Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 02 March 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Note that I restricted it to "fresh water."

That's what I was thinking of because Limerick Nuclear Power Plant isn't too far from my home, TMI is less than two hours away, I've seen plenty of non-nuclear plants built on large rivers in other places as well. I also remember the massive gull numbers in Ohio in winter because of the warm water attracting millions of gizzard shad that the gulls came to feed on. (How's that for tying my love of birding to an esoteric little piece of data about heated process water.)

Are there a lot of power plants using salt water? I thought the corrosiveness would bring up a whole host of problems though maybe they've figured out how to deal with them.

Interesting stuff on the evaporative cooling used by power plants in hot climates. Less water and more heat makes everything tougher. I wonder if the pipelines delivering it had been buried if the water waste would be lower.

I did a little digging and found this. When I saw the category of "irrigation" my first thought was ag but they mention other uses like lawns and (puke) golf courses ... like Trump's Bedford, NJ course that keeps taking more water than they're allowed but nothing ever seems to happen to stop it and fine them. They do mention that the "consumptive" (the word I was searching for) percentage of water use by power plants is pretty small. Bold is mine.

• In 2015, total U.S. water use was approximately 322 billion gallons per day (Bgal/d), 87% of which was freshwater. Thermoelectric power (133 Bgal/d) and irrigation (118 Bgal/d) accounted for the largest withdrawals. Water for thermoelectric power is used to cool the steam that drives electric generators. Though 41% of daily water use is for power generation, only 3% of these withdrawals are consumptive. Irrigation includes water applied to agricultural crops along with the water used for landscaping, golf courses, parks, etc.
  • In 2015, California and Texas accounted for 16% of U.S. water withdrawals. These states along with Idaho, Florida, Arkansas, New York, Illinois, Colorado, North Carolina, Michigan, Montana, and Nebraska account for more than 50% of U.S. withdrawls. Florida, New York and Maryland accounted for 1/2 of saline water withdrawals.

So my guess is that if we're talking about consumptive use of water we can see that power uses very little and perhaps even a part of that is saline. That makes me think that agriculture is the single highest consumptive use of fresh water but again I'm not sure.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2442 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15397 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 02 March 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

Not counting the current inter-state squabbles (FL/AL/GA; CO & points south & west)?

Actual shooting wars over H2O may well be within our children's lifetimes; I'm not so sure about within ours.

Don't forget that the Syrian civil war was in large part precipitated by sustained drought that made their agricultural system collapse and Assad being able to to little about it.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2443 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

Go Virginia! Looks like the state Dems have learned the lesson Republicans decided to teach and are balls to the wall in implementing their agenda. I'm sure the Republicans are screeching and whining but they're the ones who created the rules of engagement. You can't completely ignore the minority party and then reasonably expect to be treated differently but then when were Republicans reasonable in the past few decades?

Over the last decade or so, Virginia has gradually transitioned from a purple to blue state. Now it will embark on another transition, from fossil fuels to clean, carbon-free electricity.

After voting for Republican presidents going back to Richard Nixon in 1972, Virginians began consistently voting for Democrats for president in 2008. And they have a long tradition of Democratic governors, the latest being pediatric neurologist and Army veteran Ralph Northam, elected in 2017.

In September of 2019, Northam tried to do what Democrats generally do when elected: support clean energy. He issued Executive Order 43, which laid out a plan for the state to reach 100 percent carbon-free electricity by 2050 (in keeping with the consensus goal of national Democrats) and to join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI, a nine-state carbon trading network).

But in the wake of the 2017 elections, the GOP still held narrow majorities in both houses of the Virginia General Assembly (the oldest continuous legislative body in the nation), so Northam’s plan went nowhere. In the state budget, the Republican legislature even took the time to specifically prohibit Virginia from joining RGGI.

In the 2019 election, Virginia voters finally figured out the one weird trick that allows any jurisdiction to pass good climate and clean energy legislation: They put Democrats in charge, with a 21-19 majority in the Senate and a whopping 55-45 majority in the House.

Sure enough, last week, the General Assembly passed the Virginia Clean Economy Act (VCEA), which puts Northam’s vision into law. The House voted 51-45 and the Senate voted 22-17; in each chamber, the bill received precisely one Republican vote.

Virginia has now become the first state in the South to embark on a clean-energy transition and one of the leading states in the nation on clean-energy policy. Let’s take a quick look at what the bill does.

If I may quote from my signature:

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2444 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:49 PM

The future is not looking good for coastal cities in America.

Coastal cities in the United States could experience “once in a lifetime” extreme flood events almost daily by the end of the century if sea levels continue to rise at current rates, new research showed on Thursday.

Emissions from burning fossil fuels have already warmed Earth more than one degree Celsius above pre-industrial times, melting polar ice sheets and boosting global sea levels.

With oceans predicted to rise by one to two meters by 2100, researchers in the US looked at the frequency of extreme water levels measured by 202 tide gauges along the US coastline.

They combined this data with various modeled pathways of sea-level rise to predict the rate at which flooding events may increase in future.

The results were stark: at nearly three-quarters of the gauge locations the difference between average high tide and a once-in-50-years flooding event was less than a metre.

Most temperature scenarios predict sea-level rises higher than that.

The team also found that the risk of extreme flood events will double every five years on average as seas get ever higher.

#2445 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

It turns out that solar energy is even more competitive when you take away the polluting impacts of fossil fuels.

The reduction in driving, flying, and industrial activity due to the COVID-19 pandemic has cleared the air in typically smog-choked cities all over the world, inspiring awe in residents who are seeing more blue skies and starry nights than ever before. While the drop in pollution doesn’t necessarily mean we’re making progress in mitigating climate change, it’s now proving to be a boon for solar energy generation.

Pollution blocks solar radiation, and the fine particles spat out during combustion can settle on the surface of solar panels, reducing their efficiency. Smog-free skies, along with a lucky combination of sunny days and cooler temperatures, which boost panel efficiency, have helped solar panels break records in the U.K., Germany, and Spain this spring. The trend points to the potential for a positive (and hopeful) feedback loop — as polluting energy sources are replaced by solar panels, those solar panels will be able to generate more energy.

In Germany, a record that was set in March was broken again on April 20, when solar generated 40 percent of the country’s electricity, while coal and nuclear power generated just 22 percent. It’s actually not unusual to see solar generation records this time of year, when new panels installed in the winter get their first time to shine in the spring weather. While the added capacity explains some of solar’s grid takeover, the drop in electricity demand right now due to the pandemic has also inflated its proportion in the total mix.

In the U.K., record solar power generation also helped coal plants set a major record, but the opposite kind. The entire U.K. energy system ran with zero coal-fired power plant generation for more than 18 days, the longest streak in more than a century. Britain has just four remaining coal plants, all of which are scheduled to close by 2025.

#2446 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

The scientists predicted it was coming. Now it's here.

The scientists who study how diseases emerge in a changing environment knew this moment was coming. Climate change is making outbreaks of disease more common and more dangerous.

Over the past few decades, the number of emerging infectious diseases that spread to people — especially coronaviruses and other respiratory illnesses believed to have come from bats and birds — has skyrocketed. A new emerging disease surfaces five times a year. One study estimates that more than 3,200 strains of coronaviruses already exist among bats, awaiting an opportunity to jump to people.

The diseases may have always been there, buried deep in wild and remote places out of reach of people. But until now, the planet’s natural defense systems were better at fighting them off.

Today, climate warming is demolishing those defense systems, driving a catastrophic loss in biodiversity that, when coupled with reckless deforestation and aggressive conversion of wildland for economic development, pushes farms and people closer to the wild and opens the gates for the spread of disease.

Aaron Bernstein, the interim director for the C-Change Center for Climate, Health and the Global Environment at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, said that ignoring how climate and rapid land development were putting disease-carrying animals in a squeeze was akin to playing Russian roulette.

“Nature is trying to tell us something,” Bernstein said.

Scientists have not suggested that climate played any direct role in causing the current COVID-19 outbreak. Though the virus is believed to have originated with the horseshoe bat, part of a genus that’s been roaming the forests of the planet for 40 million years and thrives in the remote jungles of south China, even that remains uncertain.

Scientists have, however, been studying the coronaviruses of southern China for years and warning that swift climate and environmental change there — in both loss of biodiversity and encroachment by civilization — was going to help new viruses jump to people.

#2447 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:16 PM

Scientists have, however, been studying the coronaviruses of southern China for years and warning that swift climate and environmental change there — in both loss of biodiversity and encroachment by civilization — was going to help new viruses jump to people.

And eating bats, don't forget to not eat bats.
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#2448 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 07 May 2020 - 03:16 PM, said:

And eating bats, don't forget to not eat bats.

Posted Image

#2449 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

A paranoid, nonsensical freakout that Joe Biden might want to use the shutting down of the economy as a response to COVID-19 as a template for screeching the entire economy to a halt to implement the Green New Deal. The twisted thought processes of these people just makes me blink slowly. Here's a snippet of the overreach. Bold is mine.

Greta Thurnberg told us to behave as though our house was on fire, to be enraged, to freak out. But this coronavirus crisis is what freaking out looks like, and it turns out that not only is climate change not a “house on fire” scenario, but that behaving as though your house is on fire leaves a vibrant economy in free fall and 27 million people unemployed through no fault of their own.

Biden went on to say that “I think that we have an opportunity… to turn the changing, the climate, generating a fundamentally green infrastructure and turning it around in a way that can be the very thing that helps us get through this existential threat to our economy.”

Biden is here in line with Secretary General of the UN António Guterres, who believes that the recovery from the coronavirus “is an opportunity to build more sustainable and inclusive economies and societies.” Guterres is also on board with spending trillions on a “green transition,” not bailing out industries that rely on fossil fuels, urging investors to invest altruistically, and to “work together as an international community.”

Climate change activists like Greta Thurnberg, Extinction Rebellion, and the more moderate environmental reactionaries like Al Gore, have long been saying that the global economies need to stop in their tracks, regroup, and move in a different, more sustainable direction. Biden and Inslee say that we can use this crisis as something of a model in itself as to how we can be “bold” and “decisive” with climate change action.

No doubt some of those climate change activists who wanted us to freak out are watching the reversal of the industrial impacts on the environment with glee. But as they mark the reduction of carbon dioxide and emissions as a necessary correction or reckoning, we need to be aware of the human cost. We need to care for the planet, but not at the cost of human industry and progress.

“I think we can become a net exporter of the climate change technology,” Biden said. “I think we can become the leader in the world in electric vehicles, I think we can become the leader in the world in wind and energy in a new transmission capacity across the United States.”

Biden’s plans for a new energy economy flies in the face of reason when the U.S. has its oil reserves full to brimming over, and will need to create jobs that take advantage of our existing strengths, not ones that will enhance our already ballooning deficit.

#2450 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

Here comes Arthur?

The Atlantic hurricane season doesn’t officially start until June 1, but the National Hurricane Center is tracking a disturbance off the East Coast that could become a named storm this weekend.

If the storm forms, earning the name Arthur, it will mark the sixth year this has happened before hurricane season.

The weather system might be a harbinger of an active Atlantic hurricane season. Preseason forecasts are almost all predicting a substantially busier-than-normal season, with one forecast out of Pennsylvania State University calling for one of the stormiest seasons on record.

#2451 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:50 AM

Purple sea urchins on the West Coast are yet another impact of global warming. They are mowing down kelp forests, an absolutely critical Pacific Ocean habitat. The author suggests eating them is a possible answer.

Massive environmental crises usually come with ­heartbreaking images of mountainous trash heaps, blackened factory smokestacks, and leaky, corroded barrels of toxic waste. But one of the biggest environmental threats these briny, idyllic waters has ever faced stems from something vibrantly purple-colored, pleasantly symmetrical, and stunningly delicious: urchins.

Members of a healthy, balanced community of urchins live fairly solitary lives. They burrow into crevices and dine on a varied diet of whatever scraps of decaying algae, animals, and plants the tide impales on their spines. When an urchin population explodes, however, as is likely to happen whenever climate change or other human-catalyzed chaos disrupts the local food chain, a distorted hive mind takes over. They congregate in subtidal hordes, actively consuming everything in their path, including the holdfast tissue that anchors kelp to rocks. Even after obliterating an entire kelp forest, urchins won’t eat themselves to extinction—they just switch back to munching on the tidal drift. A single one can also live for 70 years.

According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, over the past few years, about 90 percent of all coastal kelp from San Francisco to Oregon has been mowed down by a purple sea urchin population that is 6,000 percent larger than historic averages. This is, of course, at least partially our fault. Human-generated climate change is real, and warming ocean temperatures struck its first ecosystem-wide blow by weakening and thinning established kelp beds, which thrive on the rich nutrients available in cold, deep water. Add to that a brutal one-two punch of toxic red-tide algae and a sea-star-killing virus, and the urchins’ most effective natural predators have been effectively removed from the equation. Thriving kelp forests help anchor the bottom of the West Coast food chain by providing abundant sustenance and shelter to dozens of species. The barrens left in the urchins’ wake are bald, scarred ghost towns. The entire ecosystem is unmoored.

With the kelp gone, anything that tries to compete with the urchins for food is in serious trouble. Wild-caught abalone, which depend on kelp as a mainstay of their diet, are already off the menu—the CDFW closed recreational abalone fishing indefinitely in 2017 after the population plummeted due to starvation. Virtually all other nearshore West Coast fish and shellfish species that don’t directly feed on kelp but rely on kelp for shelter (or feed on those that do) are next in line. When the organisms that depend on kelp are knocked out, it will light a fire that blazes straight up the food chain.

The situation seems bleak, but there is still hope for recovery. According to an article posted on the CDFW website, “The urchin barren conditions may persist until the presence of sufficient predators, disease, or storms reduce the exploding urchin population.” As the most effective predators the world has ever seen, we could be a part of the solution.

Hungry humans have successfully helped with this kind of problem before. Commercial urchin fisheries in the 1980s reversed several urchin barrens that had existed for decades, since we hunted sea otters—another urchin predator—nearly to extinction in the late 19th century. Apart from a couple of years in the early ’90s, when we sold nearly 700,000 pounds of purple urchins to chefs in Japan, commercial fisheries in the U.S. have historically focused on red urchins.

#2452 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

Six years in a row of "natural variation."

The Atlantic hurricane season officially begins two weeks from now, on June 1, and runs through November 30. Historically, it is not all that unusual for a tropical or subtropical storm to form before June 1 and become named after reaching sustained winds of 40mph. This happens, on average, about every two to three years.

However, this is now the sixth year in a row that a named storm has developed prior to the June 1 date. And according to data compiled by University of Miami hurricane scientist Brian McNoldy, the average date of the first named storm is steadily moving earlier. In 1970, it typically came in early July, but now the average date of the first storm is about one month earlier. There has been some discussion in the hurricane community about moving the start of the Atlantic season up to May 15 to match the beginning of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season.

The reasons for the earlier date appear to be two-fold. Hurricane scientists now have more access to satellite and other observational data over the Atlantic Ocean and so are more inclined to find and name storms. Another significant factor is the warming of sea surface temperatures in recent decades due to climate change, allowing for earlier development.

#2453 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:13 PM

For f***'s sake, even the Arctic is burning.

Dormant “zombie fires” scattered across the Arctic region — remnants of record blazes last year — may be coming to life after an unusually warm and dry Spring, scientists warned Wednesday.

“We have seen satellite observations of active fires that hint that ‘zombie’ fires might have reignited,” said Mark Parrington, a senior scientist and wildfire expert at the European Union’s Copernicus Atmospheric Monitoring Service.

The hotspots, which have yet to be confirmed by ground measurements, are particularly concentrated in areas that burned last summer.
Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.

The year 2019 was marked by fires unprecedented in scale and duration across large swathes of Siberia and Alaska.

In June — the hottest on record, going back 150 years — the blazes are estimated to have released 50 million tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere, equivalent to Sweden’s annual emissions.

“We may see a cumulative effect of last year’s fire season in the Arctic which will feed into the upcoming season, and could lead to large-scale and long-term fires across the same region once again,” Parrington said.

The risk of wildfires increases with hot weather and low humidity, and Europe in particular has seen record temperatures for March and April this year.

“There has been tremendous warmth in the Arctic that will have led to a lot of drying, making the peat soils ripe to burn,” Mike Waddington, an expert on watershed ecosystems at McMaster University in Canada, told AFP.

“A zombie fire is a fire that continues to burn underground and then reignites on the surface after a period of time,” Waddington explained.

Embers deep in organic soils such as peat lands can spark into flames weeks, months and even years later.

Scientists monitoring Alaska have seen a similar phenomenon.

“Fire managers noted increasing occurrences where fires survive the cold and wet boreal winter months by smoldering, and re-emerged in the subsequent spring,” the Alaska Fire Science Consortium, grouping four universities and research institutes, reported in their Spring 2020 newsletter.

#2454 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5261 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:37 AM

View PostLFC, on 27 May 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

For f***'s sake, even the Arctic is burning.

Expect spiny cactuses thriving in Alaska ten years from now. Such a shame there will be no human beings to observe them!
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#2455 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11991 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 28 May 2020 - 06:37 AM, said:

Expect spiny cactuses thriving in Alaska ten years from now. Such a shame there will be no human beings to observe them!

Actually, prickly pear manages to live in places you'd never believe. I don't think it would be competitive in Rich's neighbourhood, but it would survive there. I found some growing on what passes for a mountain in Alabama and it's been found in Idaho and Alaska, too.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2456 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3019 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image

#2457 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:48 AM

Our infrastructure was built long ago with certain assumptions about the climate and environment for the areas where it was located. As those assumptions are falling apart so is our infrastructure. We're just not prepared for the climate we're building. Bold is mine.

Consider it the proverbial “double whammy” – a climate change-induced disaster during a pandemic.

That’s what happened on May 19 about 140 miles north of Detroit, when the 96-year-old Edenville Dam on Wixom Lake broke, draining the lake and flooding torrents into nearby Midland amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

The combination of more frequent and more severe extreme events with aging infrastructure vulnerable to damages from climate change amounts to that “double whammy” … and leads to double jeopardy.

“You take, say, a 150-year event, and it suddenly becomes a 50-year event, and that’s sort of what’s happening in many places,” says MIT scientist Kerry Emanuel in this month’s “This is Not Cool” original video by Midland resident Peter Sinclair.

Scientist Jennifer Francis of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution points to the atmosphere’s now holding 7% more moisture than it did just five decades ago. That water vapor, or moisture, one result of a warming climate, amounts to latent energy, she says. “So when it does rain, it rains harder.” She points to a “big uptick” in heavy precipitation events in the eastern half of the U.S. “very directly related to climate change.”

Combined with the impacts of clearing away more natural vegetation for development – and often replacing it with impervious surfaces such as streets or parking lots – the impacts mount as heavy precipitation events occur more frequently.

#2458 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11991 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:04 PM

View PostLFC, on 21 June 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

Our infrastructure was built long ago with certain assumptions

Including the assumption that the builders' descendants [1] would maintain what they build. Which worked up until cutting taxes became the new national religion.

[1] That means us
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2459 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7197 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 21 June 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

Including the assumption that the builders' descendants [1] would maintain what they build. Which worked up until cutting taxes became the new national religion.

[1] That means us

This reminds me of anti vaxxers who have no memory of a time when disease damaged and killed so many. The anti-taxers don't remember a time when there was no massive water project to protect against floods or to provide water; a time when there was no easy to drive freeway; a time when there was no public water treatment. They assume it will always be there to be abused and complained about.

#2460 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37075 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:15 PM

A Siberian town north of the Arctic Circle just clocked a record high temperature of 100.4 degrees F. Nothing to see here. Just natural fluctuations.

Siberia — the land of black snow, blood rain and spontaneous solar eclipses — may have just set a dire new climate record. On Saturday (June 20), temperatures in the far-north town of Verkhoyansk broke 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) for the first time, according to news reports.

If verified, that makes Saturday's high the hottest-ever temperature documented above the Arctic Circle, The Washington Post reported.

Verkhoyansk is a town of some 1,300 residents in the Siberian Arctic, about 3,000 miles (4,800 kilometers) east of Moscow. The town has one of the most extreme temperature ranges on Earth, with winter lows hitting an average of minus 56 F (minus 49 C) and a previous all-time summer high of 98.96 F (37.2 C), according to Brittanica.com. On Saturday, several weather stations reported a new high of 100.4 F — the town's all-time hottest temperature since record keeping began in 1885. On Sunday, June 21, the town also reported a high of 95.3 (35.2 C), showing the previous day's heat was not a blip.

That sweltering new high (which is still being verified) arrives on the heels of Siberia's hottest May on record, with average temperatures soaring roughly 18 F (10 C) higher than the May average from 1979 to 2019, according to a special report from the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service.

This summer's high Arctic temperatures have already affected the region. Wildfires are running rampant, with 31 fires currently burning through 885,800 acres (358,472 hectares) of forest in the Sakha Republic (the region that includes Verkhoyansk), Russia's Federal Forest Agency reported today (June 21). Recently, Russian officials blamed an oil spill that leaked about 20,000 tons of diesel into a river in the Siberian Arctic on melting permafrost that allegedly caused the ground to sink below several oil tanks.

While remarkable, the news out of Siberia is also depressingly predictable. For years, average temperatures in the Arctic have been rising at a far faster rate than anywhere else in the world, largely due to melting sea ice induced by man-made global warming.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users