#901 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13324 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

View PostLFC, on 09 August 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

Blue Tit. I'll just leave it at that.

There is a reason that tits are usually covered.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#902 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

Working from home can be amazing ... but distracting. I'm sitting here at my desk and looking out into my beautiful, heavily wooded back yard and migration has [I literally just stopped to photograph a Blue-winged Warbler out my window] come to visit. There are bursts of migrant bursts coming through. I've seen 10 species of warblers so far plus other things. It's cloudy, I'm shooting through a window, and I'm kind of backlit so the photos aren't very good but so what. I'm doing this from from frigginin' desk! Man I love where I live.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#903 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

View PostLFC, on 13 September 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

Working from home can be amazing ... but distracting. I'm sitting here at my desk and looking out into my beautiful, heavily wooded back yard and migration has [I literally just stopped to photograph a Blue-winged Warbler out my window] come to visit. There are bursts of migrant bursts coming through. I've seen 10 species of warblers so far plus other things. It's cloudy, I'm shooting through a window, and I'm kind of backlit so the photos aren't very good but so what. I'm doing this from from frigginin' desk! Man I love where I live.

Final tally included 12 species of warblers with the best for us being Canada, Nashville, and Bay-breasted, Red-eyed Vireo, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Cedar Waxwing, and several Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. It's cloudy and crappy still so they should stick around at least one more day.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#904 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

Neonicotinoids are killing songbirds as well.

The world's most widely used insecticide has been linked to the dramatic decline in songbirds in North America. A first ever study of birds in the wild found that a migrating songbird that ate the equivalent of one or two seeds treated with a neonicotinoid insecticide suffered immediate weight loss, forcing it to delay its journey.

Although the birds recovered, the delay could severely harm their chances of surviving and reproducing, say the Canadian researchers whose study is published today in Science.

“We show a clear link between neonicotinoid exposure at real-world levels and an impact on birds,” says lead author Margaret Eng, a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Saskatchewan Toxicology Center.

Spring bird migration occurs when farmers are planting, and most crops in the United States and Canada are grown with neonicotinoid-treated seeds. Birds may suffer repeated exposure at successive stopover sites where they rest and feed. That may extend migration delays and their consequences, the study concludes.

#905 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

The success story of the DDT ban in the U.S. continues as the Bald Eagle roars back in NJ. I remember in the early 1980s that there was just one active Bald Eagle nest in all of New Jersey. I now know of an area on the Delaware Bay marshes where you can see a dozen in an hour including one spot where I've seen 5 at a time.

On the verge of being wiped out 40 years ago, bald eagles have made a remarkable comeback in New Jersey, with record numbers of nests and young eagles reported this year.

Of the 238 eagle nests that were monitored by a small army of volunteers, 189 had eagles that laid eggs, up from 185 last year.

The big jump came in the number of chicks that survived their first weeks of life and gained enough strength to fledge or fly. There were 248, up from the previous high of 216 three years ago.

The numbers were made public this month by the Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey, whose staff and volunteers work with state government biologists to conduct an eagle census.

#906 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

One third of North America's bird population is gone since the 1970s. This is awful.

Nearly one-third of the wild birds in the United States and Canada have vanished since 1970, a staggering loss that suggests the very fabric of North America’s ecosystem is unraveling.

The disappearance of 2.9 billion birds over the past nearly 50 years was reported today in the journal Science, a result of a comprehensive study by a team of scientists from seven research institutions in the United States and Canada.

As ornithologists and the directors of two major research institutes that directed this study, even we were shocked by the results. We knew of well-documented losses among shorebirds and songbirds. But the magnitude of losses among 300 bird species was much larger than we had expected and alarmingly widespread across the continent.

What makes this study particularly compelling is the trustworthiness of the data. Birds are the best-studied group of wildlife; their populations have been carefully monitored over decades by scientists and citizen scientists alike. And in recent years, scientists have been able to track the volume of nighttime bird migrations through a network of 143 high-resolution weather radars. This study pulls all of that data together, and the results signal an unfolding crisis. More than half our grassland birds have disappeared, 717 million in all. Forests have lost more than one billion birds.

Much of the loss is among common species. The red-winged blackbird population has declined by 92 million. A quarter of all blue jays have disappeared, along with almost half of all Baltimore orioles. These are the birds we know and love, part of the bird life that makes North America lively, colorful and filled with song every spring. While it remains vital to save the most endangered of these birds, the loss of abundance among our most common species represents a different and frankly more ominous crisis.

Birds are indicator species, serving as acutely sensitive barometers of environmental health, and their mass declines signal that the earth’s biological systems are in trouble. Unfortunately, this study is just the latest in a long line of such mounting evidence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users