#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

http://www.patrickcl...rints/i-nX4rZWW
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#2 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

That is seriously sweet.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

#3 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7479 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

Unfortunately, it's pretty obviously fake.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#4 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

View Postcmk, on 01 April 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Yeah. What can I say. we gotta a lot of them here, but they dont look like mirror images copied.

ETA. cheesingly fake. they just don't perch that way either. Almost always on a branch close to horizontal .
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill

#5 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

View Postcmk, on 01 April 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Sure. It's art.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#6 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7479 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

For me, not particularly good as a photo or as art. But then cloned/phony photos are a bit of a pet peeve for me.

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#7 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7479 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

As an aside, if you're on Facebook, join this group: "Nature Photography | Wildlife Photography"

You will see so many astonishing bird pictures that after a couple of weeks they will seem ordinary. :) Literally every day I see at least five shots where I go "wow, I could never get that".

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Regardless of authenticity, Mountain Bluebirds are awesome. Thx for thinking of me.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#9 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

They are very pretty birds. I don't think I've ever seen one.

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 02 April 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

They are very pretty birds. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Depends upon where you live. Here are the breeding ranges of our 3 bluebird species; Eastern, Mountain, and Western. (If we had a Central Bluebird, we'd have one for each time zone!)

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#11 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Look! Bluebird babies!

Posted Image

#12 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

Mother puffin grooming her chick
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostAnBr, on 22 July 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

My wife and I have actually been on Machias Seal Island to see the Puffins, along with the Guillemots, Razorbills, Arctic Terns, etc. You sit in a wooden blind while Puffins run around out front and even on top of the blind. They make some of the coolest sounds, too!

http://www.allaboutb...c_Puffin/sounds

#14 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

https://www.facebook...153355685111005

— Carl Sagan

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

If you like penguins and are in the northeast...

Lehigh Valley Zoo Penguin Connection (near Allentown, PA)
https://www.lvzoo.or..._connection.cfm

Long Island Aquarium Penguin Encounter (out near the Hamptons, NY)
http://www.longislan...guin-encounter/

#16 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:54 AM

Least Tern! Awesome but threatened species because they nest on beaches and in dunes, and there aren't a lot of beaches that people are willing to leave undisturbed. People either want to build right up to them or tear through them in 4WDs and ATVs.

#18 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Ray Brown's Talkin' Birds

— Carl Sagan

#19 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Cool!

#20 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

https://www.audubon....do-parrots-talk

— Carl Sagan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users