1101 replies to this topic

#21 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

Here's a man who saw the racism of police in St. Louis from both sides, both as somebody police rousted and later as an officer himself.

As a kid, I got used to being stopped by the police. I grew up in an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis. It was the kind of place where officers routinely roughed up my friends and family for no good reason.

I hated the way cops treated me.

But I knew police weren’t all bad. One of my father’s closest friends was a cop. He became a mentor to me and encouraged me to join the force. He told me that I could use the police’s power and resources to help my community.

So in 1994, I joined the St. Louis Police Department. I quickly realized how naive I’d been. I was floored by the dysfunctional culture I encountered.

I won’t say all, but many of my peers were deeply racist.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#22 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostLFC, on 08 December 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

Fox News host expresses agreement that minorities need to be trained to be more sensitive to police.

Yes, the actual victims need to accommodate the bed wetters.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#23 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostLFC, on 08 December 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

Fox News host expresses agreement that minorities need to be trained to be more sensitive to police.

It reads like a story from The Onion.

I think they are "sensitive" above the collar of the vest... Oh. Wait, that isn't what they meant.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#24 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

I thought Seattle was pretty progressive, but clearly it rely doesn't matter:

http://www.lawyersgu...police-violence

For additional irony, the injury she suffered us what Wilson and various RWNJ sources claimed Wlison suffered in fighting with Micael Brown. You know, the slight redness around his face...
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#25 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8135 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

Bad behavior? You be the judge. Chicago PD cars out in force, driving through a "Black Matters" protest (peaceful) and blasting "Sweet Home, Alabama" as they roll.

https://www.youtube....h?v=snviTYMXn7I
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 10 December 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Bad behavior?

Race baiting at its finest.

Can you imagine just how outraged this asshole would be if a car drove slowly by a memorial for a slain officer while blaring "Body Count" ("Cop Killer")? This guy is one sick mofo.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostLFC, on 10 December 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Race baiting at its finest.

Can you imagine just how outraged this asshole would be if a car drove slowly by a memorial for a slain officer while blaring "Body Count" ("Cop Killer")? This guy is one sick mofo.

I'd love to have the phone phreak savvy to have an un-traceable call to him every night just play that....
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#28 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 10 December 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Bad behavior? You be the judge. Chicago PD cars out in force, driving through a "Black Matters" protest (peaceful) and blasting "Sweet Home, Alabama" as they roll.

https://www.youtube....h?v=snviTYMXn7I

These "people" are just sick. Sad twisted f***s.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#29 dsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3654 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Nice slam-fest going in the comments under the video. lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8135 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

Oh lord, DSP- Youtube commentary is the lowest of the lowest info folks on the planet, when it comes to sociopolitical situations. Music? Often a different story.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#31 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

Great citation source DSP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#32 dsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3654 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostAnBr, on 10 December 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

Great citation source DSP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I posted because I thought the exchange was amusing and illustrative of how the same points (more or less) get reused over and over in these debates no matter the venue.

I didn't post to endorse any particular comment under the video. Is there are particular number that was used you feel is wildly off base? Let me know which one, and I'll try to find time to check the primary sources.

#33 dsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3654 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't see much difference in principle between liberals and conservatives in most of these race debate. Regarding police brutality issues, practically all conservatives talk about is black crime as if other things like poverty, education, jobs, criminal justice disparities and historical bias have no place in the debate. On the other hand, I don't see any evidence myself liberals want to acknowledge the role black crime plays in constantly bringing blacks into conflict with the police. Liberals focus on everything that legitimately matters except that.

#34 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2732 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

View Postdsp, on 10 December 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

I don't see much difference in principle between liberals and conservatives in most of these race debate. Regarding police brutality issues, practically all conservatives talk about is black crime as if other things like poverty, education, jobs, criminal justice disparities and historical bias have no place in the debate. On the other hand, I don't see any evidence myself liberals want to acknowledge the role black crime plays in constantly bringing blacks into conflict with the police. Liberals focus on everything that legitimately matters except that.

Most of the socalled crime the blacks commit are drug related. Go to any frat house in the nation on Friday night and call me when the cops show up and bust the white boys for coke and weed.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#35 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Gotta' love Apologetics ™. So black on black crime is a bigger problem than white on black crime, so it's no big deal that an officer of the law was intentionally race baiting peaceful protesters. All I can say to folks like that is...

Posted Image

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

Wow. Here's another one for the "police overreaction" files. This officer tackles and Tases a 76-year old man over an expired inspection sticker. In addition to this guy completely going over the top, the car has a dealer plate which doesn't require and up to date inspection sticker.

Fire ... his ... ass.

#37 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostLFC, on 15 December 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Wow. Here's another one for the "police overreaction" files. This officer tackles and Tases a 76-year old man over an expired inspection sticker. In addition to this guy completely going over the top, the car has a dealer plate which doesn't require and up to date inspection sticker.

Fire ... his ... ass.

Tase him first, can't be too careful how he might react to the firing...
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#38 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9656 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 15 December 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Tase him first, can't be too careful how he might react to the firing...

Well, it's Texas. What did you expect?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Here's a good piece from Vox on how it SHOULD be done. It appears Richmond, CA has done quite a bit to keep its citizens safe and treated fairly while simultaneously protecting its officers.

#40 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9126 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hey, I wonder if ignorance of the law is an excuse after all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users