Palin at NRA meeting: ‘Waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists’ | TheHill

16 replies to this topic

#1 D. R. Tucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Waiting for conservatives to condemn this blasphemy. Won't hold my breath, though...

http://thehill.com/b...tize-terrorists

#2 D. R. Tucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

From Mediaite:

http://www.mediaite....ize-terrorists/

#3 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6225 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Girl's gotta make money....

#4 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

John McCain's eternal legacy.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#5 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Just in time; I see "24" is back, the show that helped normalize torturing suspected terrorists.

Of course Cheney still says the decision to use torture was a "no brainer" it was so obviously correct.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#6 anniemargret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

She was a national disgrace then, and still is now. A glam'd up right wing redneck with an oversized ego.
- "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it."
- "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
- "Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason."

-Mark Twain (1835-1981), American author, humorist

"I felt more keenly than before the need of a philosophy that would do justice to the infinite vitality of Nature. In all things I saw the passion of life for growth and greatness, the drama of everlasting creation.

I came to think of myself, not as a dance and chaos of molecules, but as a brief and minute portion of that majestic process. . . In a measure the Great Sadness was lifted from me, and, where I had seen omnipresent death, I saw now everywhere the pageant and triumph of life."

- Will Durant (1885-1981), historian, writer, philosopher

#7 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

The statement doesn't even have any relevance to the NRA. I mean, if you're the keynote speaker at somebody's convention, shouldn't you talk about subjects that are important to them?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#8 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6225 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 27 April 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

The statement doesn't even have any relevance to the NRA. I mean, if you're the keynote speaker at somebody's convention, shouldn't you talk about subjects that are important to them?

I imagine the NRA knew exactly what it was getting--red meat to get crowd enthused.

#9 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

View Postcmk, on 27 April 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

John McCain's eternal legacy.
That he is one of the few Republicans that actually genuinely opposes torture is a cruel twist of irony.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#10 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13966 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostJ-CA, on 27 April 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

That he is one of the few Republicans that actually genuinely opposes torture is a cruel twist of irony.

Well, how many current Repugs have actually served?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Sarah Palin: Anti-Christian by Andrew Sullivan.

Now look how far we have come from the original notion – pioneered by Charles Krauthammer and popularized by “24″ – that torture should only be used in the hypothetical ticking time-bomb case. That argument – only ever hypothetical – nonetheless assumes that torture is evil and should only be used in extremis to prevent imminent catastrophe. Palin, in contrast, like her party, has long since blown past such niceties. She believes that torture should be the first resort – a sign of how America treats its foes, a badge of honor.

What can one say but that this is a bona fide fascistic sentiment. It revels in violence against individuals tied down by their hands and feet and strapped to a terrifying board in order to be suffocated hundreds of times to near-death. It is the kind of statement you might expect from the Khmer Rouge, or from the Chinese Communists who perfected “stress positions”, or from the Nazis, whose Gestapo pioneered “enhanced interrogation”, i.e. brutal torture that would leave no physical traces. Except it’s worse than that. Even totalitarian regimes have publicly denied their torture. Their reticence and lies are some small concession of vice to the appearance of virtue. Not Palin – who wants to celebrate brutal torture as the American way.

And then she manages to go one step further. She invokes torture in the context of a Christian sacrament. Not since the Nazis’ Deutsche Christen have we seen something so disgusting and blasphemous in the morphing of Christianity into its polar opposite.

Here's a graph that shows how 62% of white Evangelicals agree that torture can often or sometimes be justified. They are the core of the hard right, and they overwhelmingly support torture ... as long as America is the one doing the torturing.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#12 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I suspect the key is that those tortured are "others". Even jail is too cruel for a rich white guy or his teenage son, and calling someone a "racist" or talking about the 1% in less than respectful tones is one step short of Kristalnacht!!
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#13 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Wow, 174 people is a tiny sample.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#14 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Here's another poll with a torture acceptance rate of 57% with 600 people.

Here's another poll back in 2006 that shows a white Evangelical acceptance rate at least below 50%. Hmmmm. Wonder what has changed?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Via Sullivan, the National Religious Campaign Against Torture has issued a letter to both Sarah Palin and the NRA to refudiate repudiate equating baptism with torture. Bitch, you just got served.

Ms. Palin:

Religious leaders from many faiths have called on you to denounce torture and to apologize to
the U.S. Muslim and Christian communities for statements you made at the NRA’s Annual
Meeting in Indianapolis over the weekend. Referring to those whom you declare have
“information on plots to carry out jihad,” you said, “If I were in charge, they would know that
waterboarding is how we’d baptize terrorists.”

For Christians, baptism is a profoundly holy act. It stands in stark contrast to the abhorrent act of
waterboarding. Equating baptism to an act of torture like waterboarding is sacrilegious – and
particularly surprising coming from you as someone who has publicly professed your Christian
faith.

Furthermore, your statements play into a false narrative conveying that somehow, the conflict
between the United States and the terrorist cells is a conflict between Christianity and Islam, or
Islam and “the West.” This narrative does a severe disservice by incorrectly painting all
Muslims with a brush of violent extremism. It completely ignores the many Muslims, Christians
and people of other faiths who have weathered these conflicts and have been partners with the
United States in challenging the power and ideologies of violence and terrorism.

Ms. Palin, your words are an unacceptable conflation of church and state that represents the
worst of what is possible when political conflicts are expressed in theological terms. It is both
immoral and factually inaccurate to equate any faith tradition, Muslim or otherwise, with
terrorism.

While faith leaders, and people of good will across the United States, are working diligently to
ensure that torture never again stains the U.S. Constitution as it did in the aftermath of 9/11, you
are standing on the wrong side of history by condoning torture.

We ask that you apologize for your comments made at the NRA convention and join us in
dialogue on how we can work together to combat the xenophobic zealotry such statements
represent.

Signed,

Rev. Ron Stief
Executive Director

#16 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Suspect she was lost by the end if the first paragraph.

Wonder if the response comes as:

"Dear Rev.;

Ms Palin would be delighted to address your group. I have enclosed her standard contract...."
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 01 May 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

Suspect she was lost by the end if the first paragraph.

Yeah, well colons are "gotcha" bits of punctuation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users