57 replies to this topic

#41 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

View Postdrdredel, on 05 August 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

If there was any part of my comment that implied that we're not giving them the benefit of the doubt or failing to be generous enough in our consideration of their "positions" I would like to clarify that I my assessment is actually being made totally straight faced. They are indeed an enigma. I don't understand how they got to where they are.

You don't have to look far back on American History to find hatred and fear of immigrants or calls to venerate the wealthy. Disregard for knowledge and education go back pretty far too. Most of us grew up hearing about the melting pot and the wonders of science, but not everyone bought into that. The joining of Republican pro-wealth and business sector with Southern\working class racism and evengelical Christianity brought all that undercurrent into the open, and gave it a unified power it never had before. So thank the guys who created the "southern strategy" for the GOP, as they set this toxic cauldron bubbling.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#42 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

View Postdrdredel, on 05 August 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

If there was any part of my comment that implied that we're not giving them the benefit of the doubt or failing to be generous enough in our consideration of their "positions" I would like to clarify that I my assessment is actually being made totally straight faced. They are indeed an enigma. I don't understand how they got to where they are.

I think you have to break them into a couple blocks to understand them. First block are the well educated folks who actually believe in the Chicago or Austrian schools of economics. That is what drives this block of conservatives mostly. Sure, they talk about defense and God but they are really focused on economics. These folks are smart, articulate and convinced that their style of economic ideology is best for them and accidentally for everyone else. The second group are folks that are occasional consumers of history, news, politics and economics. This group is dominated by the Christian element with a large portion of them concerned about race. That does not mean they are racists, it only means they see America through racial lenses. This last group used to be Democrats but through sneaky anti-union rhetoric given to them by Ronnie, they started to look at unions as groups that took money from others to line the pockets of do nothing slackers. Same thing with taxes. When you combine Jesus, the preacher they go to on Sunday and race politics, you have a block that is not going to move unless a catastrophe hits. Even then, that will reinforce their bias and make them point fingers just as they did with the Catholics, Irish, Italians, Chinese and so on.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#43 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 05 August 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

So thank the guys who created the "southern strategy" for the GOP, as they set this toxic cauldron bubbling.

Thank Lyndon Johnson. He knew at the time that the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act would have this effect, and said so.

Sure, the Republicans took the bait. Turning down the chance to put together a coalition that would rule the USA for two generations (min, counting)? No political animal with a working brain could possibly have resisted.

Was the bait poisoned? I guess we'll find out.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#44 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Seems to have had a chronic debilitating effect as noted at length. But the Overton window has shifted so far they ought to be gleeful.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#45 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 05 August 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Thank Lyndon Johnson. He knew at the time that the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act would have this effect, and said so.

Sure, the Republicans took the bait. Turning down the chance to put together a coalition that would rule the USA for two generations (min, counting)? No political animal with a working brain could possibly have resisted.

Was the bait poisoned? I guess we'll find out.

So, continue tolerating Jim Crow, with lynching as the enforcement, forever, or what we have now? Hobeson's choice to be sure. Or do we blame Lincoln for picking Andrew Johnson as his VP, thus weakening reconstruction? Not that Lincoln wanted a muscular reconstruction to eradicate the slave holders.

Maybe that takes us to the "original sin" of the founders in permitting slavery in their shiney new republic?
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#46 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 05 August 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

Maybe that takes us to the "original sin" of the founders in permitting slavery in their shiney new republic?

When the alternative was the Articles of Confederation, with each of the Colonies too weak to deal with a resurgent European interest in North America?

Hobson's Choice, indeed. Although to be fair, nobody that I know of complained about the quality of Hobson's horses, just that they took the one offered or none at all.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#47 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Why are conservatives afraid of Neil deGrasse Tyson?

To distill it down to one word, "uppity".
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#48 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

And smart. Although by no means always right.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#49 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8172 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostTraveler, on 05 August 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

And smart. Although by no means always right.

In what sense- science, politics etc ? Just curious. I'm not his daughter or anything...
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#50 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 August 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

To distill it down to one word, "uppity".

That's only part of it, their rejection if "facts" of any sort is really rather color blind, as is the willingness to attack anyone saying things that contradict their preferences. The old saw about being welcome to your own opinion but not your own facts is out of bounds with these people.

Remember also the studies that showed people with firm belief in certain ideas become more entrenched when shown evidence that contradicted them?
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#51 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13768 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

You mean Daniel Patrick Moynihan's quote:

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.

http://en.wikipedia....Moynihan#Quotes
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#52 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 05 August 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

In what sense- science, politics etc ? Just curious. I'm not his daughter or anything...

He is an unabashed GMO supporter for one thing. As discussed at length here, GMO is not entirely a good thing. So not a major beef, but a beef nonetheless. There was another perspective of his that also had me perplexed but I cannot recall it.

#53 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Interesting article about the side effects of GMO, most of which are political IMO.

The concerns are multiple. Roundup-ready crops – soybeans, corn, canola, sugar beets, cotton and alfalfa – have been manipulated to be resistant to glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup.

Some argue that glyphosate poses a risk to human and animal health, a claim that Monsanto and other agribusinesses reject.
In addition to health risks, environmental damage to soil, water and bee colonies – which are dwindling fast – have been attributed glyphosate use, threatening food and water security across the globe.
Glyphosate risk is bullshit from what I gather. Its less toxic than table salt. The effect of bee colonies is likely due to nicotinamides, not glyphosate

GM crops could devastate the important European export market for Mexican beekeepers, where the sale of honey containing pollen derived from GM crops has been restricted since a landmark decision in 2011 by the European court of justice.

The ruling barred honey derived from a GM crop unapproved for human consumption – which includes some soy and other animal feeds – from sale in the EU. Honey with more than 0.9% of GM pollen (from an approved GM food) must be labelled as containing GM ingredients and cannot be marketed as an organic product. Some countries, including Germany, reject honey that contains any GM pollen.
Even more hysteria, especially since honey is nothing but bee puke. Like its gonna have some sort of insidious effect on folks. This is of course what Neil is talking about.

Shame, because its an important issue, yet the hard science is totally ignored.

#54 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostTraveler, on 08 August 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Shame, because its an important issue, yet the hard science is totally ignored.

C'mon. That never happens. After all, look at climate, evolution, vaccines, ... Uh, never mind.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#55 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostTraveler, on 08 August 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Glyphosate risk is bullshit from what I gather. Its less toxic than table salt. The effect of bee colonies is likely due to nicotinamides, not glyphosate
A lot of respectable people believe that monoculture is a factor in colony collapse and RR products are a big part of that trend.
Glyphosate is certainly more toxic than table salt, but as far as agricultural chemicals go it is extremely safe but there is still conflicting evidence regarding how carcinogenic it is. A regulatory problem with it is that non-active ingredient (adjuvants) interactions need not be well-studied before approval for use.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#56 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostJ-CA, on 08 August 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

A lot of respectable people believe that monoculture is a factor in colony collapse and RR products are a big part of that trend.
Glyphosate is certainly more toxic than table salt, but as far as agricultural chemicals go it is extremely safe but there is still conflicting evidence regarding how carcinogenic it is. A regulatory problem with it is that non-active ingredient (adjuvants) interactions need not be well-studied before approval for use.
Well I cannot disagree with most of your points, but back when I was in the restoration field 20 years ago, the literature showed the LC50 was ~5000mg/kg, which is apparently similar to table salt. I am sure that knowledge base has evolved but haven't read recent MDSS. The surfactant adjuvants are definitely far worse, which is you need Rodeo ™ around waterbodies.

I agree its a landscape/IPM issue, not toxicity per se. Which is why I found the EU's hysteria so overblown, and nothing but naked protectionism.

#57 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

I think we probably are mostly in a agreement on all points.

I may be mistaken but LC50 doesn't tell you much about how likely you are to die of cancer 5 years later.

As long as consumers are concerned about GMOs protectionism with respect to them is justified because it is a marketing issue with potential economic impacts, whether consumer concerns are well-founded is a separate issue to my mind.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#58 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

True dat. All of it. There are some pretty interesting findings on the cancer issues. Don't look so innocuous after all....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users