Guns

1561 replies to this topic

#1541 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5051 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

View PostLFC, on 27 September 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Now that Trump is tied up in the impeachment scandal for the foreseeable future LaPierre and the NRA and holding his feet to the fire.

Lol! They should realize he's not capable of keeping his word on anything.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1542 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:12 AM

View PostLFC, on 27 September 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Now that Trump is tied up in the impeachment scandal for the foreseeable future LaPierre and the NRA and holding his feet to the fire.

I missed the true significance, probably because I just can't keep up with the sleaze anymore. This.

Trump and NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre met Friday to discuss the the NRA providing financial support for Trump’s impeachment defense, the New York Times reported Friday.

The support comes at a price.

“Mr. LaPierre asked that the White House ‘stop the games’ over gun control legislation, people familiar with the meeting said,” the Times said.

It's now been point out that if true this is bribery of a public official, clear and simple. Offering money to be used for private purposes in return for legislative action is classic bribery. And it's yet another felony.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1543 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostLFC, on 28 September 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

It's now been point out that if true this is bribery of a public official, clear and simple. Offering money to be used for private purposes in return for legislative action is classic bribery. And it's yet another felony.

And they aren't even trying to hide it!

Even under the much-relaxed standards for "corruption" that the Roberts Court has discovered, this falls into their explicit quid quo pro bucket. It's not like it would have been hard to dodge that, either.

By the way -- didn't Trump campaign on being so rich that he couldn't be bribed?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1544 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

Private purposes? Wouldn't impeachment defense be considered campaign expenses in the present context? It's clear that all sorts of donors condition campaign donations on pledges to do this or that? Anyone know of a case on point?

#1545 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostJackD, on 28 September 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

Private purposes? Wouldn't impeachment defense be considered campaign expenses in the present context? It's clear that all sorts of donors condition campaign donations on pledges to do this or that? Anyone know of a case on point?

Clinton '98. Paid for totally out-of-pocket.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1546 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

Clinton may have done that but my question is did he have to, or is there any precedent holding it's illegal to do it Trump's way?

#1547 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6006 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:48 PM

I missed the true significance, probably because I just can't keep up with the sleaze anymore. This.

"We've done a lot for you. Do us a favor..." Seems familiar doesn't it?

#1548 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5051 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:59 PM

Remember, the NRA is domiciled in New York. NYS probably can't charge the NRA with bribery, but I'm sure bribery isn't an allowable expenditure for a non-profit organization.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1549 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostJackD, on 28 September 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Clinton may have done that but my question is did he have to, or is there any precedent holding it's illegal to do it Trump's way?

You'd have to go back to Johnson for precedent there, and legal expenses then were not what they are now.
— Nate Silver

#1550 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 28 September 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Remember, the NRA is domiciled in New York. NYS probably can't charge the NRA with bribery, but I'm sure bribery isn't an allowable expenditure for a non-profit organization.

It would be a Federal charge, of course, and the DOJ ... oh, wait.
— Nate Silver

#1551 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 28 September 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Bribery, lobbying, what's the difference to these folks?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1552 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

Two were killed and more wounded near Texas A&M in YAMS (Yet Another Mass Shooting).

Two people were killed and six others wounded when a shooter opened fire at an off-campus homecoming party near Texas A&M University-Commerce campus just before midnight.

The shooter is still at large, authorities say. Police said he used a 9mm handgun and that earlier reports that the weapon was a rifle were erroneously based on replica shells scattered around the party space as decorations.

A witness told police that the gunman appeared to “pick out one individual” for his first victim and then continued shooting, Hunt County Sheriff Randy Meeks said at a morning press conference.

Four of the wounded were in critical condition. Six others were injured in the frantic escape.

Then there was a shooting at a vigil for the victims.

Several vehicles were damaged when a gunman opened fire at a vigil for one of two victims killed at a Saturday night homecoming party in Hunt County, Texas, near Texas A&M Commerce university. The lone gunman is still at large from that shooting, which killed two and injured more than a dozen. Police were called to the scene of the vigil at around 8 p.m. Sunday after mourners reported an active shooter. No one was injured, but several vehicles were damaged by bullets. Police say the 750 attendees at the party have been uncooperative in helping to identify the gunman at the Saturday night mass shooting, but do say the perpetrator may have been targeting one of the victims when the other got in the line of fire.

#1553 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6006 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

earlier reports that the weapon was a rifle were erroneously based on replica shells scattered around the party space as decorations

What was the theme of this party??? In a more innocent time I went to a Feb.14 St Valentine's Day Massacre party but in this day and age that would be tacky and inadvisable.

#1554 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

The NRA, desperate for a revival of its heavily tarnished brand, is suddenly claiming that there were "some NRA leaders" who found some of NRATV's content to be "distasteful and racist." The details are so insane that I thought it was from The Onion and reread the piece twice to ensure it wasn't parody. (OOF! Poe'd again!)

The federal lawsuit between the National Rifle Association and the ad firm that created its now-defunct NRATV outlet has taken an uglier turn, with the pro-gun group now alleging its own leadership found the TV outlet’s messaging “distasteful and racist.”

According to an Oct. 25 amended complaint filed in its ongoing lawsuit against Ackerman McQueen, NRA officials believed the short-lived TV outlet—which featured shows from right-wing stars like Dana Loesch and Dan Bongino—“strayed from the Second Amendment to themes which some NRA leaders found distasteful and racist.”

As an example of a “damaging” segment, the NRA filing alludes to an instance on Loesch’s show Relentless, in which an on-air graph featured a picture of kid’s cartoon character Thomas the Tank Engine wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood.

“Attempts by the NRA to ‘rein in’ AMc and its messaging were met with responses from AMc that ranged from evasive to hostile,” the gun lobby further alleges.

Ooooohhhh, they tried to "rein in" the marketing firm that made these? Yeah. I'm calling bullshit.

The article does nicely summarize the shitstorm that the NRA is in right now and how AMc is not going down without a fight. My guess is that they know where more than a few skeletons are buried and they aren't afraid to exhume them in their own defense, even if it's just to crush the NRA financially. It's tough to hire lawyers if your'e broke.

The National Rifle Association, meanwhile, has been embroiled in several scandals of its own: a ProPublica report alleging sexual harassment by a senior NRA staffer; vicious infighting among top executives; and reportedly out-of-control spending and debt fueled by legal fees, unpaid bills, and expenses on lavish travel, clothing, and makeup for LaPierre and his wife.

In a lengthy statement to The Daily Beast, the ad firm blasted the NRA’s “false claims” and went after LaPierre, alleging the NRA CEO repeatedly “defrauded” the firm. “In the final 18 months, AMc representatives progressively discovered that LaPierre and his executive team, with the board’s oversight and approval, were marketing false products and narratives to NRA members, covering up sexual harassment, attempting to intimidate public officials, disrupting internal investigations about Russia, spending member money for personal benefit and more.”

AMc further wrote: “LaPierre controlled every aspect of NRATV for which he recruited talent, approved every budget, audited every metric and required ultimate confidentiality. Ackerman McQueen routinely offered and toward the end of the relationship demanded that an outside firm audit NRATV performance but LaPierre refused.”

The ad firm’s statement concluded by alleging that LaPierre and the NRA now “grovel at the feet of the media they used to decry” by filing lawsuits against the NRATV creator—“another cynical attempt to distract from Wayne LaPierre’s documented mismanagement of the organization and the captive board’s complicit behavior,” the firm added.

#1555 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 28 October 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

What was the theme of this party??? In a more innocent time I went to a Feb.14 St Valentine's Day Massacre party but in this day and age that would be tacky and inadvisable.

They're college kids. Tacky and inadvisable is expected at that age.

#1556 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13320 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostLFC, on 28 October 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

(in the article)
Police say the 750 attendees at the party have been uncooperative in helping to identify the gunman at the Saturday night mass shooting, but do say the perpetrator may have been targeting one of the victims when the other got in the line of fire.
Remember folks, no snitchin'. Why am I not surprised there was an additional shooting at the vigil? Theme was "twerk or tweet".
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1557 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30459 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostTraveler, on 28 October 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

Remember folks, no snitchin'.

Snitches get stitches. In this case snitches lead.

#1558 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13320 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

Definitely not your typical mass murder. Just another shooting. Victim was singled out. Premeditated execution.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1559 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

Guns? We don't need no stinkin guns!

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1560 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 28 October 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

I think it would be the hit of the season in TX, FL, or any of quite a few other Red States.
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users