Guns

1569 replies to this topic

#1361 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5112 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

North has always seemed convinced that whatever he was doing was the right thing--a "true believer". Which in some ways is more scary. But if he truly believes that he has the moral high ground and Lapierre is in the wrong, he may just refuse to compromise at all. After all, it's worked for him before.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1362 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

View PostLFC, on 07 June 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

Republicans: Always accusing the other guy of doing what they themselves are doing.

Ah, yes. But this time it's cannibalism.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1363 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 08 June 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

Ah, yes. But this time it's cannibalism.

It has been before. It's why the GOP has become so outrageously extreme.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1364 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

It's WAR!!! In the NRA

Looks like it's going to be auditors at dawn between Ollie North and Wayne LaPierre, slinging accusations of corruption back and forth, with (so far) no outright accusations of embezzlement.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1365 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 10 June 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

It's WAR!!! In the NRA

Looks like it's going to be auditors at dawn between Ollie North and Wayne LaPierre, slinging accusations of corruption back and forth, with (so far) no outright accusations of embezzlement.

From the link here's the facts about their supposed gun safety and training efforts. Bonus points for all kinds of grift being found.

Even as the association has reduced spending on its avowed core mission—gun education, safety, and training—to less than ten per cent of its total budget, it has substantially increased its spending on messaging. The N.R.A. is now mainly a media company, promoting a life style built around loving guns and hating anyone who might take them away. ... Marc Owens, who served for ten years as the head of the Internal Revenue Service division that oversees tax-exempt enterprises, recently reviewed these records. “The litany of red flags is just extraordinary,” he said. “The materials reflect one of the broadest arrays of likely transgressions that I’ve ever seen. There is a tremendous range of what appears to be the misuse of assets for the benefit of certain venders and people in control.” Owens added, “Those facts, if confirmed, could lead to the revocation of the N.R.A.’s tax-exempt status”—without which the organization could likely not survive.

All in all this couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of crooks. It looks like the NRA has been handing out grift to select board members to ensure their complacency for years. More and more we see an organization that is rotten to its very core. Is it any wonder they were so eager to be purchased by the Russians? Every dollar coming in is another dollar you can skim off of.

NRA board members benefited from lucrative sweetheart details, according to fresh allegations of corruption surfaced in a Sunday Washington Post report.

The newspaper found that the gun rights non-profit directed money to 18 of the group’s 76 board members.

In one case, board member and ammunition manufacturer Pete Brownell sold $3.1 million in ammo and supplies to the NRA Foundation. Brownell resigned from the group’s board last month, and told the Post through a spokesman that the contract was vetted.

In another example, White House strategic communications director Mercedes Schlapp took home $80,000 in consulting fees while serving as a NRA board member.

The NRA board is tasked in part with overseeing the non-profit’s finances, and with approving deals between related parties. The allegations have attracted the attention of New York State Attorney General Letitia James, who is investigating whether the NRA has complied with state charities law.

Registered in New York since its 1871 founding, the NRA is subject to stringent state regulations which mandate that charities be run in the interests of the group’s stated mission, and not for the benefit of insiders.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1366 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

Some dude was killed in a shoot out with police near a federal court building in Dallas TX. Take a look at the photo of this guy taken before death. What's the dollar value of all that stuff he's toting and why should any civilian be allowed to have any of it? (And don't answer the 2nd Amendment to which I will say "flintlocks for all")

Posted Image

#1367 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

St. Mike Royko, the late Chicago columnist, used to insist on his right to have a recoilless rifle to mount on his Ford Bronco to clear incompetent drivers out of his way during Chicago blizzards.

#1368 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 June 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Some dude was killed in a shoot out with police near a federal court building in Dallas TX. Take a look at the photo of this guy taken before death. What's the dollar value of all that stuff he's toting and why should any civilian be allowed to have any of it? (And don't answer the 2nd Amendment to which I will say "flintlocks for all")

Only the visible stuff, and discounting his everyday wear, and not knowing if that is simply a tactical vest (likely) or actual armor (doesn't look like it), probably $1k or less. It's also tough to tell what the holster poking out behind him would be holding. The shape suggests to me it's probably a long barrel revolver of some sort, so that may be pushing the limits of a $1k total.

Should he be allowed to have any of it? Well, those glasses indicate a questionable fashion sense, for sure. The boots also.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#1369 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostJackD, on 17 June 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

St. Mike Royko, the late Chicago columnist, used to insist on his right to have a recoilless rifle to mount on his Ford Bronco to clear incompetent drivers out of his way during Chicago blizzards.

When was he canonized? I confess to having not heard previously.
— Nate Silver

#1370 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 17 June 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

Only the visible stuff, and discounting his everyday wear, and not knowing if that is simply a tactical vest (likely) or actual armor (doesn't look like it), probably $1k or less. It's also tough to tell what the holster poking out behind him would be holding. The shape suggests to me it's probably a long barrel revolver of some sort, so that may be pushing the limits of a $1k total.

Should he be allowed to have any of it? Well, those glasses indicate a questionable fashion sense, for sure. The boots also.

Aviator frames seem to be coming back into style for those who didn't see them everywhere the last time they were popular.

Cost of ammo?

#1371 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 June 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Aviator frames seem to be coming back into style for those who didn't see them everywhere the last time they were popular.

Cost of ammo?
$80 for a box of 400
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1372 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 17 June 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

$80 for a box of 400

ETA - for the heavily modified AR ($700 unmodified) in his hand. The rest? Those 6 magazines showing cost around $15/ea, can't say on the web gear and vest or the holster and sidearm. $1k-$2k?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1373 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 17 June 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

ETA - for the heavily modified AR ($700 unmodified) in his hand. The rest? Those 6 magazines showing cost around $15/ea, can't say on the web gear and vest or the holster and sidearm. $1k-$2k?

Thanks. And what do you suppose the medical cost for someone injured by him, but not killed? Something much higher than $1-2k I imagine, even with really good health insurance. Without it? Well either we taxpayers pay or bankruptcy for the patient or both.

#1374 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

You mean Royko wasn't canonized?

#1375 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

View PostJackD, on 17 June 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

He and Molly Ivins were my favorite columnists when I was young. His pieces were often featured in the Sacramento Bee, which at that time was a serious paper with serious reporting that delivered to areas far outside the Sacramento metropolitan area (we lived about an hour away in the foothills). Now it's an ongoing insult to the paper it once was. Royko's death probably isn't connected to that decline, but...

#1376 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5112 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:09 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 17 June 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

He and Molly Ivins were my favorite columnists when I was young. His pieces were often featured in the Sacramento Bee, which at that time was a serious paper with serious reporting that delivered to areas far outside the Sacramento metropolitan area (we lived about an hour away in the foothills). Now it's an ongoing insult to the paper it once was. Royko's death probably isn't connected to that decline, but...

He was published in the Sacramento Union*, too. *Which also sullied its reputation before going out of business.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1377 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

Ah, the palace politics of the NRA:

The NRA's woes got woe-er today, as group accused its second-in-command and top lobbyist Christopher W. Cox of complicity in the recent failed coup against chief executive Wayne LaPierre.

Quoting the NYT:

The accusation came in a lawsuit filed Wednesday night in New York State Supreme Court against Oliver North, the N.R.A.’s former president, who led the attempt to oust Mr. LaPierre shortly before the group’s annual convention in April. The complaint provides fresh detail about the effort against Mr. LaPierre, but it is the involvement of the organization’s No. 2 official, Christopher, W. Cox, that will reverberate.
In the suit, the N.R.A. said that text messages and emails demonstrated that “another errant N.R.A. fiduciary, Chris Cox — once thought by some to be a likely successor for Mr. LaPierre — participated” in what was described as a conspiracy.

— Nate Silver

#1378 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5112 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

I'd say that who's an "errant" N.R.A. fiduciary is a matter of opinion. To my mind, a fiduciary is someone who's tasked with not defrauding people...but what do I know?

#1379 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 June 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Some dude was killed in a shoot out with police near a federal court building in Dallas TX. Take a look at the photo of this guy taken before death. What's the dollar value of all that stuff he's toting and why should any civilian be allowed to have any of it?

Whenever one of the maximalist 2A types says "the gun shown is no different functionally than this hunting rifle over here" I always ask "then how come nobody ever seems to use that hunting rifle for the purpose of mass shooting?" Tap dancing or outright running away always ensues. I've never gotten a direct answer.

#1380 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

Floriduh. I suspect the arresting officer feels that this unholy woman abandoned her man and committed sacrilege by touching her abusive husband's guns, something that Jeebus™ clearly told women they must never do.

The Florida State Attorney's Office is being urged not to prosecute a woman who was arrested after turning in her husband's guns to police while he was in jail on domestic violence charges.

After a divorce court meeting on June 14, Joseph and Courtney Irby got into an argument, according to an arrest report obtained by the Lakeland Ledger. When Courtney Irby, 32, tried to leave, her husband followed her, rammed into her vehicle and forced her off the road, police said.

Joseph Irby, 35, was arrested on a domestic aggravated battery charge, according to jail records. Courtney Irby told a responding officer that "she feared for her life," her husband’s arrest report said.

While Joseph Irby spent the night in jail, Courtney Irby went to his apartment and took his assault rifle and handgun.

Red flag laws: Should guns be seized from those who pose threats? More states saying yes to red flag laws

The next day, Courtney Irby attempted to turn the weapons in to Lakeland Police, citing an injunction that required her husband to surrender the weapons, according to her arrest affidavit.

Federal law prohibits people under a domestic violence restraining order from possessing guns, but it's up to local law enforcement to enforce it, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The officer on duty asked whether she had permission to enter his apartment and she said no, the Ledger reported.

“So you are telling me you committed an armed burglary?” the officer said, according to the arrest affidavit obtained by the newspaper.

“Yes, I am,” Irby replied, “but he wasn’t going to turn them (the guns) in so I am doing so.”

She was arrested on two counts of grand theft and one count of armed burglary and jailed for six days, according to court records.

“We have to safeguard every citizen's rights," Lakeland Police Chief Ruben Garcia told WFLA following an outcry on social media over the arrest. "When a case is brought to us, we have to look at all sides of the cases and come to the fairest conclusion we can for everyone involved."

A GoFundMe campaign created to raise money for Courtney Irby’s legal and living expenses had raised nearly $7,000 as of Monday evening. State Representative Anna V. Eskamani, D-Orlando, urged Polk County State Attorney Brian Haas not to prosecute Irby, saying that doing so “sets a scary precedent that if someone seeks help to escape abuse, they will be punished for it.”

In a letter to Haas, Eskamani noted that while people convicted of domestic abuse cannot possess guns under federal law, local law enforcement does not have the tools they need to enforce those rules.

“These loopholes are major contributors to the deadly relationship between domestic violence and firearms,” she wrote. “As original research by Everytown shows: the presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation makes it five times more likely that a woman will be murdered.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users