1910 replies to this topic

#1901 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:02 PM

The crazy runs strong with this one. Of course we've heard this kind of crazy multiple times before.

In a video posted to his Facebook page this Wednesday, Joyner slammed an article from The Washington Post’s editorial board that contends President Trump is “complicit” when it comes to extreme weather events like Hurricane Florence, which is currently bearing down on the Carolinas. While many conservative pundits and outlets slammed the article as a nonsensical attempt to blame Trump for climate change, it’s clear that the article’s message is simply pointing out that Trump’s refusal to establish a coherent policy to combat the problem will only make it worse.

But Joyner isn’t one to spend time uncovering the true context of a story, and he mocked the Post for its “crazy” take.

“I read where The Washington Post is blaming the storm on President Trump,” Joyner said in a video excerpt flagged by Right Wing Watch. “You gotta be kidding me! How crazy can you be?”

“They were literally saying, ‘He has to take the blame for this storm because of his belief on climate change, or lack of belief in climate change,'” Joyner stated incorrectly. “All this does is make the climate change people look like bigger nuts than ever.”

Joyner then returned to a familiar refrain from televangelists and far-right preachers: that sin, in this case, abortion, is to blame for the suffering caused by natural disasters — which are sent by God as punishment.

“More than dumping too much CO2 into the air or anything else, the scripture makes it clear what causes these things,” he said.

“It is sin. Sin, which is clearly defined in scripture. One of the worst things we could do to bring a curse on a nation is the shedding of innocent blood. What could be more innocent than the unborn? And look at what America is doing.”

To be fair "it is sin" and "look at what America is doing" are fair points, just not in the way he thinks.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1902 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8287 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

No doubt that's why there is a strong positive correlation between Christian religiousity and climate-related disasters.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1903 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11828 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

Hurricane Florence Is 50 Miles Larger, with 50% More Rain, Thanks to Climate Change
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#1904 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8287 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:53 AM

And ... The Federalist is on it.
Hurricane Florence Proves Weather Is Climate, But Only When It Suits The Left’s Agenda
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1905 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12253 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostAnBr, on 15 September 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

Wow. That is a pretty elegant paper. Thanks. But not that it will dent the POGer mindset.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1906 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12253 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 16 September 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

Is this an offshoot of the Onion?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1907 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8287 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

The Onion couldn't get away with publishing something like that.

#1908 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:41 PM

The guy had a deadline to meet and this was all he could come up with.

#1909 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4222 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostTraveler, on 16 September 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

Is this an offshoot of the Onion?

Inadvertently
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1910 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1881 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 September 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

No doubt that's why there is a strong positive correlation between Christian religiousity and climate-related disasters.

No need for qualifiers.

#1911 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

There are more strawmen in that argument than a mobius strip made of the film for Wizard of Oz. Bonus DIPs (Denialist Liar Points™ can be traded in for valuable gifts!) for using the word "global" repeatedly and then showing a chart of hurricanes that hit the United States.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users