#1061 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4241 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostLFC, on 19 March 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Speaking of Sousa did you know that one of his marches (called The Liberty Bell) is the theme music used for Monty Python's Flying Circus?

I did. An inspired choice.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#1062 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9677 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

By way of Brad DeLong, we have Patrick Skinner:

"One of the questions I ask every class: When was the last time you had a positive encounter with a cop who didn’t know you were a cop in which she wasn’t telling you to do something (Traffic) or you weren’t asking something. The answer 100% has been ‘never’. That’s an issue.... I’m speaking to literally the most cop supportive group-other cops-and they can’t think of a positive voluntary encounter with a cop. The problem isn’t our neighbors. It’s us the cops. It doesn’t have to be this way. So, that’s my whole 1 day course kinda.... We need to train cops entirely as if they didn’t have a badge and a gun. And only at the end say ‘by the way, you have this authority, use it as a parachute.’ The badge gets you in the door. The rest is anti-drama. Act accordingly...

The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1063 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

I liked that and not just because the person who wrote it has a Great Gray Owl for an avatar.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1064 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

Here's an excellent idea for what to do about police behavior; gather and analyze real data. They did this in Texas and it looks like Austin is a bit out of control when it comes to traffic stops compared to other metro areas in the state. As the article notes without data nobody would have known. Reminds me of the research on Ferguson, MO and surrounding communities which revealed they were using minorities as cash machines to fund local government.

But Scott Henson, one of the nation’s finest criminal-justice policy wonks, dug deeper. A spreadsheet he created incorporates data on 4.6 million traffic stops conducted across 38 of the largest policing jurisdictions in Texas (excluding the Fort Worth Police Department, which had yet to report its data to the state).

He flagged three findings as especially noteworthy.

“Austin police are more likely to use injury-causing force against drivers they pull over than any other large Texas jurisdiction,” he wrote, “at 77 times per 10,000 stops. Houston PD was next, with a much lower rate at 53 per 10,000. After that were Denton PD (42), Corpus Christi (24), and Texas [Department of Public Safety] (17), with rates headed south from there. Austin police use force at traffic stops more than four times as often as state troopers, and at 20x the rate of the San Antonio PD!”

Next he turned to how frequently arrests were made for Class C misdemeanors. “Waco PD leads the pack,” he wrote, “arresting 451 drivers out of every 10,000 traffic stops. (Amazing: That’s nearly one in 20 drivers!) Following Waco, departments arresting the most people at traffic stops for Class Cs were League City (406), San Antonio (246), Odessa (236), Killeen (181), Lewisville (172), Beaumont (153), Houston (150), Midland (142), and Austin (124).”

Finally, he compared how frequently jurisdictions arrested people who had outstanding warrants for traffic tickets.

His takeaway was that “Austin PD stands out among the worst in each category: Most likely to use force at traffic stops; in the top five on arresting for outstanding warrants; and in the top ten for arresting drivers on Class C misdemeanor charges. The city has a reputation as liberal, but these data evidence quite authoritarian policing practices compared to other large Texas jurisdictions.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1065 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

I had no idea.

ETA: Whiteness ftw?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1066 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

Alabama (I feel like I could easily just stop there) follows up with Third World style prisons. I'd love to see real stats about the police actions that put people there, not that I'd ever expect to get accurate data out of that shithole.

The Justice Department has determined that Alabama’s prisons are violating the Constitution by failing to protect inmates from violence and sexual abuse and by housing them in unsafe and overcrowded facilities, according to a scathing report Wednesday that described the problems as “severe” and “systemic.”

The federal government also is putting the state on notice that it may sue if officials there don’t make improvements soon.

“Our investigation found reasonable cause to believe that Alabama fails to provide constitutionally adequate conditions and that prisoners experience serious harm, including deadly harm, as a result,” said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband, who leads the department’s civil rights division. “The Justice Department hopes to work with Alabama to resolve the Department’s concerns.”

The report detailed a litany of problems in the state’s 13 prisons for men, which together house roughly 16,000 inmates. Those include an overcrowding rate that the Justice Department says ranks among the highest in the nation and a “crisis level” staffing shortage.

In a single week in September 2017, the report found, two inmates stood guard at the doors of a dormitory in one facility while two others repeatedly stabbed a prisoner who eventually bled to death; an inmate at another facility was stabbed and had to be evacuated by helicopters; and a prisoner in a dorm reserved for inmates with good behavior was woken from sleep when two inmates attacked him with a sock filled with metal locks.

The report is only the latest blow to the troubled Alabama prison system, which has come under criticism for violence, overcrowding and a high suicide rate. A federal judge in 2017 ruled that the state has provided “horrendously inadequate” care to mentally ill inmates.

The findings are the result of an investigation opened in 2016 at the end of the Obama administration, which was aggressive in launching wide-ranging investigations into troubled police departments and corrections systems. In a number of cases, those probes led to agreements to make changes under federal oversight. The Trump administration, in contrast, has taken a more hands-off approach.

Before he left office last year, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a longtime Alabama senator, released a memo limiting the use of consent decrees struck between the federal government and local agencies under investigation.

I'm no fan of Barr but I'm glad that evil little gnome General Beauregard Sessions is gone. He was the most dangerous brand of racist. He didn't jump up and down screeching the n-word. Instead he quietly did everything he could get away with to crush them. He's one sick and twisted individual who clearly has some demons he tries to knock back by harming others.

#1067 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:14 PM

Welcome to the police state where the media is directly intimidated and attacked. I'm sure it's just coincidence that person who has some odd things roiling around after his death was an elected official who cracked down repeatedly on police corruption.

A longtime freelancer, Carmody brushed shoulders with the local police all the time, forming a copacetic relationship with the boys in blue.

But everything changed after the death of San Francisco public defender Jeff Adachi.

Adachi, an elected official who made his name by cracking down on police misconduct, died suddenly at age 59 in late February. The local press corps swarmed for information.

“I mostly cover homicides and rescues and fires,” Carmody said, explaining the first hours after Adachi’s death. “If you’ve been at a thousand fires in 30 years on the job, stuff that’s different stands out.”

He described the strange lack of information about Adachi’s death, the withholding of very basic details like where he was when he died.

“When this information started coming in weirdly all of our spidey senses just started going off,” he said of other local reporters. “Then all these wild rumors started flying.”

The rumors included whispers of drug involvement, of a prostitute, of a rented apartment littered with empty alcohol bottles and a mussed bed.

But when Carmody got his hands on the official police report, he was underwhelmed.

“Meh,” he said.

The report detailed cannabis gummy bears (legal in California) and a few bottles of alcohol in the recycling bin — a far cry from the den of iniquity being churned through the rumor mill.

“I took possession of this thing and did my reporting,” Carmody said. “I reject, by the way, the characterization that I was running around trying to sell the police report. I had worked for over 24 hours when my story was put on three local affiliate news networks in California.”

The story hit TV screens and caused an uproar. Adachi’s allies accused the police of trying to land one last smear on the public defender who was such a thorn in their side in life. City councilmen upbraided the department for allowing the report to be leaked, saying it “eroded public trust” in the institution. Police promised an internal probe and investigation for any criminal misconduct.

Carmody thought, after a harried and high-energy 24 hours, that his part in the action was done. Then the police came knocking.

#1068 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Here's a follow-up on the San Francisco PD story. Looks like they're now claiming "conspiracy" to justify their punitive beat down of a reporter.

San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott tried to offer up rationale Tuesday for aggressively raiding journalist Bryan Carmody’s home and office to uncover a source, as his department comes under fire for seemingly infringing on Carmody’s First Amendment rights.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Scott tried to float that idea that Carmody was a participant in a conspiracy to obtain the government document, despite the fact that outlets of all stripes routinely obtain leaked records.

“We believe that…an SFPD employee was a part of this,” he said. “We believe that in order for this to be successfully pulled off, there had to be some contact between the employee and Mr. Carmody…we believe he was part of the effort to illegally obtain this report.”

At the same time, he contradicted himself saying that “leaks happen all the time” and “I understand a journalist can receive reports.”

Carmody did not immediately respond to TPM’s request for comment. He had obtained a police report containing some salacious details of the death of Jeff Adachi, a San Francisco public defender, and sold it to local television stations as part of his work as a freelancer. When he wouldn’t divulge his source to the police, they tried to beat down his door with a sledgehammer.

But as David Snyder of the First Amendment Coalition previously told TPM, California in particular enjoys sweeping protections for journalists and their sources and specifically coverage in the case of a search warrant to try to uncover an anonymous source.

Snyder’s group has reportedly filed a motion to unseal the search warrant police used to search Carmody’s properties and confiscate many of his electronics and records.

I hope he sues their asses off and demands those involved resign. This is Trumpian tactics come to San Francisco.

#1069 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

The SF Police raid story just keeps getting worse.

San Francisco police actually executed more search warrants than were previously known, both on the department’s own officers and on journalist Bryan Carmody’s phone records — searches which may have been used to justify the later raids on Carmody’s home and office.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Police Chief Bill Scott acknowledged the existence of the previously unknown warrants and admitted that at least one search was probably illegal. He apologized for the raid last week after days of defending it.

“We served warrants on officers and a number of warrants on Mr. Carmody, including a warrant on a very specific time for his phones, and one of the issues that I saw in this is in the initial warrants,” Scott told the Chronicle. “As this investigation transpired, there’s one that’s particularly troubling or concerning.”

Tony Montoya, the president of an influential local police union, called for Scott’s resignation.

As the warrants are under seal, it’s hard to deduce what the police’s rationale was for the searches and raid. But since California enjoys particularly strict protections for journalists and their sources, police must have had an extremely good reason to carry out those actions or they risk running afoul of the law.

#1070 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

Here's a bit of a shift on this topic. Apparently when a sheriff is voted out of office in Alabama destroying property and stealing money is a bit of a long-time tradition. Is it any wonder that top local law officials who so easily break the law would fail to obey it when dealing with arrests? With all that record destruction it also makes you wonder how much money they stole over the years.

Shortly after Phil Sims became the sheriff of Marshall County, Alabama, at 12 a.m. on Jan. 14, he found a cardboard box in a storage closet containing five government-issued smartphones, each with multiple holes drilled clear through them.

It was the first time Sims had been allowed to enter the sheriff’s office, a red-brick building overlooking Lake Guntersville, a foggy bass-fishing mecca, since he defeated longtime Sheriff J. Scott Walls in the June primary election.

It didn’t take long for Sims to learn that the destroyed iPhones and Androids had belonged to his predecessor and his top brass. Sims also discovered that the hard drives had been removed from the computers in his and his chief deputy’s offices, and reams of records were nowhere to be found.

The records Walls did leave behind revealed that in the months following his electoral loss, he was wired tens of thousands of dollars from the sheriff’s office’s general fund, and more than $30,000 was missing from its commissary fund. The records, which were reviewed by AL.com and ProPublica, show that the sheriff’s office spent tens of thousands of public dollars on expenditures that Sims described as unnecessary and excessive, including over 20,000 rolls of toilet paper, hundreds of boxes of garbage bags and 10 massive drums of dishwashing liquid.

Donald Rhea, a lawyer for Walls, didn’t respond to repeated emailed requests for comment on a detailed list of claims made by Sims. Walls’ wife declined to connect a reporter with her husband and hung up the phone, and Walls did not respond to text and voice messages left at multiple numbers listed as his in public records.

Sims is not the only new sheriff who accused his predecessor of taking advantage of the power of his office as his term wound down. In fact, his predicament is just one example of a dubious but little-known tradition of Alabama sheriffs hobbling those who defeat them at the polls.

AL.com and ProPublica interviewed nine of the 10 new sheriffs who won elections against incumbents last year. All nine said that last-minute actions by their predecessors had negative impacts on their offices and, by extension, the public. A captain in the office of the tenth, Jefferson County Sheriff Mark Pettway, said there were no problems during his transition.

Many of the sheriffs alleged that their predecessors acted in ways that could be described as vindictive hazing: One failed to have a badge made for the new sheriff; another threw all the sheriff’s office’s unmarked keys in a pile, leaving his replacement to figure out which went to which door or vehicle.

But seven of the sheriffs made more serious accusations against their predecessors, many of which were corroborated by internal office records. Among their claims: Outgoing sheriffs pocketed public money, fudged financial reports, wasted sheriff’s office funds and destroyed or stole public property.

The findings are part of a yearlong examination by AL.com and ProPublica into how Alabama sheriffs are overseen and the vast county-by-county disparities in how they execute their duties and enforce the law.

Man, we should have cut that shithole free after the Civil War.

#1071 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

This sounds like a classic case where a totally justified police shooting ends up breaking the dam holding back years (decades? centuries?) of wholly justified grievances. Protesting over this case sounds unjustified but it's likely barely the tip of the iceberg. I just wonder why this was the last straw that set the long simmering rage loose.

The turmoil came after US marshals shot and killed a man Wednesday night in the north Memphis neighborhood of Frayser, officials said.

Marshals were trying to stop the man, who was wanted on multiple warrants, outside a home as the man was getting into a vehicle, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said.

The man "reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers' vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon," the bureau said. "The officers fired striking and killing the individual. No officers were injured."

Shelby County Commissioner Tami Sawyer identified the slain man as Brandon Webber. Sawyer tweeted that she went to the Frayser neighborhood because "this is my district. I went because I stand with my people. People are hurting."

"Don't judge Frayser without asking a community how it feels to mourn their youth over and over again," the commissioner tweeted.

News of Webber's death spread quickly as protesters hurled rocks at police, tore down a concrete wall outside a business and smashed the windows of squad cars and a fire station.

In addition to the 24 wounded officers, two journalists were also injured, the mayor said.

"Let me be clear -- the aggression shown toward our officers and deputies tonight was unwarranted," Strickland said.

But he lauded the composure of the officers as they became targets of attack.

"I was proud of our first responders," the mayor said. "I'm impressed by their professionalism and incredible restraint as they endured concrete rocks being thrown at them and people spitting at them."

#1072 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

The victims need to get the officers f***ing fired, sue the department, sue the officers personally, and press assault charges. This is an emotional, unprofessional, overreaction turned into an assault. These dudes ain't right in the head and should never be allowed to even touch a gun again much less be given the power of a police officer. All we can do is thank FSM that these mentally ill f***wits didn't actually hurt anybody.

An Arizona family claims “trigger-happy” police threatened to shoot them after their 4-year-old daughter walked out of a dollar store with a Barbie doll they hadn’t paid for — without the parents’ knowledge.

Officers responded to the shoplifting report May 29 involving a man and woman with two small children as they drove away from a Phoenix store, reported
“It was crazy, very scary over a dollar store,” said mother Iesha Harper. “I would have bought that doll had I knew.”

Video released this week by police show officers approach the family and order them out of their vehicle in a parking lot.

“Get your f*cking hands up!” one officer screams over and over. “I”m going to put a f*cking cap right in your f*cking head! Get your f*cking hands up! Who the f*ck is that man?”
Raw Story is now on Instagram. Get our latest stories and
exclusive videos. Click to follow!

Harper tells officers she cannot open the door because it doesn’t work properly and she is holding her children, and one of them threatens to shoot her.
Report Advertisement

“You’re going to f*cking get shot!” he shouts, pointing a gun at the vehicle. “Are you f*cking deaf? Get out the f*cking car!”

The woman begs the officer not to point his weapon at her children, and he tells her he doesn’t “give a sh*t” in video recorded by a bystander.

“I can’t put my hands up,” Harper sobs. “I have a f*cking baby in my hands. I can’t, I’m pregnant. Officer, he’s overdoing sh*t. He’s overdoing it.”

Another officers escorts the man from the car to a police cruiser, where he roughly places him in handcuffs.

“Feet, spread your feet!” the officer barks. “When I tell you to do something, you f*cking do it.”

The man, Dravon Ames, apologizes with his feet spread, as the officers twists his hands behind his back, and the officer asks what they did wrong.

“I didn’t do anything, sir,” Ames insists.

The other officer points his weapon inches away from Harper’s face, and waves it around as he continues barking at her.

It goes on.

#1073 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4241 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:29 AM

They were black. I knew that before I even clicked the link.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#1074 George Rowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationIn Perth now

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:35 AM

Percentage wise the police are probably more corrupt than any other institution there is (apart from a penal institution). But I do not hate them, their job sucks. My experience of false arrest, false imprisonment, threats and other abuse was promptly followed by my successful suit for false arrest and imprisonment. A detective sgt was reprimanded and moved to another district to continue his bad behavior.

Edited

Anyway, there seems to be something about their work that makes detectives lose it eventually. Maybe it is mixing with the scum of the earth. But I still think the police do a great job overall.

Of course I am Caucasian and do not get racial profiling.

Edited by George Rowell, 15 June 2019 - 08:12 PM.

A doctor knows a little about a lot. A specialist knows a lot about a little. In time the doctor knows less and less about more and more and the specialist knows more and more about less and less until ultimately the doctor knows nothing about everything and the specialist knows everything about nothing.

#1075 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

George, it's not just that the job is stressful, though I'm not going to dispute that bit.

When I met my wife she was taking college courses for corrections. Her experience is that a lot of people in those courses are the type of people that are eager to pull people out of their home/car at gun point. Not just, "Oh, that's going to be exciting", but rather cream-their-pants aggressiveness. It's state-sanctioned bullying writ large.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#1076 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostGeorge Rowell, on 15 June 2019 - 04:35 AM, said:

Percentage wise the police are probably more corrupt than any other institution there is (apart from a penal institution).

While that may be true their corruption has a greater chance of destroying individual lives than just about any other. The authority to detain, incarcerate, and use deadly force should come with a VERY high standard of behavior. "It's a hard job and sometimes I just get mad" is never an acceptable excuse. The potential outcome for others is just too dire.

#1077 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9677 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostLFC, on 24 June 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

While that may be true their corruption has a greater chance of destroying individual lives than just about any other. The authority to detain, incarcerate, and use deadly force should come with a VERY high standard of behavior. "It's a hard job and sometimes I just get mad" is never an acceptable excuse. The potential outcome for others is just too dire.

Can you imagine a surgeon making that excuse?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1078 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 24 June 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

Can you imagine a surgeon making that excuse?
Or a President?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1079 George Rowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationIn Perth now

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostLFC, on 24 June 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I felt outrage and fear when it happened, mostly fear. They only wanted info on someone and I told them to get lost. I refused to go to the police station unless they arrested me. OK one said, You are under arrest. I asked what for, absolutely stunned. He yawned, picked up some capsules the doc had prescribed and said suspicion of drugs. You get the picture!

At the station they threatened substituting my pills with cocaine and beating me up. After that they threw me in the cells for hours to think about it. I kept my mouth shut. Six weeks later when the lab test were clear I hit back with my law suit.

In the UK we have another factor - free masons. There are lots in the police and they can run amok. That is another saga I had. Lucky aren't I?

I still do not feel bad about either group. It takes a special type of man to do a job where you get shot at one day and have to help people dying in vehicle crashes on another. In that group you will get some who get dick hard pointing a gun at defenseless women and kids, paranoids, sadists and the whole gamut. It boils down to psychological screening, education and cost. Money money money. You get what you pay for.
A doctor knows a little about a lot. A specialist knows a lot about a little. In time the doctor knows less and less about more and more and the specialist knows more and more about less and less until ultimately the doctor knows nothing about everything and the specialist knows everything about nothing.

#1080 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

The Orlando PD didn't just cover up excessive force and racism, they honored it!

Orlando police Chief Orlando Rolón said he is reviewing how the department hands out its annual awards after an officer accused of excessive force and making a racist comment was named OPD’s 2018 patrol officer of the year.

Officer Jonathan Mills received the award in February “for being the most proactive member of his squad” and being a leader and motivator to squad mates, according to the department’s recently released annual report. But just a year before he received the award, Mills was reassigned from the department’s elite tactical squad to patrol for making a remark about a woman’s hair.

He was also the subject of two excessive force lawsuits settled in 2017 that cost the city $130,000.

After the Orlando Sentinel sent questions about why Mills was honored just a year after being reprimanded, Rolón said in a statement that change was needed.

“We routinely evaluate our policies and procedures and in this specific area, I decided that we need to improve our selection and evaluation process when it comes to awards,” he said. “Going forward, I will be working with my command staff as we go through our awards policies and we will be implementing changes to those policies to ensure that the entire process is beyond reproach.”

Mills also was named in two excessive force lawsuits that were settled in February 2017.

In one case, a man alleged Mills reached down the back of his pants and sexually assaulted him while looking for drugs during a 2014 traffic stop. The man settled for $80,000, documents show. In the other, another man accused Mills of slamming him to the ground for no reason during a October 2013 traffic stop. He received $50,000, according to the city.

The city said the settlements were not an admission of wrongdoing, and Mills maintained he acted appropriately in both cases.

According to the guidelines for the officer of the year, he or she must show “outstanding job performance, dedication to duty, unsullied moral character, exceptional community service and professional police image.”

One police sergeant defended him.

“Ofc. Mills has proved consistently, and throughout the entire year, that he is deserving of this award,” the letter written by Sgt. David Baker said. “Ofc. Mills ranks highest in squad stats every month and is the most proactive officer on the Downtown Bikes Day shift squad.”

Baker wrote Mills made more than 100 arrests, leading to the confiscation of six handguns, $11,000 in cash and 3.5 pounds of cannabis. Baker also said Mills served on the honor guard and escorted Mina during the change of command ceremony when Rolón became chief.

Baker highlighted some of Mills’ actions, which included chasing down a fleeing suspect and disarming him in March 2018; locating an illegal handgun, mushrooms, cocaine and more than $4,000 after a traffic crash in January 2018; and arresting a sexual battery suspect the fugitive unit was looking for in July 2018.

The letter did not mention his past but said he faced some “adversity.”

“Ofc. Mills has faced some adversity in his career but never became bitter or disheartened,” Baker wrote. “He learned from his past, moved forward and became stronger.”

Over 100 arrests netting 6 guns, $11,000, and 3.5 lbs of weed? WTF? What were the other 90% or so arrests for?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users