Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2558 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostAnBr, on 15 September 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

From the article:

Another gratuity to churches is the real estate tax exemption, which denies cash-strapped municipalities revenue that could be used for public safety, road repairs and other services. Like everyone else in town, churches benefit from services provided by municipal governments, but in most areas are exempt from property taxation simply because they are churches.

There was a BIG stink in our burg a few years ago about having all property owners, including churches, pay a "fire service fee" based on square footage of the structure to shore up the funds for fire rescue. It ended up going nowhere, of course. I wonder when it will come up again, and whether other municipalities have tried something similar to get churches to contribute in a concrete manner toward common services.

If churches claim that they cannot afford to be taxed, one must question how they afford real estate in the first place. A typical church that owns property has hundreds of members or more who could join together to cover the tax bill. Maybe those that don’t have such membership and support shouldn’t own real estate.
However, it would be interesting to find out how many of these institutions, especially in some cities, are places that have seen better days and are holding on by the proverbial thread (or shrinking endowment that was originally bequeathed in 1966, before all the families that founded the church left the neighborhood). In some cases, the real estate involved would be very valuable; in others, it's probably not worth as much now as it was 40, or even 20, years ago.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#22 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7047 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

If they didn't call it baptism, could it be considered hazing? Dunk those kids in head first, hold them down and it would be dangerous hazing.

#23 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13678 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

Waterboarding.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#24 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

Republicans in North Carolina are trying to rewrite the requirements for those determining how sex education should be taught from “accepted by professionals and credentialed experts in the field of sexual health education” to "credentialed experts", basically opening is wide to just about anybody with any kind of certification. Who could this possibly be written for?

“It’s absolutely true that, as written right now, [sex education curricula] could be determined by your auto mechanic, your hair dresser or your preacher,” Elizabeth Finley, communications director for SHIFT NC, a nonprofit focused on preventing teen pregnancy and curbing sexually transmitted diseases, told WRAL.

But the Republican lawmakers don’t want mechanics or hairdressers teaching sex ed, necessarily. They pointed specifically to the conservative Christian group, Focus on the Family.

The group, founded by James Dobson, advocates abstinence-only education, a method advocated by conservative Christians but rejected by the scientific and health care community as, at best, ineffective.

Whitmore said he’s pushing for the change because under the current language, Dobson’s group wouldn’t meet standards.

Yes, somebody who doesn't have a clue about sexuality and espouses "just say no" is a "credentialed expert" in Republicanland.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

A town in Texass wants to expand the use of the blatantly religious "In God We Trust" to the backs of their police cars. Personally I still find its use on our currency to be offensive to my beliefs.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#26 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

I am more of a "don't give sh1t about it" agnostic rather than out and out atheist, but crap like the above just makes me want for it to all go away.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#27 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

That's ok, they don't mean it when the car reads "to serve and protect" either.

PS: This is probably more honest, "Trust God, not your LEO".
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostAnBr, on 06 October 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

I am more of a "don't give sh1t about it" agnostic rather than out and out atheist, but crap like the above just makes me want for it to all go away.

I'm an "I don't know, and neither do you" kind of agnostic but I'm with you. Sometimes you have to fight hard-nosed passionate folks in exactly the same way. A passionate minority can run roughshod over a majority that just doesn't care as much.

#29 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

No shocker here, but Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (of Jade Helm conspiracy fame) defends "In God We Trust" on cop cars.

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Another school prayer a--hole is just begging to be fired. I say give him his wish. The theocrats at Liberty are, of course, involved.

A Washington state assistant football coach is insisting on Christian prayers during school games, even after being ordered to stop because it violates the Constitution, Fox13 reports.

Joe Kennedy, coach at Bremerton High School, was told last month by school district officials that his long-standing practice of holding sectarian prayer violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

“I’ve got my eyes closed and I feel all these people around me. I’m like, God, I hope those aren’t kids,” Kennedy told reporters. “I’m sitting there and I’m going, ‘God, thank you for this opportunity. And … if this is the last time I step on the field with these guys …”

Earlier this month, Kennedy said he’d continue to defy the school district because he made an “agreement” with God.

“I kind of made an agreement with my personal faith and with God that this was something that I was going to do, and I was going to give him the glory after every single game, and do it on the 50,” had had said. “I’m kind of a guy of my word, and I’m just going to go through with what I’ve always done.”

#31 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13678 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

So long as you keep it to yourself asshole.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#32 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

It's personal, but he has to say it out load, and encourage the team to join in, because it was a complex agreement with god.

Too bad there isn't anything in the bible about praying to yourself and not making a show of it....

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#33 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

The praying coach who refused to leave his religion at the school door has been placed on administrative leave. Sounds like he's under contract and the school board is just going to let that contract run out.

Kennedy has vocally prayed before and after games, sometimes joined by students, since 2008. But the practice recently came to the district's attention, and it asked him to stop.

He initially agreed, but then, with support from the Texas-based Liberty Institute, a religious-freedom organization, he resumed the postgame prayers, silently taking a knee for 15 to 20 seconds at midfield after shaking hands with the opposing coaches. His lawyers insist he is not leading students in prayer, just praying himself.

The debate at the school across Puget Sound west of Seattle has focused attention on the role of religion in public schools. Dozens of lawmakers in the Congressional Prayer Caucus sent a letter this week to the superintendent expressing support for the coach.

"While the district appreciates Kennedy's many positive contributions to the BHS football program, and therefore regrets the necessity of this action, Kennedy's conduct poses a genuine risk that the District will be liable for violating the federal and state constitutional rights of students or others," the statement said.

The district said Kennedy is still employed and will be paid through the remainder of his contract term unless his status changes. He won't be allowed to participate in any activities related to the football program, although the district said he can attend games as a member of the public.

The school board also likely wanted to avoid equal time for the Satanic Temple which was invited by several students to make their own displays.

The announcement came as a group of robe-wearing, incense-spreading Satanists planned to attend Thursday's game. Senior class president Abe Bartlett said Wednesday that he was one of a few students who invited the Satanic Temple of Seattle, saying it was an effort to get the school district to clarify its policy.

"The main reason I did it is to portray to the school district that I think we should either have a policy that we're not going to have any religious affiliation or public religious practices, or they should say people are going to be allowed to practice their religion publicly whatever their beliefs," said Bartlett, 17.

"They need to either go black or white," he said. "I don't think this controversial middle ground is what our school needs."

The Satanic Temple, which has 42 members in its Seattle chapter, suggested that by allowing the coach to continue praying, the district has created a forum for religious expression open to all groups. It requested permission to perform an invocation on the field after the game.

"It'll definitely be a theatrical production - robes, incense, we have a gong," chapter head Lilith Starr said. "There are a number of students and teachers at Bremerton High who don't feel like they're being represented on the football field."

The district did not respond to a request for comment regarding the group.

Man, I'm lovin' the Satanic Temple more and more every time they pop up in the news. And HUGE kudos go out to the senior class president and other students who love America and understand the Constitution more than people who are supposed to be "adults".

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

John Kasich, the supposed semi-adult in the GOP presidential field, has tapped into his inner religious utter nutter who doesn't believe in the Constitution when it comes to his brand of worship.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich is proposing a new federal agency to spread Judeo-Christian values throughout the world as a way to combat the Islamic State.

"We need to beam messages around the world about what it means to have a Western ethic, to be a part of a Christian-Judeo society," Kasich said in an interview Tuesday with NBC. "It means freedom, it means opportunity, it means respect for women, it means so many things."

The GOP presidential contender laid out his proposal during a larger discussion of his plan to defeat the Islamic State. The agency would promote the Judeo-Christian beliefs to places such as China, Russia, and the Middle East, Kasich told NBC.

#35 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Don't assume anything about Kasich. He is perfectly willing to pander for political gain. He came into the governorship riding the bagger wave of 2010, but dumped that nonsense as soon as he saw that they were on the wane here. He was staying away from the crazy, but with his inability to make gains in the polling is bringing out the idiot stuff that he was decrying before.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#36 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13678 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Don't think that any of us here consider him anything but a side show. Interesting mask perhaps, as a specimen of a rare species of POGer, but it gets dropped to reveal the standard pathology.

#37 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

There goes any appeal he had for me.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#38 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

It's not really important to appeal -- the basic rule is the Law of Least Repulsion.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#39 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 25 November 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

It's not really important to appeal -- the basic rule is the Law of Least Repulsion.

Let's just say then that this took Kasich down a few notches on the priority list for me.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#40 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

I lost all respect for him a long time ago. At one time he said no to Reagan's military toy buying spree, but he changed after becoming part of the Lehman Bros. machine. Since then he has been arrogant, dismissive and manipulative. In other words, a sleaze.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users