdemeanor crime of giving guns to minors without parents’ permission but would make it a felony to give firearms to children to avoid felony arrest or criminal investigation.

Republican St. Louis-area Rep. Dean Plocher said the change would protect good-faith actors “so that those that are trying to help their grandson go hunting or something like that are not going to be wantonly charged with a crime.”

St. Louis Democratic Rep. Peter Merideth said the change does “the opposite of what the governor called us here to do.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1769 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2481 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

LFC, on 06 September 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

Missouri is pushing a law forward that would make it legal for a child to receive a gun without a parent's knowledge or permission. W...T...F?
If Grandpa gives the boy a Koran, that would be a capital offense.

A gun is an object of worship in these communities. And they can't tolerate false idols......well, apart from PGOTUS
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1770 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7219 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:40 AM

LFC, on 06 September 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

The response to that will be: If a minor can get an abortion without parental consent, then a minor can get a gun without parental consent!

#1771 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3033 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

golden_valley, on 06 September 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

The response to that will be: If a minor can get an abortion without parental consent, then a minor can get a gun without parental consent!

Do you think there's any value in parental consent when parents are like...

Posted Image

#1772 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

The IRS is going after Wayne LaPierre.

The Internal Revenue Service is conducting an investigation around allegations of criminal tax fraud in longtime NRA leader Wayne LaPierre’s personal tax returns, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.

The scope of the investigation is unclear. It comes after New York Attorney General Letitia James sued the gun group in August, seeking its dissolution over allegations of massive self-dealing. James at the time said she had referred the question of whether LaPierre evaded taxes to the IRS.

In that lawsuit, James singled out LaPierre and other top NRA executives for allegedly using the non-profit as their personal piggy bank. LaPierre, for example, allegedly billed the NRA for lavish expenses including taxidermy services for animals killed on big game hunting trips, while his wife would allegedly run expenses for her personal private jet travel through the gun group.

The question for James and other investigators would likely be whether indulgences that LaPierre received from the NRA qualified as some sort of taxable income, and whether the personal tax returns that are the reported subject of the IRS’s investigation were accurate.

The NRA paid LaPierre $2.2 million in 2018, the non-profit’s regulatory filings show.

#1773 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5284 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 October 2020 - 03:35 PM, said:

As they (or their ancestor outfit) went after Al Capone. Sometimes they're useful when the DOJ isn't doing its thing. In both cases, LaPierre and Capone, it comes too late.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#1774 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2481 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 October 2020 - 03:35 PM, said:

Sounds like the next case Bill Barr will interfere with and Trump will pardon in advance.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1775 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

Ken and Karen of St. Louis have been indicted. I believe in the right to bear arms. I also believe in the law requiring responsible use of arms. Coming out onto your law and pointing firearms at people who are simply walking past is not responsible in any way, shape, or form.

A grand jury on Tuesday indicted the St. Louis couple who displayed guns while hundreds of racial injustice protesters marched on their private street.

Al Watkins, an attorney for the couple, confirmed to The Associated Press the indictments against Mark McCloskey, 63, and his wife, Patricia McCloskey, 61. A spokeswoman for Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner declined comment.

The McCloskeys, who are both attorneys, have become folk heroes among some conservatives. They argue that they were simply exercising their Second Amendment right to bear arms, and were protected by Missouri’s castle doctrine law that allows the use of deadly force against intruders. The case has caught the attention of President Donald Trump, and Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson has said he will pardon the couple if they are convicted.

The McCloskeys also were featured speakers on the first night of the Republican National Convention. They’ve accused the “leftist” Democratic St. Louis leadership for their plight.

But Gardner, a Democrat, charged the couple with felony unlawful use of a weapon. She said the display of guns risked bloodshed at what she called an otherwise peaceful protest.

Watkins said that addition to the weapons charge, the grand jury indictment includes a tampering with evidence charge. It wasn’t clear what led to that additional count, he said.

The McCloskeys contend the protest was hardly peaceful. They say protesters came onto the private street after knocking over an iron gate and ignoring a “No Trespassing sign,” and said they felt threatened.

Notice that they're still clinging to the fully disproved lie of "knocking over an iron gate."

#1776 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

LFC, on 07 October 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

Ken and Karen of St. Louis have been indicted. I believe in the right to bear arms. I also believe in the law requiring responsible use of arms. Coming out onto your law and pointing firearms at people who are simply walking past is not responsible in any way, shape, or form.

Notice that they're still clinging to the fully disproved lie of "knocking over an iron gate."
Let them say so in court
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1777 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7219 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

LFC, on 07 October 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

I feel a little sorry for them. They bought into the idea that brandishing a weapon was a powerful show of force that would make their enemies slink away. The attempt to use them as examples of strong citizens using the 2nd Amendment to defend themselves only worked for people who already were on their side. Their lack of ability to handle the weapons (so lacking that even I can see it) is on display for the world to see and snicker at.

#1778 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2334 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:56 PM

The indictment will make them martyrs to the 2d Amendment cult.

#1779 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

JackD, on 07 October 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

The indictment will make them martyrs to the 2d Amendment cult.

I thought that was supposed to be Philando Castile. [/snark]

#1780 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:27 AM

Too nutty to work in a gun shop.

Eric Trump will no longer visit a gun store that used to employ a man now accused of plotting the kidnapping of the governor of Michigan, the gun store’s owner said.

The Trump campaign initially announced Eric’s planned Tuesday stop at the New Hudson, Michigan store on Friday, a day after the FBI announced that it had thwarted a plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D). The Detroit News first reported the campaign’s change of plans Monday.

Six people face federal charges and seven face state charges in connection with the alleged plot.

Huron Valley Guns owner Ed Swadish did not disclose the name of the former employee, but a Facebook post from the store stated that the man had been fired after three weeks of work in February this year, the News reported. The former employee “would show up for work in a LOT of tactical gear,” the store’s post said.

“He ended up being one of the fringe characters arrested for the Governor Whitmer kidnapping,” the store added, referring to the alleged plot to kidnap the governor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users