46 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Scott Adams is giving Trump a 98% chance of becoming President. Yes, he understands that nobody in the political punditry class agrees with him but he lays out his case.

Adams, who has classified Trump as a “Clown Genius” and an “unstoppable” master of persuasion, couches much of his analysis in the idea that Trump is an expert at “linguistic kill shots” (think: “low-energy” Jeb Bush) and that his months of political fortune have defied virtually every prediction the American pundit class has hurled his way.

“This has nothing to do with any logic,” Adams told The Daily Beast. “But history has turned on a few people—like the Founding Fathers and Jesus Christ come to mind—who used the same tricks: They describe to people a better vision of themselves. And Trump fits into that [model] in the most direct way you could possibly do. He’s saying, ‘You’re an American, I’m going to make you feel great.’”

The 58-year-old cartoonist and satirist isn’t a betting man, so he’s not putting on money down on his bold prediction, even with a supposed 98 percent certainty. Nevertheless, he sees Trump battle against the rest of the crowded 2016 GOP field as a “guy who brought a flamethrower to a stick fight”—and he’s thinks the flamethrower will prevail this time.

“The reason I believe this is because I see Trump employing a series of linguistic maneuvers that display such a high level of talent in that area that nobody sees it coming,” he continued. “Also there’s a whole lot of lucky circumstances that position him as the luckiest player on a chessboard that looks like it was designed for Trump to win.”

Why? Because his observations of what America has become.

“I would point out that if you were to combine the TV shows Shark Tank, The Apprentice, and Judge Judy, you would have formed an entire functioning government,” he remarked. (The Donald is the executive branch in this horrifying scenario.)

I like his take on why he doesn't want to join a political party.

“My political position is basically to do everything I can [to] not to be a joiner,” he explains. “The moment you join a group [or party], you start to identify your identity with the group’s identity, and then you merge, and the group’s opinion starts to become your own—and then you lose all credibility.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

This caused me to google "Scott Adams election 2008", which brought me to his blog post from Apr 28th of that year, where based on one poll and some SWAG assumptions he calls "math" he confidently predicts that November will see the election of Pres. McCain

ETA: it looks like he endorsed Mitt in 2012. 0 for 2.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#3 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13201 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

Leave it up to TRS to keep us informed!
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#4 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

My view of Adams is he is a really funny guy dealing with the oddities of engineers and of the office experience in general. The further away from that he gets, the less funny the cartoon (which he seems to get, as he hasn't strayed off the reservation much lately).

Being funny has neted him a boat-load of money, which seems to have convinced Adams that he is really smart in a variety of subjects in which it simply isn't true. Both things (funny plus money) have convinced other people he is smart, too, and they hang on his every word, further convincing him that he is smarter than most. Now, I'm no smarter than he is (maybe less, looking at my bank account vs. his), but I know my limitations better.

I think it's funny that if real life Scott Adams meet Dilbert, or the Dilbert character read his blog, I'm pretty sure Dilbert would ridicule and mock Scott Adams' thinking on a variety if topics. I now suspect that Wally is more Scott, and Dilbert his co-workers at PAC Bell.

I have couple of his books, given to me by family who know I like Dilbert. I read a page or two of each before consigning them to the yard sale pile. Same with the DVD for the full season of the Dilbert TV cartoon (I watched the first one when it appeared, and made sure I had something else to do whenever it came on after that).
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#5 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4747 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hell, Dilbert isn't even funny anymore.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#6 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

I like Dilbert and have for years; I definitely concur with:

...(Adams) is a really funny guy dealing with the oddities of engineers and of the office experience in general.

He has done very well harnessing the archetypes present in most workplaces.

However, I dunno that his electoral prognostications are any more reliable or humorous (not sure which he's going for) than those of Lynn ("For Better or for Worse") Johnston would be if she were to comment on Canadian electoral politics. He even says himself in the article,

“This has nothing to do with any logic,”

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Just in case any of you believe he's taking himself too seriously, he explicitly says not to.

I don’t know which candidate would do the best job as president. I am not that smart. But I am impressed with Trump’s game. I write about it for entertainment. Don’t take cartoonists too seriously.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

And I have to say, I found this cartoon (well beyond Dilbert's PG rating) to be pretty funny.

Posted Image

#9 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

I've since read more of Scott Adams's postings on this subject and think he actually has a pretty good bead on Trump, if not a good bead on predicting election outcomes. He's coming at this from his background as a trained hypnotist (now there's an odd hobby to pick up) and he clearly points out Trump's use of a variety of persuasion techniques that are used to deflect criticism, stir pride, get people to project their own beliefs onto him (by not being too specific), and belittle others. His belief is that this is all quite intentional and, at this point in his life, pretty effortless for Trump.

Today there is a similar story line at TDB in which the author speaks to bullying experts and compares Trump to an "8th Grade Girl."

“He’s like an eighth-grade girl,” Rosalind Wiseman told me. “As an educator who works with children, it’s an amazing thing to watch,” she said, “because you really wish the adults would be the adults and be able to check the person who’s abusing power and being so callous to other people.”

Wiseman knows a child bully when she sees one, having written a series of books on the topic, most famously Queen Bees and Wannabes, about middle-school girls’ viciousness and upon which the movie Mean Girls is based.

But Wiseman wasn’t talking to me about some unruly kid who threw rocks at a mathlete or called his frenemy names in a Burn Book. She was talking about a 69-year-old man from Queens who is seeking the Republican nomination for president of the United States.

She was talking, of course, about Donald Trump.

“He’s absolutely operating as an intelligent, manipulative bully who truly does not care about the consequences of his actions,” Wiseman said. “He delights in his own ability to manipulate and to show that nobody can stop him.”

The whole piece is interesting and certainly seems to fit him to a tee.

#10 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13201 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

from the article. Pretty funny.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#11 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13309 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Attached Image: trav.jpg
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#12 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13201 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

Too damn funny!!!!

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

OK, Scott Adams may understand Trump's persuasion techniques for the feeble minded ("these ARE the droids scapegoats you are looking for"), but he's also apparently barking at the moon, batshit crazy and more than a wee bit self-important. (I bet well over half the people who read Dilbert don't know his name.)

This past week we saw Clinton pair the idea of President Trump with nuclear disaster, racism, Hitler, the Holocaust, and whatever else makes you tremble in fear,” Adams wrote on his personal blog.

Adams, who last week said he realized Donald Trump was no “crazy clown” but was actually a master of persuasion, said Clinton’s new line of attack would personally, specifically and certainly imperil him in a racist eruption against white people.

“The only downside I can see to the new approach is that it is likely to trigger a race war in the United States,” Adams said. “And I would be a top-ten assassination target in that scenario because once you define Trump as Hitler, you also give citizens moral permission to kill him. And obviously it would be okay to kill anyone who actively supports a genocidal dictator, including anyone who wrote about his persuasion skills in positive terms.”

[snip]

“About a quarter of the country will think it is morally justified to assassinate their own leader,” Adams warned. “I too would feel that way if an actual Hitler came to power in this country. I would join the resistance and try to take out the Hitler-like leader. You should do the same. No one wants an actual President Hitler.”

“So I’ve decided to endorse Hillary Clinton for President, for my personal safety,” Adams said. “Trump supporters don’t have any bad feelings about patriotic Americans such as myself, so I’ll be safe from that crowd. But Clinton supporters have convinced me – and here I am being 100% serious – that my safety is at risk if I am seen as supportive of Trump. So I’m taking the safe way out and endorsing Hillary Clinton for president.”

#14 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

Having seen Adam's batshit thoughts in the past (including 2012 where I think he was certain Romney would win) I, personally, am willing to lose Dilbert in this fashion...

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#15 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13201 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

Our local rag sheet dropped some of my more favorite comic strips to run Dilbert. Actually his strips are a hoot. And quite a put down of Trump. Let me dig up a copy of the latest.

#16 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostTraveler, on 06 June 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

Our local rag sheet dropped some of my more favorite comic strips to run Dilbert. Actually his strips are a hoot. And quite a put down of Trump. Let me dig up a copy of the latest.

The strip is generally funny to hilarious, at least as long as he sticks to office workings. His deeper thoughts expressed on his blog and books - not so much. Add in his sense that HE is a genius so everyone else should listen to his whackaloon comments.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

This one is an amusing nudge at Krugman from 2013 came up on the daily tear off calendar last week.

Posted Image

#18 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29150 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

Scott Adams continues his descent ... or perhaps just further displays where he's been for years. It's kind of sad. Apparently somebody took a dig at him on Twitter and this was his odd response.

@MrDuttonPeabody Did the Democratic convention make you feel like a weak and useless white male? That's why I didn't watch.

The replies were pretty brutal. I think this was my favorite.

Posted Image

#19 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

Some interesting talk on LGM about this, to the effect that there was a mid '90s turning point where he went from reasonable to full (dickless?) loon.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#20 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

As far back as I remember he has always been a loon when it comes to anything that doesn't fall under the category 'Writing Dilbert cartoons'.

Untethered from reality.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users