Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32831 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

D. C. Sessions, on 02 March 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Note that I restricted it to "fresh water."

That's what I was thinking of because Limerick Nuclear Power Plant isn't too far from my home, TMI is less than two hours away, I've seen plenty of non-nuclear plants built on large rivers in other places as well. I also remember the massive gull numbers in Ohio in winter because of the warm water attracting millions of gizzard shad that the gulls came to feed on. (How's that for tying my love of birding to an esoteric little piece of data about heated process water.)

Are there a lot of power plants using salt water? I thought the corrosiveness would bring up a whole host of problems though maybe they've figured out how to deal with them.

Interesting stuff on the evaporative cooling used by power plants in hot climates. Less water and more heat makes everything tougher. I wonder if the pipelines delivering it had been buried if the water waste would be lower.

I did a little digging and found this. When I saw the category of "irrigation" my first thought was ag but they mention other uses like lawns and (puke) golf courses ... like Trump's Bedford, NJ course that keeps taking more water than they're allowed but nothing ever seems to happen to stop it and fine them. They do mention that the "consumptive" (the word I was searching for) percentage of water use by power plants is pretty small. Bold is mine.

• In 2015, total U.S. water use was approximately 322 billion gallons per day (Bgal/d), 87% of which was freshwater. Thermoelectric power (133 Bgal/d) and irrigation (118 Bgal/d) accounted for the largest withdrawals. Water for thermoelectric power is used to cool the steam that drives electric generators. Though 41% of daily water use is for power generation, only 3% of these withdrawals are consumptive. Irrigation includes water applied to agricultural crops along with the water used for landscaping, golf courses, parks, etc.
  • In 2015, California and Texas accounted for 16% of U.S. water withdrawals. These states along with Idaho, Florida, Arkansas, New York, Illinois, Colorado, North Carolina, Michigan, Montana, and Nebraska account for more than 50% of U.S. withdrawls. Florida, New York and Maryland accounted for 1/2 of saline water withdrawals.

So my guess is that if we're talking about consumptive use of water we can see that power uses very little and perhaps even a part of that is saline. That makes me think that agriculture is the single highest consumptive use of fresh water but again I'm not sure.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2442 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14354 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

Bact PhD, on 02 March 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

Not counting the current inter-state squabbles (FL/AL/GA; CO & points south & west)?

Actual shooting wars over H2O may well be within our children's lifetimes; I'm not so sure about within ours.

Don't forget that the Syrian civil war was in large part precipitated by sustained drought that made their agricultural system collapse and Assad being able to to little about it.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users