Nigeria: Boko Haram Muslims Kidnap 100s of Christian Girls for Slavery and Child Brides

43 replies to this topic

#41 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9371 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Potentially some developing info that the girls have been located (located, not rescued) by US marines: http://www.thenigeri...n+Voice+News%29

This is, as they say, developing, so I wouldn't trust the story overly much.

#42 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostD. R. Tucker, on 10 May 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

At the risk of total thread derailment I had a look at this article:

However, Maher said “perspective is important,” and Dinesh D’Souza added that most of the terrorist attacks in recent history have at the very least some ties to the Islamic faith. Huffington argued it’s unfair to say “all Muslims are guilty,” which both D’Souza and Maher denied they were saying, and Maher insisted that “Islam is the problem.”
I agree that Islam is the problem, but I also think Christianity is the problem. I think it is interesting to argue that "perspective is important" and then follow that up with a condemnation of a 1300 year old religion based on recent events. If you are having the same conversation in 1990 with an IRA casualty count easily in the thousands the two decades previous is the perspective then that Catholicism is the problem? And let's not leave out another of the world's great religions, Hindus of the LTTE invented the suicide belt and revolutionized terrorism strategy.
Religion is like politics, it is about identity and us-and-them and I for one wish that everyone had an ethical system based on enlightened self-interest that did not involve a religious identity mucking things up. The differences between most religions, and particularly between Christianity and Islam, are niggling details in the grand scheme of things. People represented by the identity associated with Islam are seeing their world encroached on and are ending up on the losing end a lot, that seems like the problem that some "perspective" would illuminate.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#43 dsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3654 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

A different perspective.

Black Agenda Report: Kidnapped Girls Become Tools of US Imperial Policy in Africa

#44 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 07 May 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

That's the big question: what exactly do you do to solve this?

dsp, the kidnapped girls were probably muslim, not Christian, as northern Nigeria is mostly muslim (but not enough to satisfy Boko Haram).

What I think is most likely to happen is similar to the Shining Path when Fujimori came to power. Boko Haram has most definitely jumped the shark, and the international community is likely to let out a big yawn when either the present government or a future one pulls out all the stops and dispenses with the Geneva Convention, human rights, etc.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic.

Only source I could find (and CS Monitor is really good on foreign affairs), says *some* of the girls were Christian and were made to convert.

http://www.csmonitor...ped-girls-video

I have seen other reports, from sources I would not trust, that put it in a way that suggested that all the girls were Christian or that this even was a Christian school.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users