Guns

491 replies to this topic

#1 jdd_stl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

Kathleen Parker seems to think the GOP should do SOMETHING.

https://www.washingt...omepage%2Fstory

Rather, Republicans focus their laser beams on Obama’s and the Democratic Party’s political motivations, shocking to none, and remind us that we already have enough gun laws.
This may well be true, but couldn’t we stand to tweak them a bit? Or, perhaps, enforce them? And isn’t it possible to reduce the number of guns in the wrong hands without surrendering our Second Amendment rights or invoking the slippery slope of government confiscation?

Of course it is — and we can.

Obama made an artful and poignant counterargument to the usual objections Tuesday during a news conference at the White House. He reminded those gathered, including many who have lost family members to gun violence, thatother people also have rights — the right to peaceable assembly and the right to practice their religion without being shot.

What is less easily understood is the refusal of Republicans to take the reins of any given issue and do something constructive rather than invariably waiting to be forced into the ignoble position of “no.”
It is one thing to be in the pocket of the National Rifle Association. It is another to do nothing and then assume a superior posture of purposeful neglect, as though do-nothingness were a policy and smug intransigence a philosophy.

"Wherever the law is, crime can be found." -- A. Solzhenitsyn

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first six of them sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln

"If you are the big tree, We are the small axe. Sharpened to cut you down (well sharp). Ready to cut your down." -- Bob Marley

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

WTF is WRONG with these people? Expanded background checks has close to 90% popular support, and even has overwhelming support among Republicans. F***, even among NRA members!

Is it that Congressional Republicans are completely purchased by the NRA, that their blind hatred of Democrats forces them to oppose it even when their constituents want it, or a combination of the two?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9631 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostLFC, on 06 January 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

WTF is WRONG with these people? Expanded background checks has close to 90% popular support, and even has overwhelming support among Republicans. F***, even among NRA members!

Is it that Congressional Republicans are completely purchased by the NRA, that their blind hatred of Democrats forces them to oppose it even when their constituents want it, or a combination of the two?

Yes. They are still working on making Obama a one term President.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#4 jdd_stl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

And O'Reilly chimes in:

http://talkingpoints...ckground-checks

"The NRA and gun owners should be reasonable. The FBI should background check anyone buying a firearm in America. That just makes sense," O'Reilly said on his show. "If you are paranoid and believe the government is stockpiling information so they can come to your house and take your guns, that's your problem, your problem. But the government has an obligation to enhance public safety."

Is he a RINO now?

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first six of them sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln

"If you are the big tree, We are the small axe. Sharpened to cut you down (well sharp). Ready to cut your down." -- Bob Marley

#5 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Congressional Reps should consider federal funding classes like this if they think there is no need to tweak any gun related laws:

When the police held town hall meetings here in the past, they were lucky to see a half-dozen people. But the topic of the most recent one was “Active Shooter: A Citizen’s Guide to Planning for Survival.” And the place was packed.

http://www.nytimes.c...v=top-news&_r=0

ETA:

A question-and-answer session followed the video. Kimberly Fugate, 49, a middle school Spanish teacher, said that her public school had a lockdown plan, and that she had told her students to hide and be quiet if there were an attack. “What else can I do?” she asked.

The chief said that if the opportunity presented itself, she could “jab that guy in his eyeball” with a pencil. “You bite his nose off.” The students, he said, could kick the attacker while he was down “with a hundred little feets.”

Yeah, right, that plausible. I hope they don't charge for this course.

#6 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3231 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

View Postjdd_stl1, on 06 January 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

And O'Reilly chimes in:

http://talkingpoints...ckground-checks

Is he a RINO now?

Depends on how long it takes him to walk it back.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#7 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

Leaving a wide open access point to firearms for this very kind of person is exactly what the NRA and right-wing gun nuts are fighting for furiously. Yep, no fair making him go through a background check at a gun show.

“He was aiming at a guy, and then he just got sloppy — he was shooting everywhere,” Lunsford said.

Witnesses said the gunman was ranting incoherently about gun control measures proposed by Obama, who announced executive actions earlier that same day intended to keep firearms from being sold to criminals and the mentally ill.

“We heard the five shots — everyone was screaming,” said David Rice, who lives near the apartment complex. “He came out screaming ‘Obama! Obama! Obama!’ (Police) told him to come out with (his) hands up, and he kept telling them ‘No, no, no.’”

Officers fired non-lethal beanbags at the man, who refused to drop his weapon after walking in and out of the apartment at least 10 times, and police shot and killed the gunman after he came out of his apartment with his gun drawn.

One neighbor said police fired at least 30 rounds, but another neighbor said he heard about 70 shots.

“It was insane,” said neighbor Steven Killion.

And no, he was not legally allowed to own a gun.

The Record Spotlight reported that the man identified on a search warrant at the apartment had prior felony convictions — which would have prevented him from legally owning a gun.

Court records show the man pleaded no contest in 2009 to the illegal discharge of a weapon and was sentenced to 60 days in jail, and he was sentenced to an additional 45 days in jail the following year on a probation violation.

He also had a misdemeanor battery charge dismissed in 2004 after he was placed on probation.

A longtime friend said the man suffered from depression, anger and bouts of confusion for many years — and she said those mental health issues were the cause of his legal problems.

Police said they found a 9 mm Beretta handgun with a spent shell casing in the chamber and live rounds in the gun’s magazine at the man’s apartment.

The newspaper reported that a letter from the National Rifle Association addressed to the man was posted on the apartment’s front window.

The letter requested the man pay for a DVD that he had bought from the gun lobbying organization titled “Combat Shooting and Home Defense Tips.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#9 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9631 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

I'll leave this right here:

http://www.lawyersgu...complete-psycho

No, I didn't get off the boat...

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#10 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11375 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

That crew is something else entirely. Puts me (and the rest of us?) to shame.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

Posted Image

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

Posted Image

#13 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7011 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:54 AM

Yes, the NRA wants to have as many of the unhinged packing heat as possible. Because every headline shooting is free marketing.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#14 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

Emotional Wayne LaPierre Honors Victims Of Background Checks
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

#15 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

The Propaganda Professor's The Myth Of Hitler’s Gun Ban

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#16 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9631 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

Good, but some of the comments...

So the whole comment thread devolves into pushing back on the idiots commenting.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18590 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

AnBr, on 11 January 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

The Propaganda Professor's The Myth Of Hitler’s Gun Ban

At this point Godwin's Law needs an axiom concerning speed. "When" seems to be getting replaced with "how quickly".

#18 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Progressive whisperer, on 11 January 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Good, but some of the comments...

So the whole comment thread devolves into pushing back on the idiots commenting.

Well, as someone said "Basically, Donald Trump is what would happen if the comments section became a human and ran for president."

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#19 jdd_stl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

http://talkingpoints...ra-obama-debate

Is this a sign that the NRA feels threatened?

National Rifle Association President Wayne LaPierre on Wednesday challengedPresident Barack Obama to a debate on guns, even though the organization declined a White House invitation to participate in a town hall discussion that aired last week on CNN.

Maybe Obama is making progress...

#20 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

View Postjdd_stl1, on 14 January 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

http://talkingpoints...ra-obama-debate

Is this a sign that the NRA feels threatened?

Maybe Obama is making progress...

Maybe, unless LaPierre defines debate as a duel at 20 paces.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users