2210 replies to this topic

#2101 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5714 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

Think of all that lovely oil spilling all over the place. What money will be lost because of it? Do the oil companies and the Administration not think about that?

#2102 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

16-year old Greta Thunberg from Sweden made quite a splash as being both very young and very articulate on the issues of climate change, inspiring some rather large protests in Europe. It's even more amazing since she has Asbergers. The commentary from the right is about what you'd expect in that it's vapid, cruel, and does nothing to address the actual points she makes. Here's one that makes fun of her speech being too monotone.

First off the mark was notable pie and "controvert" Brendan O'Neill. He chose to attack her on the grounds of how she, a 16-year-old girl with Aspergers talking on national television in her second language, delivered her accurate information in too much of a monotone for his tastes.

spiked
@spikedonline
“There is something chilling about Greta Thunberg. Her monotone voice. Her warnings of hellfire. Her cult-like claim that the End of Days is coming. She is proof that the millenarian green movement is messing up the next generation”, says Brendan O’Neillhttps://www.spiked-online.com/2019/04/22/the-cult-of-greta-thunberg/ …

I love this reply.

Ben Stanley
@BDStanley
She has Asperger syndrome and she’s speaking in a second language, you fatuous pillock.

Here's one from a name you might know:

Not wanting to be left out, former Foreign Secretary and current absolute cauliflower Boris Johnson piped up. He used his weekly opinion column in a national newspaper to tell teenagers like Thunberg who are concerned that their world might burn (and who don't usually get this kind of platform) that he's sick of hearing their opinions. On Earth Day.

The Telegraph
@Telegraph
@BorisJohnson: 'I am utterly fed up with being told by nice young people that their opinions are more important than my own' http://ow.ly/5gy430ouQy6

And I don't know who this sick twisted douchenozzle is but they need to take her out into a field and put one behind her ear.

Soon the hot takes were in full flow. Helen Dale tweeted that she'd like to arrange an interview for Thunberg with a particularly ferocious UK interviewer in the hopes that she'd have a "meltdown", an especially insensitive term given that Thunberg has Aspergers.

Helen Dale
@_HelenDale
Can the Beeb arrange for Andrew Neil to interview this Greta Thunberg character? Because afterwards I guarantee we’ll never hear from her again. She may even have a meltdown on national telly into the bargain.

Her comment was noted.

Anna Orridge
@orridge_anna
Well, I thought Brendan O'Neill had set the bar as low it could go when it came to spiteful attack on Greta. But here's Helen Dale doing the Limbo under it. Can you imagine being so depraved you would gloat at the prospect of an autistic child bullied and reduced to tears on air?

Depraved. That's the word.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2103 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

No surprise that Faux News is ground zero for American climate change denial.

In evaluating why climate denial is so much more prevalent in America than other wealthy countries, it’s important to consider its demographics. In the 2018 George Mason and Yale survey, just 42 percent of conservative Republicans accepted that global warming is happening, and only 28 percent correctly attributed it to human activities. Older Americans are also more likely to deny human-caused global warming, especially white Americans over the age of 55.

Another recent survey found that Republicans who watch Fox News are more than twice as likely to deny human-caused climate change than Republican non-viewers, and 62 percent of Republicans watch Fox News. Consistent with the demographic breakdown of American climate denial, Fox News viewers are overwhelmingly old and white, as are climate deniers.

In short, the unusual level of climate denial in America is heavily concentrated among the Fox News viewership demographic of old white conservatives, and Republicans who watch the network are extremely likely to deny human-caused global warming. This suggests that the presence of Fox News and other conservative media outlets may be the primary explanation for why climate denial is more prevalent in the United States than in other developed countries.

Once again we see that the Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation produced the lion's share of the people hellbent on destroying our nation. America's only hope is in their deaths. They hate reality and that will never change.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2104 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

CO2 has hit a new "modern" high of 415ppm, thought to be the highest level in about the last 3 million years.

Another climate milestone soared by last weekend when scientists announced that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels hit 415 parts per million for the first time ever (Climatewire, May 7).

It’s the latest in a long list of broken records, and like the others, it promises to hold the title temporarily. Atmospheric CO2 is rising at accelerating rates—currently climbing at close to 3 ppm each year, and getting faster. Every year, the world sees new levels that were previously unrecorded in modern human history. The last time CO2 concentrations hit 415 ppm was likely close to 3 million years ago.

Atmospheric CO2 levels are directly correlated with rising global temperatures. But it’s the warming, itself, that often captures the most international attention. World nations participating in the Paris climate agreement have chosen to set their goals in terms of global temperatures, aiming to keep the climate from warming more than 2 degrees Celsius, or 1.5 C if possible, above its preindustrial condition.

And, indeed, global temperature milestones may make even bigger headlines when they occur. It’s major news when yearly or monthly temperature records are broken. Same when nations experience their hottest heat waves or when winter temperatures are the highest ever recorded.

So why does it matter when we hit a new CO2 milestone? And why monitor carbon dioxide concentrations instead of just paying attention to global temperatures?

There are a variety of reasons, some more obvious than others.

#2105 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2141 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 May 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

You're being rather kind to the American education system.

#2106 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:48 AM

It was 84 degrees near the Arctic Ocean this weekend as carbon dioxide hit its highest level in human history
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2107 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:52 AM

View PostAnBr, on 20 May 2019 - 01:48 AM, said:

84 °K, we hope.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#2108 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 20 May 2019 - 05:52 AM, said:

84 °K, we hope.

Almost 29°C
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#2109 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

View PostAnBr, on 20 May 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

Almost 29°C

<sigh>

Just doing my Positive Thinking thing. Hard work in these troubled times.

#2110 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

Sorry, I was just trying to scare the Bejesus out of you by putting it in more familiar terms.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2111 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9656 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

For comparison, the water in my computer's cooling system is running 25.0 right now as I type. In New Mexico, mid-May.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2112 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

View PostAnBr, on 20 May 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

Sorry, I was just trying to scare the Bejesus out of you by putting it in more familiar terms.

I accept it's the thought that counts, but that would really be a work of supererogation.

#2113 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 20 May 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

I accept it's the thought that counts, but that would really be a work of supererogation.
Fancypants! Made me look it up.

supererogation -
1. An act of doing more than is required.
2. (philosophy) An action that is neither morally forbidden nor required, but has moral value.
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#2114 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I think we may have reported on this guy before but since he is actually a scientist and he's tried to Trump it's worth keeping an eye on him. He's apparently been a known crank for quite a while.

A Trump administration physicist — who is pushing to create a panel with the purpose of debunking climate change — has said in the past that he thinks the “demonization” of carbon dioxide is similar to the way Jewish people were treated under Adolf Hitler in Nazi Germany.

The comments, from 2014, made the rounds on Tuesday after New York Times published an article on the Trump administration’s efforts to push back against efforts to combat climate change.

“The demonization of carbon dioxide is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler,” William Happer, a former Princeton physicist who serves on Trump’s National Security Council as Trump’s deputy assistant for emerging technologies, told CNBC in 2014.

Happer has pushed to create a climate review panel that would essentially question the conclusions reached by a widely accepted methodology for assessing climate change. It’s just one portion of the administration’s broader effort to dismantle former President Barack Obama’s efforts to cut back on greenhouse-gas emissions.

Most recently, Trump’s head of the United States Geological Survey, James Reilly, has directed that all assessments conducted by his office only make projections on the effects of climate change through 2040. Previously the office made projections through the end of the century.

#2115 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

This Vox piece makes the case that natural gas isn't going to work out as a "bridge fuel." One of the things I found really interesting was where the cost of renewables has ended up.

Posted Image

#2116 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Global warming is killing puffins up in Alaska.

When an unusually large number of puffin carcasses began to wash ashore on Alaska’s remote St Paul Island in the fall of 2016, the local tribal population grew alarmed.

At first they suspected the seabirds might have avian flu — but labs on the mainland soon ruled out any disease, finding that the seabirds known for their brightly-colored beaks and thick tufts had instead starved to death.
Report Advertisement

In a new study published Wednesday researchers concluded the deaths, which occurred between October 2016 and February 2017, ran into the thousands — and were part of a growing number of mass die-offs recorded as climate change wreaks havoc on marine ecosystems.

The paper, which appeared in the journal PLOS ONE, found that although locals recovered only 350 carcasses, between 3,150 and 8,500 birds may have succumbed to starvation.

The majority were tufted puffins and the remainder were crested auklets.

The research team, which included scientists from the University of Washington and the Aleut Community of St Paul Island Ecosystem Conservation Office, said that from 2014 increased atmospheric temperatures and decreased winter sea ice led to declines in energy-rich prey species in the Bering Sea.

Tufted puffins breeding in the Bering Sea feed on small fish and marine invertebrates, which in turn eat ocean plankton.

“There was no fat there, the musculature was literally disintegrating,” co-author Julia Parrish said of the birds, which washed up on the island, some 300 miles (480 kilometers) east of the mainland.

According to scientists, Alaska as a whole has been warming twice as fast as the global average, with temperatures earlier this year shattering records.

“The puffins are one among several signals recorded that connect the physics of the system — how cold or warm it is — to the biology of the system,” she told AFP.

#2117 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostLFC, on 30 May 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

This Vox piece makes the case that natural gas isn't going to work out as a "bridge fuel." One of the things I found really interesting was where the cost of renewables has ended up.

Posted Image

Your link is the same URL as the image, which only shows in Chrome.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2118 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostAnBr, on 30 May 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Your link is the same URL as the image, which only shows in Chrome.

Sorry. Here's the article link.

#2119 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

See if this shows by bypassing the server side stuff.

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#2120 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

Perhaps as a "bridge fuel" it has already done its job. It bridged from when solar was still absurdly high, but solar and wind have plummeted to the point where gas is not nearly as needed of an interim as it was before. We need to start building solar like crazy.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users