#2301 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 14 November 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

Does this mean all of Florida will be submerged, not just the lower half?

The US is less implicated in this change than many other countries, but yes, it won't just be southern Florida. Here is a Forbes article concentrating on impact in the US, with maps:

Shocking New Maps Show How Sea Level Rise Will Destroy Coastal Cities By 2050

#2302 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:02 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 14 November 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

All they need to do is send a nice note to President Trump for financial aid. I'm sure he'd be willing to help, ...especially if they have any dirt on the Bidens.
Sounds like that dome would be an appropriate siting for a new Trump Tower and Tropical Golf Resort. Those atolls would be fine places for a new course. They already have their own natural sand and water traps. And if you lose your ball in the rough, the groundskeepers can find them after dark, when they start to glow from the radiation.

The gamma rays from plutonium day should keep down the bedbugs.

Dumpster can fly there for golf weekends all he wants, and 72% of Americans will want to encourage him.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#2303 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

And people wonder why Nevada won't take all that nuclear waste. Surely they can trust the United States government.

#2304 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 14 November 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

The US is less implicated in this change than many other countries, but yes, it won't just be southern Florida. Here is a Forbes article concentrating on impact in the US, with maps:

Shocking New Maps Show How Sea Level Rise Will Destroy Coastal Cities By 2050

One locale shown on the map but not named in the article, Cedar Key, already struggles under unusually heavy rainfalls, whether from a tropical system or not. Although the Big Boy developers never made it up there (it’s still a quirky fishing village), there will still be significant loss of value once the island becomes uninhabitable.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#2305 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 14 November 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

Does this mean all of Florida will be submerged, not just the lower half?

Only the Democrat-infested parts.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2306 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

Venice isn't the only part of Italy taking a beating due to extreme weather.

It has been one week since historic floods caused more than a billion dollars worth of damage in Venice, and the skies are not exactly clearing. All across the country, extreme weather has flooded rivers, downed trees, caused mudslides, and wreaked collective havoc. And according to a new report called “The Climate Has Already Changed” released Tuesday by Italy’s environmental watchdog group Legambiente, this is just the beginning.

The report paints a grim picture of how climate change is impacting the Italian peninsula, which is geographically doomed thanks to rising seas on three sides. The authors list 40 coastal cities at risk, including Venice, Trieste, Ravenna, Pescara, La Spezia, Cagliari, Oristano, and Trapani, that could face widespread evacuations of its citizens by 2050.

But the report also says that recent and predicted weather between now and the end of the year is likely to have major economic and logistic impact on Rome, Milan, Genoa, Naples, Palermo, Catania, Bari, Reggio Calabria, and Turin.

If the last week is any sign, there isn’t much room for optimism. Among the many weather related disasters in the last seven days are multiple mudslides in the north of the country, including one that caused the derailment of a train. No one was injured, but the mud also caused the closure of several highways, isolating the Pusteria Valley near the Austrian border and temporarily closing the Brenner Pass.

The piece goes on to note weather related problems in multiple areas Tuscany including Florence as well as multiple other areas around the country including Rome.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2307 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13749 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

We’ll be measuring sea level rise in feet, not inches
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2308 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:23 AM

View PostAnBr, on 20 November 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

You can do that now, if you like. 1 inch = 0.083 feet, as near as dammit. But why can't the USA move into the 21st century[1] and use millimetres? Everywhere else in the world uses these efficient SI Units.

[1] For that matter, why can't the UK? (Don't answer that, we know already).
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#2309 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 21 November 2019 - 02:23 AM, said:

You can do that now, if you like. 1 inch = 0.083 feet, as near as dammit. But why can't the USA move into the 21st century[1] and use millimetres?

Because measuring sea level rise in the thousands of mm is too much of a pain.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2310 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:57 AM

You can do that now, if you like. 1 inch = 0.083 feet, as near as dammit. But why can't the USA move into the 21st century[1] and use millimetres? Everywhere else in the world uses these efficient SI Units.

Stubbornness and stubbornness.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#2311 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

"Stubbornness and stubbornness." aka 'American Exceptionalism' aka... we're just better than everyone else.

.....................................................................................

https://qz.com/17527...ic-waste-sites/

Climate change threatens 945 US toxic waste sites with flood and fire

You really, really don’t want a toxic waste site to flood. But 60% of the waste sites designated the most hazardous in the US, known as “Superfund” sites, are threatened by rising sea levels, flooding, storm surge, and wildfires made more destructive and frequent by climate change, according to a report released Monday (Nov 18) by the US Government Accountability Office (GAO).

That’s 945 toxic waste sites in the crosshairs. And right now, the US environment agency doesn’t prioritize the threat of climate change in management plans for its Superfund sites—whether indirectly through lack of resources, or directly, through lack of any clear guidance on climate change, according to the report.

"according to a report released Monday (Nov 18) by the US Government Accountability Office (GAO)."

How did Trump miss eliminating this?
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#2312 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13365 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

As one well versed in both measurements, I much prefer metric for scientific work. As a matter of fact, it is the only method for that. But when it comes to engineering, there are a host of hassles. For starters, meters are too big. You cannot grade a site in whole meters, it has to be done in half or quarter meter contours to be useful. Then there are issues in drawing scales. Details are done in mm, site plans in meters. So when the landscape architect does his thing in mm, I have to constantly scale their drawings to fit in my site plans. This introduces issues with linetype scale, so the dashes are dashes and not dots. Not huge issues, but a pain in the ass none the less.

Units are important.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#2313 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostTraveler, on 21 November 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Units are important.

Tell me! Try doing electromagnetics in US (not English, not Imperial) measure. Or for that matter anything involving heat and work (How many foot-pounds to a BTU, anyway? And how does that compare to a kilowatt-hour?)

Fortunately, by the '80s the semiconductor industry had switched entirely to SI. Entirely, that is, except for the upper management who insisted on having everything converted to mils. Whenever the process gang wanted to talk about gate thickness in Angstroms, I forgave them because although everything else was in nm it's only a factor of ten difference.
— Nate Silver

#2314 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13749 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

But why can't the USA move into the 21st century[1] and use millimetres? Everywhere else in the world uses these efficient SI Units.

We were in the process of conversion starting in the late '70s, then Reagan and the Republican revolution happened. That was followed by the rise of religionists and disdain of science.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#2315 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

The funny thing is, we have converted. An "inch" is precisely 2.54 cm, neither more nor less. Etc. For all of the moaning about the horrible cost of converting to metrics, US manufacturing uses at least half hard-metric tools because the rest of the world charge quite a bit more to humour us in our quaint tribal ways.

It's just that we have to pretend to be all Imperial American Exceptional for the general public in Red States. If tomorrow California were to change all the street signs there'd be some grumbling about "Mexicans" in Bakersfield but most of the State would hit a couple of buttons on their dash instrument controls and happily switch over to kph and km and Celsius until they had to cross to Arizona or Nevada -- and then they'd complain.
— Nate Silver

#2316 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13749 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 21 November 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

The funny thing is, we have converted. An "inch" is precisely 2.54 cm, neither more nor less. Etc. For all of the moaning about the horrible cost of converting to metrics, US manufacturing uses at least half hard-metric tools because the rest of the world charge quite a bit more to humor us in our quaint tribal ways.

True. When was the last time that you bought a fifth of whiskey?

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2317 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

View PostAnBr, on 21 November 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

We were in the process of conversion starting in the late '70s, then Reagan and the Republican revolution happened. That was followed by the rise of religionists and disdain of science.

We even had both measurements on the interstate highways, at least in my area. We were already converting. What happened? 'Murica, f***ing up the productive America since ... well, since 1776 at least.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2318 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 21 November 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

Because measuring sea level rise in the thousands of mm is too much of a pain.
Sea level rise due to global heating: not at all. Sea level: possibly, but I disagree.

This line of thought occurred to me reading articles about railways in which different track gauges were compared. The gauges were given in both imperial and metric: for example 4' 8½" and 1435 mm. The size of a millimetre is immaterial here; if you think it's too small you could write 1.435 m or (not in SI units but commonly accepted) 14.35 cm.

Also 5½ miles is about 8.9 km, but writing it as 8900 m is fine by me[1]. The SI units of length are all (positive or negative) powers of 103 metres so a reasonably-sized one is always available. I admit that 890 000 mm is silly.

[1] Or 8851 mm almost exactly.

#2319 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

View PostTraveler, on 21 November 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

As one well versed in both measurements, I much prefer metric for scientific work. As a matter of fact, it is the only method for that. But when it comes to engineering, there are a host of hassles. For starters, meters are too big. You cannot grade a site in whole meters, it has to be done in half or quarter meter contours to be useful. Then there are issues in drawing scales. Details are done in mm, site plans in meters. So when the landscape architect does his thing in mm, I have to constantly scale their drawings to fit in my site plans. This introduces issues with linetype scale, so the dashes are dashes and not dots. Not huge issues, but a pain in the ass none the less.

Units are important.

Not IMO a good example of the problems. You just move the decimal point three places; it's not like converting between feet and inches. And surely converting dots to dashes and back is a separate niggle? But I may have missed the point[1] here.

[1] Pun not intended, but appropriate.

#2320 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 21 November 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

And surely converting dots to dashes and back is a separate niggle?

Racist.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users