#201 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

D. C. Sessions, on 26 January 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

Massachusetts has a law in the works prohibiting any agency of the State to do Jefferson Beauregard's dirty work.

This is similar to sanctuary cities and states in reasoning. Let the Feds enforce federal law.

#202 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8285 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

In fact, the Massachusetts act is being described as a "marijuana sanctuary State" bill.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#203 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

San Francisco is doing its part to reject the ugly history of marijuana laws and the War on Drugs. Let's hope California follows.

The city of San Francisco is set to wipe clean criminal convictions linked to marijuana offenses dating back over 40 years, weeks after California legalized the drug.

California's legalization of recreational marijuana took effect at the beginning of January, making the state the largest legal market for pot in the world.

The move will affect thousands whose marijuana convictions hurt their employment prospects and obtaining certain government benefits, according to The San Francisco Chronicle.

"While drug policy on the federal level is going backwards, San Francisco is once again taking the lead to undo the damage that this country's disastrous, failed drug war has had on our nation and on communities of color in particular," said District Attorney George Gascon.

"Long ago we lost our ability to distinguish the dangerous from the nuisance, and it has broken our pocket books, the fabric of our communities, and we are no safer for it.

"A criminal conviction can be a barrier to employment, housing and other benefits, so instead of waiting for the community to take action, we're taking action for the community," he stressed.

The DA's office will review 4,940 felony convictions and dismiss and seal 3,038 misdemeanors.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#204 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

Some in Colorado are progressing towards getting "magic mushrooms" decriminalized. They have an eye on eventual legalization.

Nearly two dozen activists from Colorado for Psilocybin met Monday with city officials in Denver, and they’re optimistic they can soon take the next step in legalizing “shrooms,” reported Colorado Public Radio.

The group touted several recent scientific studies showing the medical benefits of using psilocybin, the active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms, and called for an end to felony charges for possession of the drug.

Under the preliminary proposal that voters may consider, anyone caught with more than 2 ounces of dried mushrooms or 2 pounds of uncured “wet” mushrooms could be cited and fined up to $99 for a first offense, and an additional $100 for subsequent offenses.

Tyler Williams, of the Psilocybin Decriminalization Initiative, said marijuana legalization provided a helpful template for their initiative.

“I’m a big believer in cognitive liberty, and so whatever people decide to consume I think is up to them,” Williams said. “I think people should be informed about what they are consuming, and they shouldn’t have to be afraid of going to jail for that.”

Activists cited two studies that found psilocybin helped cancer patients deal with stress on a long-term basis, and other studies found the drug can help patients manage depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.

“It’s helped me tremendously with my own mental health and on top of that, with creativity, and really being able to just explore different aspects of myself, and really get some healing from the inside out,” said activist Kevin Matthews, who said he was diagnosed with depression as a teenager.

The activists and city officials discussed phrasing for the initiative, and they must next submit the petition materials for review by the Denver Elections Division.

If the petition is approved at that point, then advocates can begin gathering signatures in hopes of placing the measure on November’s ballot.

In other news we have footage of Jeff Sessions when he heard about this.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#205 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Marijuana legalization appears to correlate to reduced use of opioids.

As more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana, doctors may be replacing opioid prescriptions with suggestions to visit a local marijuana dispensary. Two papers published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine analyzing more than five years of Medicare Part D and Medicaid prescription data found that after states legalized weed, the number of opioid prescriptions and the daily dose of opioids went way down.

That indicates that some people may be shifting away from prescription drugs to cannabis, though the studies can't say whether this substitution is actually happening or if patients or doctors are the driving force.

"In this time when we are so concerned - rightly so - about opiate misuse and abuse and the mortality that's occurring, we need to be clear-eyed and use evidence to drive our policies," said W. David Bradford, an economist at the University of Georgia and an author of one of the studies. "If you're interested in giving people options for pain management that don't bring the particular risks that opiates do, states should contemplate turning on dispensary-based cannabis policies."

Previous research has pointed to a similar correlation. A 2014 paper found that states with medical marijuana laws had nearly 25 percent fewer deaths from opioid overdoses.

But the new research is the first to connect marijuana legalization to prescription painkillers with such large data sets.

One of the two new studies found that people on Medicare filled 14 percent fewer prescriptions for opioids after medical marijuana laws were passed in their states. The second study found that Medicaid enrollees filled nearly 40 fewer opioid prescriptions per 1,000 people each year after their state passed any law making cannabis accessible - with greater drops seen in states that legalized both medical and recreational marijuana.

In General Beauregard Sessions's world that means replacing opioids with a more dangerous drug.

#206 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

John Boehner has a new job!

Former House Speaker John Boehner announced Wednesday his newest post-congressional venture: the advisory board of a marijuana corporation.

John Boehner
@SpeakerBoehner
I’m joining the board of #AcreageHoldings because my thinking on cannabis has evolved. I’m convinced de-scheduling the drug is needed so we can do research, help our veterans, and reverse the opioid epidemic ravaging our communities. @AcreageCannabis https://www.acreageh...ors-appointment

6:58 AM - Apr 11, 2018

Boehner, along with former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, will join the advisory board of Acreage Holdings, a “multi-state owner of cannabis licenses” headquartered in New York City.

Bloomberg, which first reported Boehner’s new role Wednesday, noted that Boehner said he was “unalterably opposed” to marijuana legalization nine years ago.

“Over the last 10 or 15 years, the American people’s attitudes have changed dramatically,” Boehner told Bloomberg. “I find myself in that same position.”

#207 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3671 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 April 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

John Boehner has a new job!

Bah! He only chose that job because the perks include free spliffs.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#208 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Chuck Schumer is now supporting marijuana starting with a decriminalization bill.

On Friday, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer announced his plans to introduce legislation decriminalizing marijuana, calling the bill "simply the right thing to do" in light of the number of people serving long jail sentences for possessing small amounts of the drug.

"The time has come to decriminalize marijuana,” Schumer said in a statement. "My thinking—as well as the general population’s views—on the issue has evolved, and so I believe there’s no better time than the present to get this done."

#209 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7894 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

Oh, my. Let's just say that the end of retail- huge spaces- are making it possible for real grow areas. Takes some specialized lighting etc.

But really- what will we really do with all the mall spaces that are dead, due to Internet? Lol. It is the real estate I've been seeking. Sometimes.it gets a bit rough. Whatever. Take the real estate, and wait for corporate to take you. OK. I'm tired....take it all. I win. And in a couple of places- yikes. Guns, moving out addicts. Get off my property. Not easy, but a bunch of corporate nests ready and willing.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#210 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Here's an interesting character who has entered the business. It always seems to come down to personal impact and never about trying to actually understand the impacts felt by many, many others.

I just learned about 4/20, on my tour of a cannabis cultivation center in a nondescript warehouse on an industrial strip next to a freeway in Washington, D.C., where I live.

Licensed under the name Phyto Management, the center I visited is the eight cultivation business licensed in the District, and its co-founders, lawyer Edward Weidenfeld, who was general counsel to Ronald Reagan’s 1980 campaign, and Andras Kirshner, who has a degree in sustainable agriculture, point to the growing status and profitability of the cannabis industry.

These are not aging flower children. Weidenfeld is a prosperous estate and asset protection lawyer, a pillar of the pre-Trump GOP elite. His wife, Sheila Weidenfeld, served as First Lady Betty Ford’s press secretary. Kirshner, a friend of Weidenfeld’s sons, brings scientific knowledge and has hired a fellow alumnus from the University of Maine with a master’s degree in plant breeding and genetics. They hope to develop strains of cannabis exclusive to Phyto.

“Not everyone has such a regimen,” Weidenfeld says, as we tour various stages of the process, blue booties on our feet to avoid contamination, and with dark glasses at the ready to protect our eyes in the brightly lit rooms filled with plants at different stages of growth. “This idea it’s a weed and all you do is toss out the seed might get you something that might get you high, and might give you medical relief,” he says, but his goal is to produce a product pure enough and consistent enough in its dosage to pass muster with his neurologist.

Diagnosed seven years ago with Parkinson’s, Weidenfeld wanted to try medical marijuana for symptomatic relief of the tremors associated with Parkinson’s, and for its potentially protective benefits. His neurologist was skeptical though not averse, “but only if I could be 100 percent certain of what I was purchasing. He told me my immune system was already heavily burdened, and I didn’t want any toxins or fungicides or heavy metals, and I should be wary of buying any of this on the street.”

#211 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7894 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:01 PM

A funny story within 4-20. I just had a change in credit cards. Upgrade, or whatever. The biggest mourn was the loss of my expiration date, plus the 3 digit:

Expiration 4-20. 3 digit code was 365.

It made me slightly famous, for a while, as most people assumed I'd paid for that. Nope. But sort of funny, for a non-imbiber.

4/20. Make it legal. Get these folks out of the legal system. Nationwide, My goodness- we have so many other issues to deal with...
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#212 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Cheech and Chong discuss legalization of marijuana with Stephen Colbert.

It all began on Monday night when “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert said he still couldn’t stop thinking about the news that former House Speaker and “maple-glazed American” John Boehner had completely changed his tune on marijuana.

Earlier this month Boehner was appointed to the board of advisors at Acreage Holdings, a multi-state cannabis business that aims to “make cannabis available to any patient who can benefit from safe and reliable access.” After serving as a GOP lawmaker who was staunchly opposed to progressive marijuana legislation, he announced that his “thinking on cannabis has evolved.”

“Wow,” Colbert said. “In one sentence he came around on three things Republican congressman normally don’t: cannabis, evolution, and thinking.”

Colbert explained that he needed to check in with two experts in the field, none other than Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong.

Colbert pointed out that marijuana has essentially became mainstream, and asked if the pair thought that was a good thing.

“Actually Stephen, we think this news sucks,” Marin said. “I mean, pot used to be rebellious.”

Chong chimed in, “Yeah, now crusty old Republicans like John Boehner are into it.”

“Pot’s over man!” he added.

The two said they were not excited about legalization, because it’s “boring.”

“The last time I bought weed it was in a store in a strip mall,” Marin said.

“Well where’d you used to buy it?” Colbert asked.

Marin quipped, “Behind a store in a strip mall.”

Chong announced that the iconic duo was no longer doing stoner comedies. But they reassured Colbert they weren’t quitting comedy and were just moving onto “edgier territory stuff, stuff that’s still illegal,” such as unpasteurized dairy products.

The two explained they were into other illicit stuff as well, like “importing exotic reptiles,” and “taping an distributing football games without the express-written consent of the NFL.”

#213 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Euthanize? Seriously?

The head of a police K-9 academy in Illinois said police might be forced to euthanize some of the 275 trained drug search dogs in the state if the legislature legalizes recreational marijuana, reports The Pantagraph.

According to Chad Larner, director of Maron County’s K-9 Training Academy, “retraining” the dogs would be “extreme abuse,” and that many of the dogs are not socialized to the extent that they would make good pets if retired.

It's the National Lampoon all over again.

Posted Image

#214 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11828 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

I probably still have that issue buried somewhere.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#215 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

NYC wants to stop arresting people caught smoking marijuana.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has told the city’s police chiefs that it’s time to stop arresting people who are caught smoking marijuana in public, CNN reports. The mayor reportedly told the NYPD this weekend to issue summonses for smoking pot in public instead of making arrests. The NYPD has already set up a working group to review its marijuana enforcement procedures, but the mayor made it clear this weekend that ending public marijuana smoking arrests is one of the changes he wants.

#216 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

Boehner continues his 180 on marijuana ... now that he has no political risk and he'll personally profit. Still any support is good for the destruction of the insane criminalization we have today. Of course General Beauregard Sessions will weep.

Former House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) told Cincinnati station WCPO Monday that he thinks recreational marijuana should be regulated by states, and that states that allow medical marijuana have seen myriad positive benefits.

“If the states decide they want to do this, this is up to them, but I am not going to be an advocate on what the states should and should not do,” Boehner told WCPO. “That’s clearly up to them.”

Boehner’s position has been echoed in the highest levels of government lately, as President Donald Trump said Friday that he will “probably end up supporting” a bill that would buffer state laws on marijuana from federal interference.

The bill, spearheaded by Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Cory Gardner (R-CO), would give states leeway to make their own decisions on both recreational and medical marijuana policy.

On the subject of medical marijuana, Boehner was more loquacious during his interview. “There’s a lot of evidence that it works,” he said, referring specifically to children with epilepsy and veterans with chronic pain or PTSD.

He added that relaxing the rules around recreational marijuana could provide an alternative to more dangerous drugs. “When you look at the states where medical marijuana is pretty prevalent, the use of opioids is down 25 percent,” Boehner said.

Since leaving Congress in 2015, Boehner has flipped his position on marijuana, even joining the board of a company that promotes the use of medical marijuana.

#217 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Oklahoma voted to legalize medical marijuana.

Oklahoma voters overwhelmingly backed the medicinal use of marijuana Tuesday despite a late opposition campaign from law enforcement and business, religious, and political leaders. The proposed law will make it legal to grow, sell, and use marijuana for medicinal purposes. Opponents criticized the proposal because it doesn’t outline qualifying conditions, which will allow physicians to authorize marijuana use for a wide range of ailments and illnesses. It passed with 56.8 percent of the vote. Under the law, a two-year medical-marijuana license would allow someone to possess up to eight ounces of marijuana, six mature plants, and six seedlings, along with edibles and concentrated forms of the drug. Gov. Mary Fallin said she feared the proposal would essentially legalize recreational pot and said if it passed she would likely call on lawmakers to return for a special session to set up a regulatory framework for medicinal pot.

#218 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11828 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

Of course since the war on drugs was created to give Nixon a legal reason to arrest blacks and hippies it is no longer needed because there are no more hippies to speak of and it is now legal for cops to execute blacks on sight.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#219 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

Trump said he's support legalization if Congress passed it. His administration is apparently waging a propaganda war against it.

The White House has tasked a multi-agency committee with countering pro-marijuana messaging, according to a Wednesday report from BuzzFeed News.

The Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee reportedly has asked 14 federal agencies and the Drug Enforcement Administration to forward “data demonstrating the most significant negative trends” about marijuana and the threats it poses to the country.

The information is reportedly intended for briefings with President Trump and to fight a perceived biased narrative about marijuana.

“Staff believe that if the administration is to turn the tide on increasing marijuana use there is an urgent need to message the facts about the negative impacts of marijuana use, production, and trafficking on national health, safety, and security,” according to a meeting summary BuzzFeed obtained.

“The prevailing marijuana narrative in the U.S. is partial, one-sided, and inaccurate,” BuzzFeed reported from the summary of a July 27 meeting between the White House and nine departments. “Departments should provide … the most significant data demonstrating negative trends, with a statement describing the implications of such trends.”

The July 27 meeting was coordinated by White House Office of National Drug Control Policy and included the departments of State, Justice, Homeland Security, and Health and Human Services, according to documents obtained by BuzzFeed.

Despite the committee, Trump has expressed support for bipartisan legislation that would allow states to set their own marijuana policies. His attorney general, Jeff Sessions, however, is a staunch opponent of marijuana legalization.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users