#461 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3020 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

True facts?

What were the alternative facts? Just in case I don't like the true ones.

Also, true facts, alternative facts and facts: are these two categories or three?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#462 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

LFC! Can you help Kevin Drum out?

#463 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 03 April 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

LFC! Can you help Kevin Drum out?

I disagree that this bird is identifiable as Allen's from these photos. Allen's and Rufous are virtually identical except adult males and even then you can have a sneaky Rufous with Allen's-like plumage. (A typical adult male Rufous is quite identifiable without a tail shot.)

A spread tail shot is required for positive ID. A quick Google search shows a nice comparison shot for the tail feather shape you need to nail it down. Here's a great article on separating the two by one of the preeminent hummingbird experts in the U.S., Sherri Williamson. It literally comes down to the notching in tail feather R2 in Rufous and the generally shape of R5 which is skinnier in Allen's. Having sat on bird records committees and having had to assess photos to see if they were identifiable I can say with some expertise that ID of the two can be a royal pain in the dick ... ornithologically speaking.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#464 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

The Onion reviews the movie "Sully", but from another point of view.

http://www.theonion....ews-sully-53908

Never forget.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#465 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6966 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

This is a couple years old, but still fun.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#466 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6966 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

Decorah Eagles today:

http://explore.org/l...gles-north-nest

Posted Image
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#467 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3020 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

Why were Ma and Pa Goose allowed to walk round the corridors without security badges?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#468 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

Posted Image
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#469 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Hmmmm. That color, short wings, and short tail make me wonder if the bird portion of that photo was a Tody like my profile pic.

#470 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#471 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

Tufted Coquette, a species of hummingbird. I need to get down to Trinidad & Tobago some day to see that one. I have seen two of its slightly less flashy cousins, the White-crested Coquette (below) and the Black-crested Coquette.

Posted Image

#472 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Given the time of year I am reposting this one

#473 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Birdsong During a Desert Spring Shower

#474 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostAnBr, on 24 April 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

I've actually birded Anza Borrego. Neat place.

#475 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2331 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Get down baby !!

https://www.facebook...53380464988571/
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#476 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

I dithered over whether this should be here or over in the "3D Printing" subthread on Minimum Wage. In the end, it's more about birds than employment, but either way it's cool:
Beauty and the Beak on Vimeo
The buck stops here; the rest is someone else's problem.
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
First they came for the Muslims, and we said "Not this time, motherfucker!"
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#477 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image

#478 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

That's either a great carving or a really crappy photograph!

#479 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

One building in Galveston, TX killed almost 400 migratory songbirds in one night. Some of these are experiencing serious population drops.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users