#521 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16579 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

View Postcmk, on 21 July 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Birders, please begin preparations for hating me. I just got back from two weeks in Costa Rica.

Jealousy and envy for sure but no hate. Can we assume you'll be posting pictures?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#522 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7254 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Due to my horrible perfectionism and procrastination issues, no, you cannot, but I promise I will post some quickies anyway. :)

What type do you like. I don't even know what some of them are, lol.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#523 Gray Area

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

View PostLFC, on 21 July 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

If the parents are still around they'll go back to feeding when it starts making its begging calls.

FYI I think the bill is too broad for a wren. I think this may be a House Sparrow but it doesn't have enough pattern yet for me to be sure. Both House Wren and House Sparrow nest in similar places.

RE: Our Little Guest

I think you are correct about our little guest being a House Sparrow.

Earlier this evening I listened to YouTube recordings of both House Wrens and House Sparrows. Our little guest has the same voice as his parents, and the parents sound exactly like the House Sparrow recording. That is, the parents don’t really ‘sing’ like a House Wren. They, instead, simply chirp loudly with intervals of silence of varying length between chirps.

I’ll take and post more photos of our little guest when he’s big enough to release.

#524 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

Sparrow, nor swallow.
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#525 Gray Area

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

View PostGray Area, on 21 July 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

RE: Our Little Guest

I think you are correct about our little guest being a House Swallow Sparrow.

Earlier this evening I listened to YouTube recordings of both House Wrens and House Swallows Sparrows. Our little guest has the same voice as his parents, and the parents sound exactly like the House Swallow Sparrow recording. That is, the parents don’t really ‘sing’ like a House Wren. They, instead, simply chirp loudly with intervals of silence of varying length between chirps.

I’ll take and post more photos of our little guest when he’s big enough to release.

View PostAnBr, on 21 July 2017 - 10:39 PM, said:

Sparrow, nor swallow.

Thanks, I really shouldn't post when I'm tired.

PS: Especially when I'm too tired to notice the "Edit" feature on the original post. So, that's it for me tonight!

#526 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16579 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

View Postcmk, on 21 July 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Due to my horrible perfectionism and procrastination issues, no, you cannot, but I promise I will post some quickies anyway. :)

What type do you like. I don't even know what some of them are, lol.

Forest birds rather than ducks, herons, and egrets (which are often the same species we have up here) and if you post up some of the things you don't know, I'll take a swing at them. If I can't figure it out I know people who can!
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#527 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9800 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

https://www.facebook...19678401449122/
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#528 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16579 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

Naked Man Arrested for Chasing Seagulls on a Michigan Beach

I don't think he knows what we mean by the term "birding".

#529 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7254 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

Let's start with a Costa Rican Cliche [tm]. Have a toucan in a tree. :)

Attached Images

• Attached Image: toucan.jpg

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#530 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16579 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

Chestnut-mandibled Toucan. Depending upon the authority it is either its own species or a subspecies of Yellow-throated Toucan.

BTW it would be helpful if you tell me which part of Costa Rica you were in. There's been some recent taxonomic splits and it might matter in naming the bird to actual species. Of course I probably could have told you that this was the Banana Gobbler Toucan and you wouldn't know any better! :D

#531 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7254 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

Oh no, I knew exactly what that was. This was taken at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. It's only the obscure stuff I won't know, and also telling apart the many hummingbirds can be a challenge. (They told us names and I promptly forgot them.)

We spent a LOT of money on tour guides. It was recommended that we do this as otherwise you can wander a jungle and see nothing. It was worth the funds in most cases. They spotted things I never even would have imagined, in some cases I have no idea how, things 40 feet up trees 80% obscured by branches etc. Most also knew the birds by their call to help locate them.

This however I believe was just taken wandering the grounds.

BTW your comment is interesting. When we were there, more than one guide expressed annoyance because they said the chestnut-mandibled was being "renamed" the yellow-throated. They didn't mention it being a subspecies, but said that the name was being changed because there was another toucan that also had a chestnut mandible. However, they pointed out that there are even MORE toucans with yellow throats so the rename made even less sense. However, your explanation makes more sense.

Apparently the two differ only by around 1% in DNA, but I believe humans and chimps differ by even less.

#532 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16579 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

View Postcmk, on 25 July 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Oh no, I knew exactly what that was. This was taken at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. It's only the obscure stuff I won't know, and also telling apart the many hummingbirds can be a challenge. (They told us names and I promptly forgot them.)

If they're not female hummingbirds I might have a shot. There are just too many green and white female hummingbirds and I have too little experience in the tropics.

We spent a LOT of money on tour guides. It was recommended that we do this as otherwise you can wander a jungle and see nothing. It was worth the funds in most cases. They spotted things I never even would have imagined, in some cases I have no idea how, things 40 feet up trees 80% obscured by branches etc. Most also knew the birds by their call to help locate them.

The guide Traveler and I (and our group) used in Honduras had visual skills like I've never seen. He was so fast and was able to ID the most fleeting glimpses of birds as well as pick them out of dense foliage the instant they landed. Worth ... every ... cent.

BTW your comment is interesting. When we were there, more than one guide expressed annoyance because they said the chestnut-mandibled was being "renamed" the yellow-throated. They didn't mention it being a subspecies, but said that the name was being changed because there was another toucan that also had a chestnut mandible. However, they pointed out that there are even MORE toucans with yellow throats so the rename made even less sense. However, your explanation makes more sense.

Apparently the two differ only by around 1% in DNA, but I believe humans and chimps differ by even less.

When DNA was first "hot" in ornithology it seemed that a lot of people talked about percent difference and not really about which genes were important for speciation. Since then there's been a big shift to using that as just one indicator with vocalizations (innate calls, not learned ones) and breeding separation taking a more prominent role.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users