Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11375 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification

View PostHockeyDon, on 14 November 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

The accuracy of any rifle isn't inherent in the action of the rifle or whether it has "assault configuration" features. It's all dependent upon the type of bolt and the barrel. Most traditional rifles do have a greater accuracy built in, but by no means does that mean an AR-15 style rifle suffers from being unable to hit targets. Traditional rifles also have a much greater range with less bullet drop, due to more energy and mass in the round.

You're correct that the group sizes would vary. But that isn't the same claim as "can't hunt with them".

Just anecdotally, several years ago the military put out a competitive solicitation for a semi-automatic sniper platform. All the entries were AR-15 style rifles and they all held groups as tight as the best bolt action "traditional" rifles. It's not really the look that determines accuracy.

That pretty well concurs with my take on shorter barrel length and lighter round. I am not surprised that they could come up with a semi auto receiver that is accurate, but I bet a dime to a dollar the rounds are heavier, and the barrels are longer. Just physics. BTW, aren't some regular hunting rifles semi-auto?

From LFCs link, most of the assault hunters ranked second shots pretty highly in their criteria.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#482 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

Time for more thoughts and prayers. Some guy decided to go out shooting and hit a school among other places in Northern CA.

#483 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3231 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostTraveler, on 14 November 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification
That pretty well concurs with my take on shorter barrel length and lighter round. I am not surprised that they could come up with a semi auto receiver that is accurate, but I bet a dime to a dollar the rounds are heavier, and the barrels are longer. Just physics. BTW, aren't some regular hunting rifles semi-auto?

From LFCs link, most of the assault hunters ranked second shots pretty highly in their criteria.

While the 5.56 can be made more accurate, you're correct that heavier rounds are used, typically .308/7.62mm. I've shot a 16.1" barrel semi-auto that shoots same hole accurate over and over. I'm not talking giant bull barrel configurations either.

The hunting rifle I learned on while growing up was .30-06 and it was a semi-auto. Standard configuration hunting rifle besides that, but yes, there are a ton of traditional style rifles that are semi-auto.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#484 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11375 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

Damn, that is not easy to do. I assume that was a typical rifle?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#485 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

It was an AR-15 style rifle chambered in 7.62. It's really a matter of using the same manufacturing and design choices usually reserved for dedicated marksman rifles. The original AR-15 design (which became the M16 and M4) was designed for thousands of rounds of endurance. One of the ways to accomplish that was to sacrifice accuracy.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#486 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11375 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

My brother would love to spend time on the range with you. He has a 50 cal. Among 4 different assault rifles, and other hunting rifles. Problem is he lives in NJ, where he cannot use them.

#487 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 14 November 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

View Postgolden_valley, on 13 November 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

can't hunt with them.

And why would that be?

Don't some states limit deer hunting to just deer slugs and primitives?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

#488 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostAnBr, on 14 November 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Some areas certainly do that, but I don't think there are any state-wide implementations of those rules.
Well, fuck.

#489 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostAnBr, on 14 November 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Yes but it's generally only true in highly populated areas. For example the most populated counties around Philadelphia ban the use of rifles. It's simply a case of too many people in too small a space thing and the fear of accidental shootings. I don't know if it's still true but that was the way it was in all of NJ many years ago. The only rifle hunting allowed was the use of a .22 when raccoon hunting with dogs in a few of the hilliest northwestern counties. It could only be used on a treed raccoon.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#490 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9631 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

And, in response to shooting in California, Dump tweets his condolences - to the victims in Texas. Again.

You mean I need to edit before I re-tweet it? Crap, they don’t pay me enough for this job.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#491 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

[sigh]

Elder members of First United Methodist Church in Tellico Plains were meeting Thursday afternoon to eat a Thanksgiving dinner when the mass shooting came up, and one of them asked if anyone brought their gun to church, reported WATE-TV.

Police said a man in his 80s pulled out a .380 caliber Ruger handgun and boasted, “I carry my handgun everywhere.

The man removed the magazine, cleared the chamber and showed the weapon to some other men, then put the magazine back in, evidently loaded a round into the chamber and returned the gun to his holster, police said.

Someone else walked up and asked to see the gun, police said, and the man took out the weapon again.

He pulled it back out and said, ‘With this loaded indicator, I can tell that it’s not loaded,'” according to Police Chief Russ Parks.

He then pulled the trigger, apparently forgetting he had put a round in the chamber.

The gun was lying on its side on a table, and the bullet sliced the man’s palm and entered the left side of his wife’s abdomen and exited the right.

Both of them were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

No charges will be filed in the shooting, police said.

No charges filed. Just an accident. Nothing to see here, folks.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#492 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, but, like, the Second Amendment . . . you know?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users