2347 replies to this topic

#2261 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:08 AM

On so many topics, but especially in this thread, I can spot the hand of LFC before I even look at the moniker and avatar. We think alike—nay, commune—on such a deep level! "SAD" . . . . as spake some great American who I can't place at this precise moment.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#2262 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 16 May 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

On so many topics, but especially in this thread, I can spot the hand of LFC before I even look at the moniker and avatar. We think alike—nay, commune—on such a deep level! "SAD" . . . . as spake some great American who I can't place at this precise moment.

I'll take that as a compliment. I don't give a flying fart how you meant it, that's just how I'm going to take it.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2263 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2264 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

#2265 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

And one that is G-Rated.

Posted Image

#2266 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

This just came up at work. Don't ask why. It's a long story and not a very interesting one at that.

Posted Image

#2267 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2268 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#2269 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8200 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

Or the Cat Thread:

https://youtu.be/BZt0qjTWNhw
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2270 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

This is apparently true. They said the computer did it.

The grocery giant Publix is taking heat online for censoring a message on a cake that was meant to celebrate a new graduate’s academic achievement of summa cum laude status. Cara Koscinski ordered the cake online after her son Jacob graduated from his home-school program in Charleston, South Carolina, with a 4.89 grade-point average. Publix apparently edited out “cum”—in this context the Latin word for “with”—since it was deemed too profane on its website’s algorithm.

There's a picture of the cake. Pretty funny.

#2271 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2272 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2273 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:12 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2274 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2275 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2276 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:09 AM

Uh?

#2277 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2278 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8200 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Apparently true but in "Humor" for want of a better alternative.
This is just sweet:

A girl, on learning that her older sister is going to transition to male, asks her mother "So who gets her old clothes?"
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2279 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2280 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

"Dear Sir. I have a piece of black plastic twelve inches in diameter with a hole in the middle. Is this a record?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Google