1927 replies to this topic

#1921 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10123 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#1922 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

View PostAnBr, on 24 September 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

Posted Image

Actually, I was hoping for a Bentley convertible. I was in the Boston Area last Saturday. Hard to tell if anything happened.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#1923 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#1924 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

I'm not a football fan but I found this a amusing.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#1925 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3192 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

Notebale? Does that mean notabule?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#1926 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

LFC, on 25 September 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

I'm not a football fan but I found this a amusing.

Posted Image

Saw a similar meme but with FSU coach Jimbo Fisher in the lower right quadrant with the caption “OwenTwo”.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#1927 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

A little geology humor.

Posted Image

#1928 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3192 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

A like, because I've never really got beyond year-six playground humour, so it does the biz for me.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users