Obamacare & Healthcare in America (was Tales of People Screwed by...)

3454 replies to this topic

#3421 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:54 PM

Hey, at least they look good for sneaking into the WC. We just lost to Atlanta who got Keuchel, the only decent free-agent pitcher available. But management sat on its hands. They drop $330 on Harper, and wont shore up their horrible pitching? They had to move 3 of their starters to the bullpen or even down to the minors. While Keuchel was there for the taking. Talk about idiocy. The fans are revolting. At least 150 comments after every game, and everyone lambasting the front office.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#3422 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

The deep pocketed health insurance companies are taking out a massive ad buy during the Democratic debate.

A coalition of major insurance companies and drug manufacturers plans to air a series of ads attacking Medicare for All during the 2020 Democratic presidential debate Thursday night, ensuring the event’s commercial breaks will feature talking points from the corporate interests profiting off America’s dysfunctional for-profit healthcare system.

The Partnership for America’s Health Care Future (PAHCF), which was formed in 2018 to combat Medicare for All, said it will run ads on both ABC and Univision, the two networks hosting the Democratic debate in Houston, Texas.

The coalition said it also plans to “run advertisements on Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat, as well as a takeover of YouTube’s homepage following the debate.”

The blitz is part of a seven-figure ad buy aimed at perpetuating the right-wing narrative that Medicare of All would increase Americans’ healthcare costs and income taxes.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the ad campaign shows “industry groups view Medicare for All as a serious threat in a 2020 election.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3423 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4365 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:16 AM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 12 September 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Enjoy playing them, watching not so much, too boring. I turn on the Dallas Cowboys game and take a nap.

I use golf for that purpose.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#3424 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

NPR did a good review of where the candidates stand on healthcare policy. The more I read the less I like the Sanders version of pure Medicare for All with the push for total elimination of private insurance. I do like that some other candidates who support it at least speak of an incremental approach. I'm much more comfortable with people who think about the realities and not just their utopian case.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3425 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2217 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostLFC, on 13 September 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

NPR did a good review of where the candidates stand on healthcare policy. The more I read the less I like the Sanders version of pure Medicare for All with the push for total elimination of private insurance. I do like that some other candidates who support it at least speak of an incremental approach. I'm much more comfortable with people who think about the realities and not just their utopian case.

Sen. Warren avoided answering the question on increase in Medicare taxes her plan would require. She said higher income individuals will pay more. Where is her proposed line?

#3426 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 13 September 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

Sen. Warren avoided answering the question on increase in Medicare taxes her plan would require. She said higher income individuals will pay more. Where is her proposed line?

The devil is always in the details, ain't it?

#3427 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 13 September 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

Well, her wealth tax would raise $2.5T over a decade.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#3428 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

But that wealth tax is opposed to pay for lots of other expensive programs too. As Frank Bruni cemented today, she was very slippery.

#3429 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2217 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostTraveler, on 13 September 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

Well, her wealth tax would raise $2.5T over a decade.

The Medicare taxes are on income, not wealth. Her wealth tax revenue is already spoken for.

View PostJackD, on 13 September 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

But that wealth tax is opposed to pay for lots of other expensive programs too. As Frank Bruni cemented today, she was very slippery.

As someone noted on TV, whenever another candidate throws a punch at her, she ducks, it lands on Bernie and inevitably an enraged
Bernie starts shouting in response, she gets away without the need to respond.

Here he was spitting in everyone's supper last night.

Posted Image

#3430 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

More power to her for those moves. But she will have to come clean soon.

#3431 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

The House Dems are going after the Republican gift to Big Pharma, the barring of Medicare to bargain for lower prescription drug prices. If there's any single move that exemplifies the corruption of government in the past few decades this one would definitely be in contention. The staggering billions of taxpayer dollars that this has handed out is a perfect illustration of what's wrong with our medical system here in the U.S.

House Democrats have officially introduced their big prescription drug pricing plan, but it’s unclear just how much traction it can get in a divided Congress.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi unveiled the proposal on Thursday in a bid to address one of Democrats’ chief 2018 campaign promises: Last fall, lawmakers across the country pledged to bring down the increasingly exorbitant prices voters face for different medications.

According to a summary shared by Pelosi’s office, the Democrats’ proposal would mark a major shift in the way prescription drug prices are set in the US by empowering the federal government to directly negotiate drug prices for Medicare recipients as well as others purchasing the drug.

Under current law, the Health and Human Services Secretary is barred from engaging in negotiations for prescription drugs covered by Medicare, an arrangement established in 2003 as part of the Medicare Modernization Act that set up Medicare’s prescription drug benefit. Presently, private plans that offer Medicare Part D benefits negotiate drug costs independently. But they often lack the leverage to secure the kinds of reductions the government may be able to obtain, given its bargaining power.

Although President Donald Trump has previously expressed interest in getting something done on drug prices, it’s not certain this Democratic plan is something he will get behind. The Democrats’ proposal would significantly expand the government’s role, a move that many Republicans have been wary of in the past. It’s one of several plans lawmakers have floated to curb prescription drug prices, and the latest sign of just how much voters are pushing this issue.

#3432 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostJackD, on 13 September 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

Good, all the Democrats should stay slippery on how to pay for things, the insistence on fully costed platforms with unpopular measures in them that are never going to get anywhere near passing congress is the dumbest thing in US federal politics.
"How are you going to pay for that popular policy?"
"The smartest people in congress are going to hire the cleverest consultants on K-street and we are going to game the living shit out of the CBO's models with absurd tax gimmicks until we can ram it through reconciliation at 4 o'clock in the morning on a Friday in July and by God, it will be glorious!"
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#3433 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9314 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:03 PM

I was thinking it would be nice to tax corporations based on their tax write-offs for employee health benefits. That, I'm guessing would fully fund it once the insurance companies are cut out.

I crack myself up sometimes.

#3434 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Pretending that expensive programs won't cause increased taxes just gives the Republicans opportunities to accuse Democrats of scamming the electorate. Polling consistently shows that people favor increased benefits of all kinds until the tax consequences are shown. This is particularly true with medical coverage proposals. Senator Warren is very aware of this. Pretending that employers will increase wages when relieved of employee premiums makes employees laugh out loud before they start shouting.

#3435 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9953 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:45 PM

Thus, it's better to have the public option. Corporations can still offer their employees healthcare coverage either by buying into the public variant, offering something like a flexible spending plan, or staying with the current setup.

Note that an increasing number of corporations are cutting out the middleman -- I know of two semiconductor manufacturers (Intel and Microchip) that quite a while ago decided that aside from using an outside claims processor for privacy reasons just pay directly for health care[1]. Self-coverage to the extent possible. If the overhead for WhatsitCare were down in the Medicare/Medicaid range they wouldn't bother because it would likely be on net less than the overhead they're paying now.

[1] They use BC/BS or other major insurers' networks and negotiated rates.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3436 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostJackD, on 21 September 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Pretending that expensive programs won't cause increased taxes just gives the Republicans opportunities to accuse Democrats of scamming the electorate. Polling consistently shows that people favor increased benefits of all kinds until the tax consequences are shown. This is particularly true with medical coverage proposals. Senator Warren is very aware of this. Pretending that employers will increase wages when relieved of employee premiums makes employees laugh out loud before they start shouting.
I guess Republicans can yell at you for promising to increase taxes or they can yell at you for promising things that they say will increase your taxes.

I confess that in my mental model of the persuadable voter the assertion by a Republican that a Democrat will raise your taxes is a given, while tape of a Democrat saying they will raise your taxes has more power.
And in my mental model of a Democratic Party supporting low-propensity voter the whole idea of pay-fors just isn't that important, they just would want to hear an uncompromising policy position that they like.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#3437 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4365 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:44 AM

View PostJ-CA, on 22 September 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

And in my mental model of a Democratic Party supporting low-propensity voter . . .

I really had to work hard to parse this as "low-propensity voter who supports the Democratic Party". I take it that is actually what you meant?

I spent 30 seconds trying to parse it as "Democratic party supporting the low-propensity voter". Wen I finally gave up and parsed it as in my previous paragraph, I was in a foul mood.

I'll stop there and leave the issue with you.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#3438 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:44 AM

View Postindy, on 21 September 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

I was thinking it would be nice to tax corporations based on their tax write-offs for employee health benefits. That, I'm guessing would fully fund it once the insurance companies are cut out.

I crack myself up sometimes.
You certainly do. The employer tax deduction of $280b/y pays for a LOT of coverage.

#3439 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:46 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 23 September 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

I really had to work hard to parse this as "low-propensity voter who supports the Democratic Party". I take it that is actually what you meant?

I spent 30 seconds trying to parse it as "Democratic party supporting the low-propensity voter". Wen I finally gave up and parsed it as in my previous paragraph, I was in a foul mood.

I'll stop there and leave the issue with you.
Yeah, my head hurt too. I also gave up. Sometimes J-CA doesnt like commas or periods.

#3440 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13436 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

I took it as simply a voter that supports the Dems, at least their policies, but is less likely to actually vote. There are a lot of them.

“If everyone in this country voted, the Democrats would be in for the next 100 years.”

— John Kenneth Galbraith

Even with the country rubes falling for the right-wing media I suspect that this is still true.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users