Police Behaving Badly and What to Do About It

1106 replies to this topic

#61 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I saw a headline elsewhere that the NYPD union wanted all cop killings defined as gate crimes. I guess if you look at recent events you could decide that the cops hate "civilians".... oh, wait! You mean that isn't what they meant?
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#62 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

What is a "gate" crime?
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#63 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostAnBr, on 05 January 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

What is a "gate" crime?

Like a gateway drug? Or maybe a "hate" crime. Sigh.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#64 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

Damned iPhone strikes again.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#65 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13137 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostAnBr, on 05 January 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Damned iPhone strikes again.
PW, you really do give Apple a bad name. But we so enjoy the typos.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#66 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_6446340.html

A little fishy now don't ya think?
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#67 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

Double post.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#68 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

Today NPR reports a study showing even when internal groups suggest discipline (up to termination) of officers for using a choke hold, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly refused to do more than ask them to review regulations.

Wasn't he a darling of the GOP a year or so back?

http://www.npr.org/b...ds-report-finds
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#69 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Remember we were talking about grand juries in general and Staten Island in particular? How a DA like Donovan with political ambitions would not want to indict New York cops?

So he just announced he's going to run for Grimm's seat. Didn't take long.

#70 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Elsewhere, that video really riled people up in AlbeQ

http://www.latimes.c...0112-story.html

#71 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

View Postgmat, on 12 January 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Remember we were talking about grand juries in general and Staten Island in particular? How a DA like Donovan with political ambitions would not want to indict New York cops?

So he just announced he's going to run for Grimm's seat. Didn't take long.

The story in the link is about internal police discipline , or lack there of. It appears the NYPD has had multiple cases where internal review suggest discipline of officers, but top officials declined.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#72 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 12 January 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

The story in the link is about internal police discipline , or lack there of. It appears the NYPD has had multiple cases where internal review suggest discipline of officers, but top officials declined.

Sorry, I was referring to something else from a while back. Just jogged my memory when I saw Donovan was running.

#73 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

A glimmer of justice

2 Albuquerque cops face possible murder charges in homeless man's death
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#74 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 12 January 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

That's totally unfair. We demand that our police protect us from homeless people camped out in the middle of fucking no-where, and bothering nobody, but when when they murder them (and really... what options did they have? Remember he's already in the middle of fucking nowhere... where could they take him that was any more remote?) we get all pissy and complain that they use excessive force.

If you don't want your police killing homeless people, give them a home and a bulletproof vest! It's not the police's fault that these people are not impervious to gunfire and flash grenades. sheesh.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#75 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28592 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

Officer acquitted of charges even with video showing him kicking and stomping a suspect hit with a stun gun and lying motionless on the ground.

http://www.nbcphilad...-288604041.html

I guess we should feel sorry for the officer. He probably got some blood on his shoes.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#76 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Then they should charge the purp with destruction of public property.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#77 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

View PostLFC, on 15 January 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

Officer acquitted of charges even with video showing him kicking and stomping a suspect hit with a stun gun and lying motionless on the ground.

http://www.nbcphilad...-288604041.html

I guess we should feel sorry for the officer. He probably got some blood on his shoes.

I've love to hear the deliberations for that one. Simply amazing.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#78 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

Two of the three officers captured in the video pleaded guilty in June to depriving Lopez-Soto of his civil rights. Higgins pleaded not guilty. His name was cleared Wednesday in federal court.

Read more: http://www.nbcconnec...l#ixzz3P0GVW3o8

I imagine the other two cops must feel pretty stupid just about now.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#79 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28592 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

It appears that New Yorkers don't think too much of Patrick Lynch, the loudmouth apologist in chief for the NYPD, or the disrespectful shenanigans he advocates. Bold is mine.

New York City voters disapprove of police officers turning their backs on the Mayor at police funerals by 69% to 27%. 77% think police union President Pay Lynch's "blood on his hands" remarks were "too extreme" and no racial or gender subset of the population considers the comments "appropriate."

Though there are big differences across the city's racial groups 47% of New Yorkers say de Blasio's actions since he began his run for Mayor show he supports the city's police. 37% say the opposite.

Finally 52% of New Yorkers (versus 38%) says police discipline has broken down.

Pat Lynch is deeply unpopular, an accolade he shares with Al Sharpton.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#80 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28592 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

Oh dear god. Now it turns out that there's a police department in Florida (knock me over with a feather) that has been using police mugshots for target practice at the range. The chief of the North Miami Beach Police Department said that this is standard. It was discovered when a member of the Florida Army National Guard went to the range and found a photo of her brother among those shot up by the police during training.

Deant's sister, who serves in the Florida Army National Guard, said she discovered her brother's face last month among a set of black male mugshots that were being used for target practice when she attended a shooting range, the station reported. Members of the the North Miami Police Department had been practicing there earlier, she told the station.

The mugshot was 15 years old, according to the family.

“Now I’m being used as a target?” Woody Deant told the station. “I’m not even living that life according to how they portrayed me as. I’m a father. I’m a husband. I’m a career man. I work 9-to-5.”

Posted Image

The police defense was that it wasn't racist because they blasted holes in the faces of whites and Hispanics as well.

Seriously, what hammerhead at the upper echelons of this department thought this was a good idea? They should be fired, if for no other reason than being dumb as a bag of rocks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users