Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1677 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 06 January 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

So all the righteous people look like sex toys? :P
No they just look like they have been fluffing the President. Which they have...
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#2002 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3651 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:31 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 06 January 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

So all the righteous people look like sex toys? :P

Or they're surprised they were selected for rapture.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#2003 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

Oceans, which absorb over 90% of climate change's energy, are warming at an alarming pace. Here are two pieces, one written at a more popular level and one a bit more technical.

Last year was the hottest ever measured, continuing an upward trend that is a direct result of manmade greenhouse gas emissions.

The key to the measurements is the oceans. Oceans absorb more than 90% of the heat that results from greenhouse gases, so if you want to measure global warming you really have to measure ocean warming.

There are other ways to measure climate change, but none are as convincing as the oceans. Air temperatures are most commonly reported in the media as evidence of global warming, but the problem with these is they are very erratic. While there is certainly a long-term trend of higher air temperatures, any given year may be warmer or colder than the last.

So oceans are key, and they are telling us a clear story. The last five years were the five hottest on record. The numbers are huge: in 2018 the extra ocean heat compared to a 1981-2010 baseline amounted to 196,700,000,000,000,000,000,000 joules. The current rate of ocean warming is equivalent to five Hiroshima-size atomic bombs exploding every second.

The measurements have been published in the journal Advances in Atmospheric Sciences in an article by Lijing Cheng, the lead author, and his colleagues from the Institute for Atmospheric Physics in China. His collaborators, of which I am one, included researchers from around the world. The article charts ocean heat back to the late 1950s, showing a steady increase.

Ocean warming is incontrovertible proof of global warming, and there are real consequences to a warming ocean. Firstly, warmer water expands, and this expansion causes sea levels to rise. Approximately a third of the rise in ocean waters is a result of the heat absorbed by the oceans. Scientists expect about one metre of sea level rise by the end of the century, which would be enough to displace 150 million people worldwide.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2004 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:13 PM

Remember this name; Dr. Ray Bates. He is the latest purveyor of lies for the denialists. He wrote a rebuttal to the IPCC's Special Report #15. The level of lying was breathtaking but it is clear that this man has enough knowledge to lie more effectively than others. Bold is mine.

As dark nights draw in, the venerable contrarians at the GWPF are still up late commissioning silly pseudo-rebuttals to mainstream science. The latest, which no-one was awaiting with any kind of breath, is by Dr. Ray Bates (rtd.) which purports to be a take-down of the recent #SR15 report. As Peter Thorne (an IPCC author) correctly noted, this report is a “cut-and-paste of long-debunked arguments”. I’ve grown a little weary of diving down to rebut every repetitive piece of nonsense, but this one has a few funny aspects that make it worthwhile to do so.

When they go low, we go “sigh…”.

Peter wrote a short rebuttal himself and notes a remarkable display of chutzpah by Bates. Bates quotes a line from the AR5 SPM:

It is extremely likely that more than half of the observed increase in global average surface temperature from 1951 to 2010 was caused by the anthropogenic increase in greenhouse gas concentrations and other anthropogenic forcings together.

And then states “This statement did not necessarily attribute all the observed post-1950 warming to anthropogenic effects”. This is of course true. You actually need to read the next line for that:

The best estimate of the human-induced contribution to warming is similar to the observed warming over this period.

But instead of noting that (or the substantive discussion in Chapter 10 that supported it), he claims that

In contrast to this caution, SR1.5 portrays all the global warming observed since the late 19th century as being human-induced (see Figure 1). This major departure from the Fifth Assessment is presented without any rigorous justification.

This is categorically, absolutely, and totally, untrue. The starting point for SR15 is actually exactly what was in AR5 together with more recent literature. Now, this is not the first time that someone has apparently “misunderstood” these lines. I had a substantial back and forth about them with Judith Curry a few years back (see here, and here). [Unsurprisingly perhaps, she thinks Bates’ report is an “excellent analysis“].

It gets better (and by that I mean worse). Bates then comments on Figure SPM1 of the SR15 and says:

The agreement shown in the figure between the observations (with interannual variations smoothed out) and the mean of the climate simulations (produced by global climate models; GCMs) is close, suggesting that strong confidence can be placed in both the indicated acceleration of the warming and its modelled anthropogenic origin.

… except that, this isn’t what is shown in Fig SPM1 at all. Instead, alongside the observations is an estimate of the attributable warming to anthropogenic effects from Haustein et al. (2017), which is not the ‘mean of GCM simulations’ in any respect.

He also tried to stir up another baseless accusation of fraud on the part of a legitimate scientist. An investigation shows how blatantly dishonest he is, actually overseeing the investigation that cleared the scientist but never mentioning that fact publicly. He simply bashed it from the outside.

But I missed out the very final outcome which I should have been able to predict too: a report, commissioned from learned experts, who spent months poring over the details (including more than 600,000 emails!) and in the end, concluding there was nothing significantly wrong in anything Karl et al did.

That report has now been made public. [Update: apparently this happened in December]

In it the authors make some sensible recommendations to clean up the thicket of conflicting requirements at NOAA for publishing science papers, they spot one mistake made by Karl et al (submitting to Science the day before the NOAA internal review was officially completed), but overall find no substance to the allegations of “thumbs on the scale”, no improper interference by politicians, no rush to publish to influence political discussions, no data tampering, no missing archives. Nothing.

But there is one curious revelation. It turns out that the person in charge of the NOAA internal review about which John Bates was so concerned was…. John Bates!

And even more curiously:

“The MITRE Committee learned that the internal review, later criticized by Bates, was conducted and approved under his own authority. The MITRE Committee found no evidence that Bates ever mentioned this fact in his blog, email, or anywhere else in his discussion of the matter in public.”

Did he mention this to David Rose or Judith Curry in private perhaps? If so, you’d think that they would have publically said so. If not, it adds one more misrepresentation to the pile.

I come to two conclusions: [1] This man should not be given the time of day by any serious person ever again and [2] he should never again be allowed anywhere near NOAA. I wonder how much he's being paid to lie, intentionally misrepresent data, and attack a fellow scientist for something he didn't do.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2005 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

It's time for the next lockstep of Republican footdragging on climate change. The new word is "innovation" and it is already being used as a magic incantation to dispel all attempts at regulating the fossil fuel industry. Here are Congressional Republican parroting the word as they were obviously instructed to do. Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Droppedonmyheadasababy) gets bonus points for a particularly meaningless bit of Republicababble.

In the USA, emissions had been falling by about 0.5 percent per year since 2000 and 1 percent per year since 2010, but they rose by about 2.5 percent in 2018. Basically, the U.S. is making some progress in decarbonizing, thanks primarily to wind, solar, and natural gas replacing more expensive coal power plants, but it’s not happening nearly fast enough to stay within our carbon budget.

That point was made especially clear when the IPCC published its special report on the difference between 1.5 and 2°C (2.7 and 3.6°F) and the Fourth National Climate Assessment report was published soon thereafter. Journalists asked numerous policymakers what they propose to do to address the problem, and surprisingly, many Senate Republicans accepted the scientists’ findings and the need for solutions. Their answers tended to share a common thread:

Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE): “You can’t legislate or regulate your way into the past. We have to innovate our way into the future”

Senator Mike Lee (R-UT): “No [carbon tax] … I think if we’re going to move away from fossil fuels, it’s got to be done through innovation”

Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC): “Both parties need to work together to deploy an innovative, market-driven strategy to combat the impacts of climate change”

Senator John Cornyn (R-TX): “The thing that people miss when they talk about the government imposing let’s say a carbon tax … they’re missing the fact that we have largely learned to innovate our way out of problems in the past … rather than more government regulation, what we need is more innovation”

Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO): “Innovation has a critical role”

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL): “I’ve never been supportive of carbon taxes in the past. I actually think to the extent that we want to truly limit carbon emissions, technology can get us there.”

Senator John Barrasso (R-WY): “Innovation, not new taxes or punishing global agreements, is the ultimate solution.”

In short, the Republican policymaker consensus includes opposition to climate regulations and carbon taxes, but support for “innovation”. But what exactly does “innovation” mean in this context? In an op-ed for the New York Times, Senator Barrasso, who chairs the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, wrote about capturing carbon and using it to extract additional oil from an otherwise unproductive well. Of course, if our goal is to slow global warming, using captured carbon to extract more carbon-intensive fuels is rather counterproductive.

#2006 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

Trump. He may as well have just jumped up and down screaming "I AM STUPID! I AM STUPID!!!"

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Be careful and try staying in your house. Large parts of the Country are suffering from tremendous amounts of snow and near record setting cold. Amazing how big this system is. Wouldn’t be bad to have a little of that good old fashioned Global Warming right now!

#2007 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

I wonder what he'll say when Mar a Lago is under water.

#2008 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9101 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

I hope he's saying, 'Hey, why can't I breathe?'

#2009 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Weather is a a major reason people start believing in climate change. Maybe we can call this phenomenon IMBY (in my back yard).

When it comes to their views on climate change, Americans are looking at natural disasters and their local weather, according to a new poll.

Lately, that means record deadly wildfires in California, rainfall by the foot in Houston when Hurricane Harvey hit and the dome of smog over Salt Lake City that engineer Caleb Gregg steps into when he walks out his door in winter.

“I look at it every day,” Gregg said from Salt Lake City, where winter days with some of the country’s worst air starting a few years ago dinged the city’s reputation as a pristine sports city and spurred state leaders to ramp up clean-air initiatives. “You look out and see pollution just sitting over the valley.”

“I’ve never really doubted climate change – in the last five-ish years it’s become even more evident, just by seeing the weather,” the 25-year-old said. “We know we’re polluting, and we know pollution is having an effect on the environment.”

The poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research and the Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago finds 74 percent of Americans say extreme weather in the past five years — hurricanes, droughts, floods and heat waves — has influenced their opinions about climate change. That includes half of Americans who say these recent events have influenced their thinking a great deal or a lot.

About as many, 71 percent, said the weather they experience daily in their own areas has influenced their thinking about climate change science.

The survey was conducted in November, a few days before the federal government released a major report revving up scientific warnings about the impact of climate change, including the growing toll of extreme storms and droughts.

The share of Americans who said they think the climate is changing has held roughly steady over the last year — about 7 in 10 Americans think climate change is happening. Among those, 60 percent say climate change is caused mostly or entirely by humans, and another 28 percent think it’s about an equal mix of human activities and natural changes.

Overall, 9 percent of Americans said climate change is not happening, and another 19 percent said they were not sure.

The poll finds Americans’ personal observations of real-time natural disasters and the weather around them have more impact than news stories or statements by religious or political leaders.

“It speaks to what we know of what people trust. They trust themselves and their own experiences,” said Heidi Roop, a climate scientist at the University of Washington’s Climate Impact Group who focuses on the science of climate change communication.

They only trust their own experiences? Great. That means they only trust and/or care about what impact THEM. Anything that's not in their back yard is too abstract for them to believe in or maybe even bother paying attention to.

#2010 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12982 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 January 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

They only trust their own experiences? Great. That means they only trust and/or care about what impact THEM. Anything that's not in their back yard is too abstract for them to believe in or maybe even bother paying attention to.

A bit like naïve physics. Scary.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2011 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5592 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 January 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

Weather is a a major reason people start believing in climate change. Maybe we can call this phenomenon IMBY (in my back yard).

If they can't physically see, feel, or hear it..it ain't real. A lot of people are like that.

#2012 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9449 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

View PostLFC, on 24 December 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

In September, a website called Space Weather Archive interviewed Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center. Mlynczak noted that because the sun is currently in a relatively inactive period, the thermosphere (one of the highest layers of Earth’s atmosphere, more than 300 miles above the surface) could reach its coldest temperatures since records began in the 1940s.

Ah, yes. Here's a little atmospheric physics to start the day:

There are two sources of heat to the thermosphere. One is sunlight, in particular ultraviolet which is absorbed there by diatomic nitrogen and oxygen and especially by ozone (yup, the famous "ozone layer.") Those gasses are transparent to the visible light that makes up the majority of solar energy.

They are not transparent to infrared, and that's what makes up the thermal radiation from the surface of the Earth, and which is absorbed by greenhouse gasses ... like carbon dioxide and water vapor. The more greenhouse gasses, the colder the thermosphere is.

Oops.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2013 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9449 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

"Their own experiences" only cover a short span of time, much less than their actual lives. Climate changes in that period are small compared to weather, so it's hard to see changes on the order of 2 degrees per century (40 years comes to less than one degree, when the daily variation is more than ten times as much. It's like saying that night will never come because you can't see shadows move.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2014 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12982 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

The causes are more than just climate change, but this is still very worrisome. Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2015 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Gotta' love clear analogies.

Posted Image

#2016 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Some people are so stupid they shouldn't be trusted to eat with a fork. The only people dumber than this guy are the ones bobbing their heads in agreement as they drool down the front of their t-shirts.

We watch Trump-friendly media so you don’t have to, and today that meant being exposed to Newsmax TV host Brett Winterble’s curious dismissal of climate science on the basis that the earth has an equator dividing the planet into two latitudinal hemispheres.

We have no objective information available to us about the climate, because the climate is this huge, massive, diverse thing. The weather right now at the equator is warm! The weather down in Australia is summer! The weather up here in the northern hemisphere is winter! So what is the average temperature? I don't know [...] It depends, because we have two hemispheres. We have two hemispheres. We have two parts of the earth.

That settles it!

Got that? One hemisphere has summer and one has winter so ... AAAAAHHHH!!!!! I'M SO CONFUSED!

#2017 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

#2018 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

Did colonization of America cool the Earth due to the number of humans killed?

Colonisation of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it disturbed Earth's climate.

That's the conclusion of scientists from University College London, UK.

The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.

This pulled down enough carbon dioxide (CO₂) from the atmosphere to eventually chill the planet.

It's a cooling period often referred to in the history books as the "Little Ice Age" - a time when winters in Europe would see the Thames in London regularly freeze over.

"The Great Dying of the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas led to the abandonment of enough cleared land that the resulting terrestrial carbon uptake had a detectable impact on both atmospheric CO₂ and global surface air temperatures," Alexander Koch and colleagues write in their paper published in Quaternary Science Reviews.

#2019 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3651 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

View PostLFC, on 31 January 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

Gotta' love clear analogies.

Posted Image

I imagine someone more clever than I could come up with something similar concerning laundering money for Russia. Something about the immediate (instant money in pocket) differs from the long term (go to prison).
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#2020 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1745 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostLFC, on 31 January 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

Not too far off re our daily rag. I’m sure it was family-owned once upon a time. By the time I got to the area in the mid-90s, it was owned by NYT. Two sales this decade, and we’re In the Gate House fold now. I suspect there will be an eventual consolidation of our paper with the one from the burg 50 miles down the road; there is a LOT of shared content already.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users