77 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

I followed bits and pieces of the Cosby story, but I never saw it laid out this way before. The number of accusations and the similarity of his attacks are staggering. And, of course, we have the latest bit with the AP getting his part of his 2005 civil suit testimony unsealed which revealed he admitted getting drugs to give to women so he could have sex with them.

Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he got Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and he admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman and "other people," according to documents obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

The AP had gone to court to compel the release of the documents; Cosby's lawyers had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.

The 77-year-old comedian was testifying under oath in a lawsuit filed by a former Temple University employee. He testified he gave her three half-pills of Benadryl.

If there was ever a serial failure of the justice system in moving against a wealthy, powerful predator, this would be it.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

I don't know, the executives who signed off on the Pinto because it cost less to pay for people burned alive than to re-engineer the vehicle design seem worse, bad as drugging and raping someone might be.

I admit it's more personally monsterous in that he knew the specific people he planned to victimize, but any number of company executives cause numerous deaths through out business history.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#3 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7758 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Now when I see a photo of Cosby, all I feel is total disgust. There are numerous victims (20-30?) that have come forward. Makes one wonder how many more Cosby rape victims there are who wish to retain their privacy.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#4 anniemargret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

It is quite the 'ugh' thing for sure. It has totally ruined his character and reputation. He would have been wiser to admit what he did early on, be contrite and ask forgiveness. He still would have been shunned and shamed, but his trying to portray all those women as a bunch of loonies, he lost the argument from the get-go.

Here's an even WORSE situation: the Catholic Church's centuries'-old unspeakable crimes against innocent children and teens. I know, because I came near close to being molested by the high school priest. To me, that SIN is too awful to contemplate, especially since the Church is still trying to pretend it never happened.
- "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it."
- "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
- "Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason."

-Mark Twain (1835-1981), American author, humorist

"I felt more keenly than before the need of a philosophy that would do justice to the infinite vitality of Nature. In all things I saw the passion of life for growth and greatness, the drama of everlasting creation.

I came to think of myself, not as a dance and chaos of molecules, but as a brief and minute portion of that majestic process. . . In a measure the Great Sadness was lifted from me, and, where I had seen omnipresent death, I saw now everywhere the pageant and triumph of life."

- Will Durant (1885-1981), historian, writer, philosopher

#5 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4666 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 07 July 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

I don't know, the executives who signed off on the Pinto because it cost less to pay for people burned alive than to re-engineer the vehicle design seem worse, bad as drugging and raping someone might be.

I admit it's more personally monsterous in that he knew the specific people he planned to victimize, but any number of company executives cause numerous deaths through out business history.
That is probably a mischaracterization of what Ford executives did.
https://en.wikipedia...#Schwartz_paper
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#6 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12970 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

Well don't let facts get in the way of a good meme. We all succumb to them from time to time though. Which is why I like this place.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 07 July 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

I wasn't really commenting on the actual crimes. I'm actually more frustrated at how many times he drugged and raped women over a period of decades. The system didn't just fail one woman one time. Because he was powerful and well loved, it failed at least 20 women 20 times, and probably many more than that.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#8 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7758 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

Just because there are more horrific crimes does not make what Cosby did any less bad. He not only violated the women he raped, but he betrayed the pretty family example he presented, and fooled an entire nation. That false front is what allowed him to become one of the worst serial rapists out there. The bigger the front, the bigger the back.

One thing I've noticed with various Cosby reports is in the comments sections more men tend to suggest the women should have come forward sooner, bla bla. In other words, in some, a general lack of empathy. Perhaps that's because rape is a crime most men simply do not fear happening to them, or perhaps some men (fortunately a minority) think they are entitled to have sex when they want it.

#9 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

View PostTraveler, on 08 July 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Well don't let facts get in the way of a good meme. We all succumb to them from time to time though. Which is why I like this place.

I wasn't aware of the follow-on to the original story.

I then suggest the Massey Energy execs, BP execs, or a substantial number of corporate groups who allow unsafe condiditions to kill or maim workers or civilians with impunity.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#10 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12970 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 08 July 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

I wasn't aware of the follow-on to the original story. I then suggest the Massey Energy execs, BP execs, or a substantial number of corporate groups who allow unsafe condiditions to kill or maim workers or civilians with impunity.
Nor was I for that matter. Which is why I gave your original post a pass. There are more than enough better examples, just as you note. Being corrected is a good thing IMO.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#11 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostTraveler, on 08 July 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Nor was I for that matter. Which is why I gave your original post a pass. There are more than enough better examples, just as you note. Being corrected is a good thing IMO.

Yes, it is. Now I know to drop that example.

I really didn't intend to snippy.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#12 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12853 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

Whoopi Goldberg says it hasn't been proven that he's a rapist. Add that to her defense of Polanski and it's pretty obvious that she is seriously messed up.

#14 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12970 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

PW. I certainly didn't think you were snippy. If anyone was, it was me.

#15 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

There are real dangers in appointing oneself- loudly- a "moral crusader". Remember Cosby's "Pound Cake"rant? It became a very big part of the judge's legal justification for unsealing Cosby's part of this deposition.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#16 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

The cover that must have Cosby cringing. I wonder if he's even capable of shame.

Posted Image

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

TDB has an article on the effects of quaaludes, apparently Cosby's date rape drug of choice.

#18 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7758 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

35 of 46 accusers on the cover.. and who knows how many have not come forward. The full magazine cover shows an additional row of women, with the last chair empty.

#19 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2418 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

It's not too late for him to plead that this was just an act of rage against white women! (going by that cover, anyway)
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Cosby will be forced to give a sworn deposition in a lawsuit involving allegations he sexually abused a 15-year old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1974. (There are so many things simultaneously wrong in that sentence that I think I spit up in my mouth a little.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users