A Rare G.O.P. Battle Forces an Incumbent to Look Left

14 replies to this topic

#1 D. R. Tucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

A moderate Republican trying to unseat a conservative congressman from his own party, Art Moore sat a little stiffly at a Sizzler restaurant here during the monthly meeting of the Auburn Area Republican Women Federated. Appearing after the meeting’s agenda was already set, Mr. Moore was not invited to speak before the group — not that it would have made much of a difference.

He knew that many local Republican officials did not look kindly at his recent decision to challenge Representative Tom McClintock, a Tea Party favorite. One of them, Bonnie McAdams, was blunt about it.

“Don’t run against other Republicans,” Ms. McAdams, a member of the Republican Party’s central committee in Placer County, told Mr. Moore. “Go get the other guys. They’re the enemies, not the Republicans.”

Mr. Moore’s challenge in California’s Fourth Congressional District is an unusual one, even against the backdrop of the Republican Party’s internecine battles.

http://www.nytimes.c...-art-moore.html

#2 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostD. R. Tucker, on 21 April 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

“Don’t run against other Republicans,” Ms. McAdams, a member of the Republican Party’s central committee in Placer County, told Mr. Moore. “Go get the other guys. They’re the enemies, not the Republicans.”

Sounds like a ratchet to me.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

A moderate Republican trying to unseat a conservative congressman from his own party, Art Moore sat a little stiffly at a Sizzler restaurant here during the monthly meeting of the Auburn Area Republican Women Federated. Appearing after the meeting’s agenda was already set, Mr. Moore was not invited to speak before the group — not that it would have made much of a difference.

He knew that many local Republican officials did not look kindly at his recent decision to challenge Representative Tom McClintock, a Tea Party favorite. One of them, Bonnie McAdams, was blunt about it.

Mr. Moore’s challenge in California’s Fourth Congressional District is an unusual one, even against the backdrop of the Republican Party’s internecine battles.

http://www.nytimes.c...-art-moore.html

Oh the irony in McAdam's statement ...

Moore is exactly the kind of Republican that was the reason I registered GOP in California. So that I can vote for these guys in the primaries (Democrats in California, like here in New York, are pretty uniformly progressive).
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#4 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostBanty, on 21 April 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Oh the irony in McAdam's statement ...

Total lack of self-awareness?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 21 April 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Total lack of self-awareness?

Right, I sure she has the same view of Tea Party candidates opposing more "moderate" GOP incumbents. Of course the "enemy" tag is part of the problem with all our politics.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#6 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13770 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

So where is this outrage against the teatards when they constantly threaten to primary more sane Republicans?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#7 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostAnBr, on 21 April 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

So where is this outrage against the teatards when they constantly threaten to primary more sane Republicans?

It's pinging around in the empty 'tard' section of their brains.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#8 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Good point.
— Nate Silver

#9 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 21 April 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

It's pinging around in the empty 'tard' section of their brains.

IDWYATT

It's Different when you're a tea tard
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#10 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

The outrage is where it belongs, raging against the sane Republicans. The team is "Team Crazy" and the opponent is "Team Sane" - you gotta drive all the sane ones off your team so that the partisan alignment is properly calibrated, then it is easy to identify who is and is not an enemy, right?
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#11 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

McClintock is a piece of work. He was a state legislator from Ventura for years and knew he could not get elected to Congress here so he looked around the state and moved to Roseville area to get elected. He also ran for Governor against Arnie. He is a numbers guy, a budget guy. He is very smart and very partisan.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostSinan, on 21 April 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

He is a numbers guy, a budget guy. He is very smart and very partisan.

A Tea Party type who is a numbers and budget guy sounds like an oxymoron. To be one you have to abandon the other. Of course you can be like Paul Ryan and PRETEND to do both, but you can't actually do both.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#13 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostLFC, on 21 April 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

A Tea Party type who is a numbers and budget guy sounds like an oxymoron. To be one you have to abandon the other. Of course you can be like Paul Ryan and PRETEND to do both, but you can't actually do both.

Well, he is really just an accountant which is all Ryan is really. Balance the ledgers, create an income statement and stop the engineers from spending money on that next design. That is all he is, a CFO whose sole job it is to keep the stock price up for investors. Very short sighted thinker.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#14 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Democracts in CA are uniformly progressive but there's still a huge difference between the pragmatic ones with the levers of power like Gov Brown and some of the movement progressives who are on the fringes but still give us their votes in the legislature.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#15 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13770 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostBanty, on 21 April 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

IDWYATT

It's Different when you're a tea tard

Is this a variant of IOKIYAR?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users