First an Atheist Monument in FL, Now a Satanic Monument in OK?

59 replies to this topic

#41 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

Happy Hanukkah, Dr.D.

I went to get a Christmas tree at least one year at Apple Hill, but don't remember any such nonsense, just looked for a tree, cut it down and paid for it, lashed it to the car, and took it home. :)

Once you get into the foothills, there is a very steep gradient in political leanings/ So I guess it shouldn't surprise me.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#42 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

View Postdrdredel, on 13 December 2015 - 03:12 AM, said:

I had a fully surreal experience this afternoon whereby my family and I went to buy a Christmas tree near Placerville because my wife thought it would be fun for our 3 year old to enjoy the volunteer run Christmas Stage Coach ride that happens to be free.

As it turned out the stage coach was run by (extremely merry) fanatics. There were signs on each side of the carriage that read "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" and the level of aggression with which the stage coach drivers spat "Merry Christmas" at everyone on the streets was quite viscerally intimidating.

The biggest irony was that I felt it would be inappropriate (possibly rude) to wish them a happy Hanukkah in spite of the fact that today was the 7th day of Hanukkah (and Christmas is still two wretched jingle filled weeks away).

This is the first time that I've been on the front lines in the War on Christmas™ and I have to say - while I lost this battle - I'm now really motivated to win the war.

It did make me curious though - What's the official day when you're supposed to start saying "merry christmas"? It feels like it's somewhere midway through September, but I haven't read the official rules anywhere.

Heh. According to the "war on Christmas" set, the first official day to yell "Merry Christmas" is the day after Halloween - - if one is employed in retail, as one sets up all the Christmas stuff to start the selling season. And if they don't think the mercantilism isn't the real reason for the season, they're not objecting much.

In more normal times, you can wish Merry Christmas pretty much starting mid December, but also if you don't anticipate seeing the person before Christmas.

And, it would have been PERFECT if you had wished Happy Hannukah on the sleigh ride.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#43 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5714 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

DrD, I had a similar experience a few years back. It was early in December and the 2nd night of Hanukkah. We were in a gourmet kitchen show restaurant where you watch the chefs as they work and talk about what they are doing. We were there with a group of people celebrating a wedding anniversary. The head chef started in with the "Merry Christmas I don't do PC" shtick. Then the owner of the place comes at dessert to glad hand at each table. He repeated the same sentiment at our table. I, the not Jewish person in my marriage, had some wine in me. I raised my glass said "Since it's the 2nd night of Hanukkah, Happy Hanukkah to you!" The guy left the dining room and never came back.

#44 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 13 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

DrD, I had a similar experience a few years back. It was early in December and the 2nd night of Hanukkah. We were in a gourmet kitchen show restaurant where you watch the chefs as they work and talk about what they are doing. We were there with a group of people celebrating a wedding anniversary. The head chef started in with the "Merry Christmas I don't do PC" shtick. Then the owner of the place comes at dessert to glad hand at each table. He repeated the same sentiment at our table. I, the not Jewish person in my marriage, had some wine in me. I raised my glass said "Since it's the 2nd night of Hanukkah, Happy Hanukkah to you!" The guy left the dining room and never came back.

Which makes the point perfectly, these are Christians who think theirs is the only "real" religion, so freedom of religion only protects them.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#45 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I remember a line from "The Joys of Yiddish" describing a dinner party where an anti-Semite is telling the other guests about a trip to an exotic local and ends his story by saying "It was great, six weeks and I didn't see a single pig or Jew". Naturally the other guests greet this with Stoney silence, until a Jewish guest speaks up: "A pity, had I known, we could have resolved things quite simply." "How's that?" asks the anti-Semite. "We could have traveled together." replied the Jewish guest.

Your Non-PC restauranteers certainly brought that to mind.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#46 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2609 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 13 December 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

Once you get into the foothills, there is a very steep gradient in political leanings/ So I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

True. My folks live up there (Garden Valley), but they are very much in the minority. So blue they glow, in the same district that elected Doolittle for years and still inflicts McClintock on the nation.

#47 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

It was hard to decide if this should go in this tread or the "War on Christmas" thread.

Nebraska atheists take over nativity to promote tolerance

When Christmas comes to Lincoln, Nebraska this year, Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus will find there is no room in the inner halls of the state capitol – and no manger either.
Instead, there will be an 8ft “happy humanist” next to a “reason tree” dedicated to science and “human intellectual achievement”.
On Friday, a classic Christian nativity scene was erected in the rotunda of Nebraska’s capitol building. The state’s lieutenant governor, Mike Foley, was scheduled to attend.
But on 18 December the nativity will have to be moved, to make way for exhibits organized by a coalition of atheist and humanist groups who last summer booked up all available exhibition space in the rotunda for the week around Christmas Day.
From 19 to 26 December, therefore, the capitol will host an exhibition called Reason this Season, organized by Lincoln Atheists, Omaha Atheists and several other humanist associations.

A reason tree? Once again, Festivus is overlooked.

#48 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13179 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

Posted Image
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#49 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5714 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

The Satanic Temple strikes again. This time in the Phoenix City Council. The Temple wanted to offer its prayer in the usual spot before a council meeting begins. So the council decides to stop the practice of having a prayer before the council meetings.

https://www.washingt...omepage%2Fstory

#50 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 05 February 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

The Satanic Temple strikes again. This time in the Phoenix City Council. The Temple wanted to offer its prayer in the usual spot before a council meeting begins. So the council decides to stop the practice of having a prayer before the council meetings.

More proof that these people are all about Christian hegemony, not religious freedom. As long as the predominant prayers being made are from their preferred religion, they're all for it.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#51 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 February 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

More proof that these people are all about Christian hegemony, not religious freedom. As long as the predominant prayers being made are from their preferred religion, they're all for it.

Right, but they have no real notion of what "religious freedom" is. They can't fathom the idea that the stuff they believe is an arbitrary set of ideas with which many people *happen to agree - but that this convergence of belief is an accident of history and not the result of empirical research. And owing to their ignorance of the world at large they are inoculated from the reality that there are even larger multitudes out there who don't agree with them on what the "truth" about the nature of the universe is. As far as they can tell, based on the makeup of their local community, anyone who doesn't see things their way really is a member of some misguided cult.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#52 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

The Satanic Temple is now officially a tax-exempt church. They apparently avoided doing this until Trump started pushing "religious freedom" rules that I'm sure they'll insist are applied equally.

Good news for those who worship Satan and Satan-adjacent deities (goats, I wanna say?): the Satanic Temple has officially been granted tax-exempt status by the IRS, according to a post from the religion’s official Instagram account.

Being granted tax-exempt status essentially means that the Satanic Temple has the same legal protections that other religions do, including “access to public spaces as other religious organizations; affirming its standing in court when battling religious discrimination; and enabling The Satanic Temple to apply for faith-based government grants,” according to a press release sent to Rolling Stone.

Although the Satanic Temple had previously rejected pursuing tax-exempt status, church president Lucien Greaves reversed this stance in 2017 after President Trump signed a “religious freedom” executive order. “As ‘the religious’ are increasingly gaining ground as a privileged class, we must ensure that this privilege is available to all, and that superstition doesn’t gain exclusive rights over non-theistic religions or non-belief,” Greaves wrote in the Satanic Temple newsletter (yes, apparently there is a Satanic Temple newsletter), adding that the group should move to ensure that “atheistic and secular non-profits, advancing a distinct religious opinion and/or opinion upon religion, are themselves rightful beneficiaries of religious tax exemption as well.”

Party on, Beelzebuddy!
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#53 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

Man I should be fundraising off this shouln't I?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#54 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 25 April 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Tax free my man demon!

#55 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 25 April 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Yep. People can't sell you their souls if you don't have the money to pay for them. Personally I'd like to see you make Jerry Falwell Jr. or Franklin Graham an offer they can't refuse--although you might have trouble gaining clear title to their souls.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#56 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 25 April 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

Yep. People can't sell you their souls if you don't have the money to pay for them. Personally I'd like to see you make Jerry Falwell Jr. or Franklin Graham an offer they can't refuse--although you might have trouble gaining clear title to their souls.

You can't buy what doesn't exist. Of course I have no doubt you could get scammed from these two lifelong scam artists.

#57 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 25 April 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

--although you might have trouble gaining clear title to their souls.
Our Beelzebuddy has already registered them. They aren't for sale.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#58 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:00 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 25 April 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

Our Beelzebuddy has already registered them. They aren't for sale.

Trump thinks he owns them. Of course whether they were ever paid for is another matter...

#59 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7881 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

I smell a lawsuit coming.. Or is that just sulfur???
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#60 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

View PostLFC, on 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

You can't buy what doesn't exist. Of course I have no doubt you could get scammed from these two lifelong scam artists.

But people are buying what doesn't exist, all the time! It's become a defining attribute of capitalism, especially in the fields of media and politics. I recall a quote from a British MP many years ago: "I can't understand why people always say there's no such thing as a free lunch. I've had hundreds of free lunches in my career".
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users