1414 replies to this topic

#1 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

This time in Oregon. And from the court, very similar wording as the last court strikes:

Once again, a tip o' the hat to Justice Kennedy.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

The Supremes just seem to be riding this time of turmoil out. By the time they make their decision, it looks like it's going to end up as little more than a statement of "ditto" ... minus at least Scalia and Thomas, of course. It seems like federal justices at every other level and from every part of the nation are in pretty solid agreement. At this point the tide is so strong that I can't imagine Roberts wanting a dissent to stain his legacy.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostLFC, on 19 May 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

The Supremes just seem to be riding this time of turmoil out. By the time they make their decision, it looks like it's going to end up as little more than a statement of "ditto" ... minus at least Scalia and Thomas, of course. It seems like federal justices at every other level and from every part of the nation are in pretty solid agreement. At this point the tide is so strong that I can't imagine Roberts wanting a dissent to stain his legacy.

Yes. A while back, TRSers (indy comes to mind) taught me to chill on all that- that even with civil rights, the states came aboard in the majority before a sweeping, SCOTUS ruling. A little civics lesson, playing out before our eyes. I still hate the process, because I'm impatient with intolerance and depriving American's of their rights. But the best thing about all of this is that we will soon be to the tipping point where the remaining red states won't be able to stop the train. We might already be there. Good enough.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 19 May 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

I still hate the process, because I'm impatient with intolerance and depriving American's of their rights.

Andrew Sullivan has been pushing for this for decades, His book "Virtually Normal" was written in 1996. It's interesting to read how stunned he really is that it's happening as fast as it is. He never thought he'd live to see the day when he could marry his now husband.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Looks like my current state of residence, Pennsylvania, is on the verge of having a decision announced at 2:00PM today by a U.S. District judge. Stay tuned!

#6 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9614 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

I don't know anyone in a gay marriage, or anyone even considering one, but I'll admit to feeling a bit of schadenfreude as religious bigots squirm in discomfort with all these 'icky' rulings.

As for the speed of such decisions, except for the individuals concerned, I don't think it's totally a bad thing. If large societal decisions could be made faster, there would be too many bad ones made since fads can come and go.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#7 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2420 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 20 May 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

I don't know anyone in a gay marriage, or anyone even considering one, but I'll admit to feeling a bit of schadenfreude as religious bigots squirm in discomfort with all these 'icky' rulings.

As for the speed of such decisions, except for the individuals concerned, I don't think it's totally a bad thing. If large societal decisions could be made faster, there would be too many bad ones made since fads can come and go.

I was just at the annual "moveable feast" at Chateau Montelena. We were seated next to a lesbian couple who have been together for 30 years (and married for 4). It was incredibly touching to see how happy they felt over an arrangement that most of us take completely for granted.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#8 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

I share Dr D's observation. I know a lesbian couple that's been together 25 years. Each time California allowed gay marriage, they went through a ceremony starting back when the City of San Francisco under Mayor Newsom started recognizing marriages in 2004. I think they've been married 2 or 3 times now...to each other.

#9 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5980 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Bush-Appointed Judge Cites Scalia In Axing Pennsylania Gay Marriage Ban

Lol!!!
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#10 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9614 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 20 May 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Lol!!!

Lol, indeed.

"As I have said, the real rationale of today’s opinion ... is that DOMA is motivated by 'bare ... desire' to harm couples in same-sex marriages," Scalia wrote in the 2013 dissent. "How easy it is, indeed how inevitable, to reach the same conclusion with regard to state laws denying same-sex couples marital status."

Jones is one of several district court judges in numerous states to cite Scalia's prescient warning about the broader legal consequences of the DOMA reasoning. Same-sex marriage has enjoyed a remarkable winning streak since the ruling.

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

It's nice to see my state join the ranks, even if it did require a federal judge to get it done.

Posted Image

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 20 May 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Lol!!!

"No! No! NO!!! What I really meant was..."

Posted Image

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Two more fun facts on this decision. First, the judge has provided no stay on the ruling. And second, Rick Santorum endorsed the judge who made the ruling.

#14 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9614 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Someone is goin' to hell for this. I just don't know who!

Posted Image

#15 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16020 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

The Church Lady?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#16 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2768 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Been reading a great book on the history of the world circa 100-700AD in the West called "The shadow of the Sword' by Tim Holland. So far, it is astounding. If you are interested in the real history of the various religions that came out of the Near East, read this book. I am blown away at the lack of any real evidence for any authority on the OT, the NT and the Koran that was not some latter effort to piece together various mythologies and tales. Why don't we teach real history instead of fake history? Saddens me because the reality is much more interesting than the myth.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostSinan, on 20 May 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

I am blown away at the lack of any real evidence for any authority on the OT, the NT and the Koran that was not some latter effort to piece together various mythologies and tales. Why don't we teach real history instead of fake history?

Because the powers that be in organized religion will howl that they are under attack. Their positions of power depend upon both the personal spin from previous power mongers as well as their own personal interpretations granting them power over people. All that piecing together after the fact was all done for a reason.

#18 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Aaaaaaaand there goes WISCONSIN!

http://www.usatoday....riage/10093565/

#19 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

Sullivan tossed out a link to a NY Times article about the Presbyterian Church voting to allow ministers to perform SSM.

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) voted at its General Assembly on Thursday to change its constitution’s definition of marriage from “a man and a woman” to “two people,” and to allow its ministers to perform same-sex marriages where it is legal.

Both measures, passed by large majorities, are a reversal for a church that in 1991 and in 2008 barred its pastors from performing same-sex marriages, and that has held ecclesiastical trials for ministers who violated the ban and blessed gay couples.

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39568 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

The hits just keep on coming. The 10th Circuit Court struck down the gay marriage ban in Utah (though apparently stayed the ruling until it's heard by SCOTUS ... or not) and a federal judge did the same in Indiana but did not stay the ruling. Here's an interactive map on the state of the states.

http://www.usatoday....riage/11354831/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users