#21 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 08 August 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Superb, but I did do a double-take at first. The world really does need a new type-face called Ironic.

Ask and he shall receive. Or at least download supposedly for free.

http://www.fontspace...onts/ironick-nf

I like the name change to "Ironick" from somebody who publishes as "Nick's Fonts".
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#22 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4159 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostLFC, on 08 August 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Ask and he shall receive. Or at least download supposedly for free.

http://www.fontspace...onts/ironick-nf

I like the name change to "Ironick" from somebody who publishes as "Nick's Fonts".

Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#23 Joanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 08 August 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

I believe your point was to take that out of his control.

yep. He has been shortenning early voting time, shortenning hours, closing voting station, mostly in the minority districts. With every next elections Florida is in the news again, with long lines to cast a vote (7-8 hours in Miami-Dade). not mentionng kicking people from the voting lists. Tea Party heaven...

#24 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Then there are the machinations of Ohio's Secretary of State Jon Husted tinkering around with early voting and limiting voting machines in democratic districts and over supplying them in heavily Repug districts. Repug Ken Blackwell did similar in 2004 at the same time that the then CEO of Diebold (the manufacturer of the voting machines in Ohio at the time) swore he would do whatever it took to make sure that Bush won Ohio.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#25 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8114 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Yesterday, SCOTUS blocked Wisconsin Voter ID law (6-3), and a district court judge in TX rules TX ID law is racially discriminatory and violates the Voting Rights Act. TX AG's office vows to fight the decision.

Safe, for at least this election cycle. I'll be interested to see if the Wendy Davis camp jumps on this and attaches gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbot to a fight to uphold racism. He may be able to distance himself from this, but it is still his current office.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#26 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9101 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I think in the TX case the judge described the law as intentionally discriminatory, which is grounds to put the state back under the preclearence requirement of the voting rights act. I don't think the judge has decided whether or not to do that yet.

#27 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8114 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Texas Voter ID law back "on" From yesterday, regarding 5th Circuit ruling:

Texas should require photo voter identification in this year’s general election, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday, overturning an earlier ruling by a federal district judge in Texas

Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#28 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2730 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

We keep ignoring the simplest solution to this if we had a clean slate to work with, pass an amendment that guarantees the right to vote, defines who can vote, when they can vote, how they can vote, how the votes are counted for all national elections or offices. Then, we pass legislation stating that each and every citizen be issued a tamper proof SS ID card upon birth or in replacement for the current card. This card would become all you need to vote. A red, white and blue card means you are a citizen, a green card means you are a non-citizen. Using this card and an accurate database which you only manage for locating your address, each of us votes anywhere we want for national elections using the internet, the phone system, the polling booth or some other means that is secure and managed by an impartial body made up of experts such as the Bureau of Labor Statistics. If each state wants to adopt this for their own elections, they can. If they don't, then they can use their own system.

Implement this over time, give it 10 years to be implemented. Registration becomes a thing of the past. All you have to do to vote is use your PIN or show this ID and away you go.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#29 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

For some values of "simplest" which involve a 2/3rd majority of congress that can't agree on ANYTHING, but might decide to amend the constitution to do something against the perceived interest of the majority party in the house. And then get it ratified by the states...
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#30 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9531 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

The only amendment needed for Federal elections is the 15th. Read it.

Well, that and a different Supreme Court. One that won't rule that a principle called "equal State sovereignty" takes precedence over the explicit wording of the 15th. But that's going to be easier than passing a new Amendment to do what the 14th was supposed to (and didn't) so we passed the 15th (which didn't) and then the 24th (which now hasn't) were all supposed to do.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#31 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2730 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hence we see that the constitution itself insures that nothing radical happens unless one party controls every branch and then has the nerve to actually change things. Even if we wanted to relax the amendment process, we could not due to the inherent obstacles in place. We only act when we have to act and even then, we take our time.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#32 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostSinan, on 16 October 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

We only act when we have to act and even then, we take our time.

One hundred fifty years and counting, so far.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#33 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13065 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, for all its problems, the old US of A constitooshun still looks like the best game in town (among the big players that is).
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Waddya' know. It looks like if you ask people whether or not they support voter ID laws, the answer may depend upon the picture that goes along with the question. Color me unsurprised.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#35 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_6007612.html

Now RBG is equating these voter ID laws with the poll tax that was found to be unconstitutional 50ish years ago.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#36 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostRabiner, on 18 October 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Now RBG is equating these voter ID laws with the poll tax that was found to be unconstitutional 50ish years ago.

It wasn't found to be unConstitutional, we actually passed an Amendment to make it unConstitutional. Yeah, missed opportunity to dodge the current incarnation of Jim Crow. Make of that what you will.
— Nate Silver

#37 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

Well this is a letdown. Bolding of the judge's gobsmackingly stupid blindness to actual evidence is mine.

A federal judge on Monday upheld a North Carolina law that requires voters to show certain forms of photo identification at the polls, in a key victory for Republicans in a presidential election year who say the law is needed to prevent fraud.

The case tested a central piece of broad voting restrictions passed after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2013 that North Carolina and other states with a history of discrimination no longer needed federal approval for voting law changes affecting minorities.

In siding with Republican Governor Pat McCrory and other state officials in dismissing challenges to the law, U.S. District Judge Thomas Schroeder in Winston-Salem wrote in a 485-page ruling that North Carolina “has provided legitimate state interests for its voter-ID requirement and electoral system.”

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and individual voters backed by the U.S. Justice Department had argued that the law disproportionately burdened African-Americans and Hispanics, who are more likely than whites to lack the acceptable forms of identification.

Oh, yeah. It will shock no one that he was a George W. Bush appointee.

#38 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

After my last post, I stumbled into this piece on how effective voter suppression can really be within and between the slave red states.

Virginia McLaurin, the 107-year-old woman who melted Americans’ hearts when she fulfilled her dream of visiting the White House and meeting President Barack Obama and the First Lady — says she can’t get the government to issue her a photo ID.

According to the Washington Post, the Washington, DC Department of Motor Vehicles refuses to issue McLaurin a photo ID without a birth certificate from her home state of South Carolina. South Carolina, however, refuses to issue her a birth certificate without seeing a photo ID.

“I don’t think I’ll ever get that face card,” she told the Post. “I was birthed by a midwife and the birthday put in a Bible somewhere. I don’t know if they even had birth certificates back then.”

McLaurin lost her ID when her purse was snatched years ago. She said that she meant to replace the missing ID cards and other items, but, “I didn’t want to think about carrying around stuff that people would steal.”

This means that McLaurin — who has been invited to media appearances in Los Angeles and New York City — can’t board a plane anywhere in the United States. Because she is a D.C. resident, however, she can vote.

Were she a resident of 17 states in the country, she would not be able to vote at all thanks to restrictive voter ID laws. Republicans have enacted these laws in multiple states saying that they hope to combat voter fraud. However, these laws disproportionately impact traditionally Democratic constituencies like the elderly, the poor and voters of color to vote.

According to NYU School of Law’s Brennan Center for Justice, 25 percent of black adults have no form of state-issued photo ID, as opposed to only eight percent of white adults. In 2012, the Brennan Center estimated that Republican voter ID laws would keep 5 million eligible U.S. voters from the polls.

Or as George W. Bush once said, "Mission Accomplished!"

#39 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:49 AM

A non like.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

And it looks like Kansas has made a cluster-f*** of their voter registration. (No shock since they are a bad national joke.)

Voting rolls in Kansas are in "chaos" because of the state's proof-of-citizenship requirements, the American Civil Liberties Union has argued in a court document, noting that about two-thirds of new voter registration applications submitted during a three-week period in February are on hold.

Kansas is fending off multiple legal challenges from voting rights activists, and just months before the state's August primary, the status of the "dual registration" system remains unclear. Federal judges in separate voter-registration lawsuits unfolding in Kansas and Washington, D.C., could rule at any time. There's also greater urgency because registrations typically surge during an election year.

Kansas is one of four states, along with Georgia, Alabama and Arizona, to require documentary proof of citizenship — such as a birth certificate, passport or naturalization papers — to register to vote. Under Kansas' challenged system, voters who registered using a federal form, which hadn't required proof of U.S. citizenship, could only vote in federal races and not in state or local races. Kansas says it will keep the dual voting system in place for upcoming elections if the courts allow its residents to register to vote either with a federal form or at motor vehicle offices without providing proof of citizenship.

All this over an issue that they can't even prove exists in any meaningful way. HAH! Just kidding. We know that it's all about voter suppression and nothing to do with secure elections. Hell, multiple Republicans have come out and admitted it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users