First an Atheist Monument in FL, Now a Satanic Monument in OK?

59 replies to this topic

#21 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 December 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

If they held services that serve beer, I could become downright devout.

BYOB services do exist. Unfortunately, the last word is Bible.

#22 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

I am going to visit the Mobius Strip Club (aka infinity)

#23 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29115 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 22 December 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

I am going to visit the Mobius Strip Club (aka infinity)

Isn't this disproven by the fact that there is a point when there is simply nothing left for the stripper to take off?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#24 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 December 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Isn't this disproven by the fact that there is a point when there is simply nothing left for the stripper to take off?

Quite the opposite. It's a smooth continuous curve - with no end.

#25 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Apropos of... well... you'll see...

https://www.youtube....h?v=eovuIfeH2k4

You only need to watch for the first few minutes to get the entire joke, but (surprisingly) these are actually really good functional recipes!
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#26 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

WOO HOOO!!!!

http://www.addicting...-go-home-video/

#27 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29115 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

View Postdrdredel, on 15 January 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

WOO HOOO!!!!

The link changed...

http://www.addicting...-christians-do/
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29115 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

Since they had to sneak the illegally placed Ten Commandments statue out of the Oklahoma Capitol grounds under cover of darkness, the governor of that state is trying to get it back through the popular vote. Apparently she doesn't grasp the meaning of "unconstitutional" and thinks all laws she doesn't like should be up for a popularity contest. A spokeperson for the Satanic Temple summed it up beautifully.

This prompted the Satanic Temple to call in no uncertain terms for Fallin’s removal from office, describing her an “embarrassment.” The organization became a key player in the case when members commissioned a goat-headed Baphomet statue to be placed at the capitol if the Ten Commandments stayed.

“Proselytizing politicians with a self-serving, laughably contorted view of the First Amendment have become an epidemic in the United States that is in desperate need of being addressed,” wrote Temple co-founder Lucien Greaves in an email to Raw Story. “We ignore Mary Fallin’s expensive and pointless buffoonery at our own peril. She’s not only a disgrace to Oklahoma, she’s a disgrace to the entire nation.”

Greaves called Fallin and politicians like her a threat to the principles the nation was founded on.

“Fallin, and the many like her who now populate our offices of public service with a focused agenda to establish theocratic norms, threaten our very foundations, and it’s well past time that they should bear consequences for — not only a failure to uphold their oaths of office — but their attempts to actively undermine them,” he wrote.

#29 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7907 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

The organization became a key player in the case when members commissioned a goat-headed Baphomet statue to be placed at the capitol if the Ten Commandments stayed.

Posted Image
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29115 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

Here's a clear example of the difference between Christians and others when it comes to religious displays. In the predominantly Jewish town of Lakewood, NJ, they display a menorah and a Christmas tree. Sounds fair, right? Well some Christianist has threatened to sue because there's no nativity scene and the Christmas tree isn't Christian enough. Note that she was not refused permission to put up a nativity scene. If she was then I'd actually support her case wholeheartedly.

A menorah celebrating the Jewish holiday Hanukkah was removed from a holiday display in a predominantly Jewish town in New Jersey after a Christian woman threatened to sue because there was no nativity scene, the Asbury Park Press reports.

The township of Lakewood has for decades displayed a Christmas tree and menorah, reflecting the demographic of its residents, the Park Press reports. It was abruptly taken down by officials this year though, who feared litigation after Vivian Knight threatened a lawsuit. Now that the issue has become public and sparked an indignant reaction locally, the pastor of her Calvary Lighthouse church is distancing himself from her.

The result, as the Park Press points out though, is that the township now only has a Christmas display, which makes it look like its favoring one religion — the very scenario that tends to lead to litigation in the first place.

According to Fios1, the menorah was returned to its place by the Christmas tree briefly Thursday, but again hauled away in the back of a pick-up truck. The news outlet offered no details as to why it was removed again.

“Up and down the street there’s Christmas wreaths on every light pole. I don’t really care that much,” said shop owner Harold Herskowitz. But, ““the fact that there’s a Christmas tree on the lake (Lake Carasaljo) and a massive Christmas tree on Town Square and no mention of Hanukkah is a serious problem, because it looks like Lakewood is promoting Christianity.”

#31 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Of course if the Christmas tree came down there would be screams about the "war on Christmas".

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#32 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5813 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Cities are so cash strapped. They can't afford to be involved in litigation over this symbolic one-up-manship. Better to say nothing will go on public property.

#33 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 10 December 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Cities are so cash strapped. They can't afford to be involved in litigation over this symbolic one-up-manship. Better to say nothing will go on public property.

Yeah but, they still did the tree (it appears more than one), plus wreaths along the street, so they only dropped the minors to avoid a suite which they probably could have won. Or, get towns people/groups to do/fund ALL the displays.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#34 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13201 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

One of my projects is in Lakewood. The neighborhood around Georgian Court (Catholic) is so filled with Hasidim as to be a ghetto in the original sense of the word, except it is in no way poor. But most certainly only Jewish. There are virtually no gentiles walking around. Its a real neighborhood with a ton of folks on the street in sidelocks or beards.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#35 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 December 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

Here's a clear example of the difference between Christians and others when it comes to religious displays. In the predominantly Jewish town of Lakewood, NJ, they display a menorah and a Christmas tree. Sounds fair, right? Well some Christianist has threatened to sue because there's no nativity scene and the Christmas tree isn't Christian enough. Note that she was not refused permission to put up a nativity scene. If she was then I'd actually support her case wholeheartedly.

So was she presented with that option? That would be a way out of the lawsuit too, no?

Christianists nowdays (most of them) are all "Christian-Judeo ethic" and all that. Jews have special dispensation. For now.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#36 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostBanty, on 11 December 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

So was she presented with that option? That would be a way out of the lawsuit too, no?

Christianists nowdays (most of them) are all "Christian-Judeo ethic" and all that. Jews have special dispensation. For now.

Don't know, but then there is the chance of a Santanic display, Festivus pole or whatever someone comes up with for FSM being added, per the topic on this thread.

As I noted earlier, the same Christians will complain if the tree is abandoned - WAR on Christmas!

Related story, someone from our local museum was talking about a nearby re-created Colonial village that for years refused to do a Christmas display because it was a-historical, pre revolutionary Americans didn't decorate or celebrate Christmas other than to go to church. A few years ago they relented, but tell people as they tour that all of these things post-date the era, and it is among their biggest money making events.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#37 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29115 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

The group that normally displayed a nativity scene on the Florida Capitol grounds has decided not to do so this year, though a menorah, a Festivus pole, and maybe an FSM display will be. Perhaps a little sanity is being regained.

“My hope is that the Christ in Christmas is louder than a wood display and some figurines,” Pam Olsen, president of the Florida Prayer Network, explained to the Miami Herald.

“I have been pondering this for a while,” Olsen said. “The racial tensions and mass murders, the shootings at the Planned Parenthood and in California – something is very wrong in our country. We need to step back and say we need to stop. Let the sound of the Christ Child bring hope, joy and peace instead of dissension.”

The Florida State Capitol has displayed a Christmas tree and menorah for many years. But holiday displays became a source of controversy in 2013 when state officials turned the rotunda into an open forum to allow a Nativity scene, provoking secular groups to ask for their own displays to be allowed.

The controversy lead some to declare that Florida was the frontline in the “war on Christmas.”

I think this sums it up well.

The group Americans United for the Separation of Church and State said the message to government should be clear.

“Let this saga be a lesson to government officials who want to promote religion in public buildings. It’s just not worth the trouble,” the group wrote. “There are plenty of private spaces where religious symbols can be displayed. Government buildings should focus on government business – and that should never include promoting religion.”

#38 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 11 December 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Don't know, but then there is the chance of a Santanic display, Festivus pole or whatever someone comes up with for FSM being added, per the topic on this thread.

As I noted earlier, the same Christians will complain if the tree is abandoned - WAR on Christmas!

Related story, someone from our local museum was talking about a nearby re-created Colonial village that for years refused to do a Christmas display because it was a-historical, pre revolutionary Americans didn't decorate or celebrate Christmas other than to go to church. A few years ago they relented, but tell people as they tour that all of these things post-date the era, and it is among their biggest money making events.

Interesting (and hilarious given the Founding Father fixation of most of the current Christianists).
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#39 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostBanty, on 11 December 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Interesting (and hilarious given the Founding Father fixation of most of the current Christianists).

Remember the Puritan prohibition on any celebration of Christmas? It's Popery, tell yah!

https://en.m.wikiped...tan_New_England

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#40 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

I had a fully surreal experience this afternoon whereby my family and I went to buy a Christmas tree near Placerville because my wife thought it would be fun for our 3 year old to enjoy the volunteer run Christmas Stage Coach ride that happens to be free.

As it turned out the stage coach was run by (extremely merry) fanatics. There were signs on each side of the carriage that read "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" and the level of aggression with which the stage coach drivers spat "Merry Christmas" at everyone on the streets was quite viscerally intimidating.

The biggest irony was that I felt it would be inappropriate (possibly rude) to wish them a happy Hanukkah in spite of the fact that today was the 7th day of Hanukkah (and Christmas is still two wretched jingle filled weeks away).

This is the first time that I've been on the front lines in the War on Christmas™ and I have to say - while I lost this battle - I'm now really motivated to win the war.

It did make me curious though - What's the official day when you're supposed to start saying "merry christmas"? It feels like it's somewhere midway through September, but I haven't read the official rules anywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users