Guns

1770 replies to this topic

#1621 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3486 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:15 PM

It seems to have concluded without incident.

I am relieved.

#1622 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3907 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

View Postgmat, on 20 January 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

Thousands of armed morons. What could possibly go wrong? (There were only hundreds of them in Charlottesville)

https://www.npr.org/...apitol-on-mlk-d

So stupid and counter-productive to their stated goal.

People are fed up with shootings at work and schools and other places to gather to the point where reasonable measures have the support of a great majority of citizens. In short, they're afraid of crazy people with guns. The response from the gun-nuts is to arm themselves to the teeth and make a showing of force to [I guess] scare the shit out of the very people that were already afraid of crazy people with guns? What a completely moronic plan. Really, it would be hard to come up with a more effective demonstration in favor of reasonable measures than this.

I said something very similar to this previously in this thread: Often the very people in favor of gun ownership are those doing the most harm to the very idea of gun ownership. SMH.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#1623 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 20 January 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

So stupid and counter-productive to their stated goal.

People are fed up with shootings at work and schools and other places to gather to the point where reasonable measures have the support of a great majority of citizens. In short, they're afraid of crazy people with guns. The response from the gun-nuts is to arm themselves to the teeth and make a showing of force to [I guess] scare the shit out of the very people that were already afraid of crazy people with guns? What a completely moronic plan. Really, it would be hard to come up with a more effective demonstration in favor of reasonable measures than this.

I said something very similar to this previously in this thread: Often the very people in favor of gun ownership are those doing the most harm to the very idea of gun ownership. SMH.

And anyone would expect such idiots to be capable of rational actions or planning? I know, silly question.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#1624 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#1625 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3907 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

View PostAnBr, on 20 January 2020 - 07:13 PM, said:

And anyone would expect such idiots to be capable of rational actions or planning? I know, silly question.

You hit the nail on the head with that one.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#1626 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3486 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

One thing that kept it from turning into Charlottesville on steroids, I think, was that Antifa was on the same side as the right-wing in this demonstration.

Antifa groups are big 2A believers, because they believe any gun laws will be unfairly enforced to the disadvantage of already oppressed people.

#1627 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#1628 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36315 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

View Postgmat, on 20 January 2020 - 11:39 AM, said:

If somebody inside the fence (what the gun-nuts are calling “the kill zone”, because they “can’t protect themselves” and “can’t get out”) gets shot, they get to blame Northam and the Ds

And they wonder why we want to regulate what firearms they can own.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1629 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36315 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:42 PM

Trump just made exporting arms easier.

Gun control advocates slammed the Trump administration Thursday for siding with gun manufacturers and lobbyists after the White House slashed the oversight process for exporting weapons overseas.

In a new rule entered into the Federal Register on Thursday, the administration shifted oversight of many arms exports from the U.S. State Department to the Department of Commerce, a move expected to boost sales of ammunition and weapons including sniper rifles, AR-15s, and other semi-automatic firearms.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1630 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 20 January 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

People are fed up with shootings at work and schools and other places to gather to the point where reasonable measures have the support of a great majority of citizens.

A lot of things have the support of a great majority of citizens but never even get brought up in legislatures.

Our system of government was designed to be immune to "mob rule" and seems to be doing well on that front.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1631 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3907 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 25 January 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

Our system of government was designed to be immune to "mob rule" and seems to be doing well on that front.

Let me introduce you to a Trump Rally.
Well, fuck.

#1632 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:46 AM

View PostHockeyDon, on 26 January 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

Let me introduce you to a Trump Rally.

They're not the mob -- they're just simple farmers and working people. These are people of the land. They're the ones that the Founders entrusted with the Second Amendment to protect us against the tyranny of Urban Elites.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1633 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 26 January 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

They're not the mob -- they're just simple farmers and working people. These are people of the land. They're the ones that the Founders entrusted with the Second Amendment to protect us against the tyranny of Urban Elites.

https://youtu.be/ZZvT2r828QY
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1634 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:33 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 26 January 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

Nice when people pick up classical references. And no mistake, that was one of the absolute classics. Had to be shot once and perfect, because Little wasn't even clued in to the to the punch line -- when he cracked up, it was for real.
— Nate Silver

#1635 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2901 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 25 January 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

The threat to our system of government comes less from mob rule. Rather it is authoritarianism. Divided power is the mechanism intended to keep authoritarianism at bay. However the underlying assumption of checks and balances is that the forces that check each other would zealously guard their own prerogatives. That has been badly undermined.

Every model strains at the edges. Have we reached the boundary conditions of the applicability of our model (of self governance)? Would the model hold under these conditions?

Evidence suggests the institutions that undergird our liberties have suffered severe assaults and are badly weakened. Will these survive fresh round of more sophisticated attacks? The bulwark is badly damaged. Will the ballasts hold? I'm not as sanguine as you we have the right antibodies in sufficient numbers to counter the pathogens. In fact I'm apprehensive.

#1636 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 26 January 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

The threat to our system of government comes less from mob rule. Rather it is authoritarianism. Divided power is the mechanism intended to keep authoritarianism at bay. However the underlying assumption of checks and balances is that the forces that check each other would zealously guard their own prerogatives. That has been badly undermined.

The Founders' definition of "mob rule" was the masses rising up against the sage guidance of their betters. Which to me (despite the fact that I probably would have been considered one of those "betters" back then) sounds pretty authoritarian.

Evidence suggests the institutions that undergird our liberties have suffered severe assaults and are badly weakened. Will these survive fresh round of more sophisticated attacks? The bulwark is badly damaged. Will the ballasts hold? I'm not as sanguine as you we have the right antibodies in sufficient numbers to counter the pathogens. In fact I'm apprehensive.

I think you very much misunderstand me then.
— Nate Silver

#1637 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7047 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

A friendly little rally at the Kentucky State House. Hint: the below is not a security guard in the building.

Posted Image

Click on the link to see people in their best WalMart camo. Makes everyone feel all safe and secure.

#1638 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2558 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 31 January 2020 - 06:00 PM, said:

A friendly little rally at the Kentucky State House. Hint: the below is not a security guard in the building.

Posted Image

Click on the link to see people in their best WalMart camo. Makes everyone feel all safe and secure.

The commentary is a bit of a gas, too:
(on one of those photographed, one Mr. Pinkston)

The dude says he’s 61 but has a Vietnam vet hat on? He’d have been 15 when that war ended. These guys are way full of shit. And is a requirement tat you look like a fat ass doofus in order to get in on this action?

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#1639 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2558 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

Flori-DUH, again:

https://www.nbcnews....luding-n1128336

The shooting was reported just after 2:30 p.m. at Victory City Church.

A 15-year-old boy and adult male were pronounced dead at the scene. A woman and a juvenile were also shot and taken to a hospital for treatment, Riviera Beach police said in a press release.

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#1640 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36315 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 31 January 2020 - 06:00 PM, said:

The ones who are unmasked are an old guy (and a liar claiming service per the comments above) and several plump, poorly groomed, nerdy looking perpetual adolescents. They're the types who need guns to feel like men.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users