• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 30 August 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

The father of American ornithology.

http://www.lawyersgu...-grave-part-138

Despite being no more than an hour or so from my home I've never bothered to visit but I've seen the photos multiple times. I have a friend who has done a lot of research on the early figures of ornithology, especially in the Philadelphia area, and he knows his history inside and out.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#543 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

Too many riches ...

Posted Image
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#544 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

D. C. Sessions, on 09 September 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hmmmm. OK, I'm going to give a "I might come across as a dick" alert.

Some of these I really like very much and some have what I consider to be blatant flaws or simply don't work. For example the cropping and blurring of the Guillemot don't work at all for me. The swimming eider is shot at a very poor angle, shooting from way too far below. The fighting coots shot is a classic "coulda' been" but it's badly out of focus, well beyond what I would consider to be acceptable for an action photo though this kind of softness can work for a still scene. The crop on the female Mallard is just plain awful and I would have deleted it instantly if it was my shot. And how the blackbird taking a berry was only an honorable mention is beyond me. I understand the difficulty of getting that shot and find it to be nothing short of amazing. The Little Grebe and Great Snipe shots are honorable mentions but destroy the gold and bronze winners of that category (though the kingfisher that won silver shows excellent timing). And the posted shot, while a fantastic contrast of color vs. gray, looks like one flamingo has its head up the other flamingo's ass. For me that's a fatal flaw for a top photograph.

Maybe I'm just not an artistic kind of guy but too many of these are really ineffective IMHO. I've read and posted (in the beginner's section to learn how to take better photos) at some sites run by some of the top professional bird photographers in the U.S. and many of the pics just violate what I learned there. The things they teach are based on many, many combined years of experience on how non-photographers react to different things, i.e. whether or not they are "effective" and not things that just please other bird photographers.

There's a good crop in the Audubon Society's 2017 photo contest top 100. This shot of a Ring-necked Duck is near perfection to me with no leftover ripples from the dive, taken an instant before ripples form before it breaks the surface, and about as much through the water clarity and sharpness as you can ask for.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#545 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

Posted Image

#546 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

Cooper's Hawk finds refuge in the backseat of a taxi.

An injured hawk that sought refuge in a Houston taxicab before Harvey made landfall last month has been returned to the wild.

Cabdriver William Bruso dubbed the female Cooper’s hawk “Harvey the Hurricane Hawk” in online videos. He found her Aug. 25 before the hurricane made landfall that night and took her home. As Harvey’s rains fell the next day, Liz Compton of the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition Wildlife Center picked her up.

Compton says the hawk couldn’t fly because of head trauma, probably from flying into something.

After a week and a half of treatment by Compton, the hawk was taken to a center near Dallas for exercise before being released.

A spokesman for the Dallas suburb of Plano says she was released in a park there Wednesday.

#547 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Donald Trump isn't the only one with size issues.

Ruddy ducks (Oxyura jamaicensis) have relatively longer penises, compared to other waterfowl, and are known to be a highly promiscuous species, not forming pairing bonds at all. In the experiment, many males did not reach sexual maturity till the second year. Penises of smaller individuals housed in groups grew faster than those of ducks housed in pairs, but the growth among individuals in group housing was not in sync, and their reproductive condition lasted only for short periods of time.

This led the researchers to arrive at various conclusions.

One, male ruddy ducks that face competition from other males tend to grow their penises faster than those who were in a pair with a female. Two, individuals can delay their sexual maturing to minimize the cost of male-on-male aggression. Also, since this species already has relatively large penises, its ability to grow them even further based on social cues may be inherently limited.

#548 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3211 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:22 AM

Clearly that's where I've been going wrong. I should have grown my penis faster when facing competition from other males.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#549 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 22 September 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

Clearly that's where I've been going wrong. I should have grown my penis faster when facing competition from other males.

If I may ask a favor, please don't provide us ANY background to that post. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#550 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3211 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 September 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

If I may ask a favor, please don't provide us ANY background to that post. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Of course in these desperate times for America people on this board don't want to be bothered with my troubles. There's too much willie-waving already in US politics.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#551 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 22 September 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Of course in these desperate times for America people on this board don't want to be bothered with my troubles. There's too much willie-waving already in US politics.

Not to mention (small) hand waving, but we digress.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#552 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 22 September 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

...but we digress....

...constantly. It's one reason I keep coming back to visit TRS.

#553 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

Field guide to the birds of North America ... on one poster. (It doesn't cover all of the species but it's pretty neat.)

#554 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

Not great photography, but what do you want from IR?
On the other hand, the content ...

Posted Image
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#555 Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

https://www.nytimes....ghts-birds.html

For September 11th, they put out enormous lights at night near the world trade site to simulate the twin towers. It appears this has a big impact on migratory birds. Just anecdotally, last month my family saw a huge number of dead birds in the neighborhood that had hit windows. We always see a few and really noticed an uptick that we couldn't explain. Its tough to recall exact date ranges (the lights are on for about a week), but I'm assuming this was the cause. Mostly warblers and the like, but I even saw one of these (http://www.conservew...omus%20griseus/), which is not a normal bird to see in Manhattan.

#556 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

This has been a known problem for many years. Peak songbird migration is the worst time which is generally late August through early November in the fall and late April to very early June in spring.

Short-billed Dowitchers are actually quite common at Jamaica Bay NWR on Long Island and other coastal places as well during migration. If you look at a map you can see that it's a pretty straight shot from their breeding area around Hudson Bay to the coast. While they won't linger in Manhattan they can certainly be expected to fly over in numbers. Here's their range map:

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users