19 replies to this topic

#1 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10362 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

No more speculation. Liz Cheney is, indeed, going to challenge Wyoming incumbent Republican Senator Mike Enzi for one of Wyoming's Senate seats next year. Given that Enzi is one of the most conservative Republicans in the Senate, this is going to be interesting. It may already be too late to make a mint on popcorn futures.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=M6bqsHcmJJA
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Liz Cheney, a woman whose only qualification to serve in public office is that her daddy is a international war criminal.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 dsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3654 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Don't know anything about her and don't need to know given her last name.

#4 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10362 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Postdsp, on 17 July 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Don't know anything about her and don't need to know given her last name.

That's why she has such a good chance of being elected -- the voters of Wyoming don't need to know any more either.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13973 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Do I hear Entry Of The Gladiators?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#6 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

It would be much more interesting if his other daughter, Mary Cheney, were running.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Quote complements of Sullivan:

“Perhaps the Republican Party needs to hit rock bottom and Liz Cheney is the last shot of rail tequila before the conservative movement blacks out, wakes up and heads to a meeting,” – Jon Lovett.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#8 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10362 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 July 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

“Perhaps the Republican Party needs to hit rock bottom

But is this what the Party will recognize as "rock bottom?"

and Liz Cheney is the last shot of rail tequila before the conservative movement blacks out, wakes up and heads to a meeting

What if, in your circles, blacking out and waking up under a table is considered not only normal but desirable?
— Nate Silver

#9 Baron Siegfried

A renaissance man in a post modern world

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSW Fla

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 17 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

That's why she has such a good chance of being elected -- the voters of Wyoming don't need to know any more either.
I dunno - they also know that she moved to Wyoming specifically to run for the Senate, and has been there less than a year. I doubt very seriously that even with her father's name recognition they're going to take warmly to a carpetbagger. Especially one who's going after one of the most conservative republicans in Washington, accusing him of being 'too compromising'. However, I really hope that the GOP primary turns into a well-publicized bloodbath. Hasn't been any really good public mayhem since they closed the Circus Maximus . . .
Ye Truthe Schalle Set Ye Free,
Erst Shalt It Pisse Thee Offe

#10 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10362 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Well, Baron, we can hope. We can indeed hope.
— Nate Silver

#11 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9376 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

And today she sheepishly crawled into the ring to retrieve her hat...what a disaster. Acorn, tree, all that.

#12 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Are those family health issues, or "family health" issues?

Not having her own house in order about her plans, and her positions, showed her to be too self-centered and dumb to hold this office. That, and how she would displace a perfectly good popular incumbent, one that she offered nothing real that should distinguish herself from him.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#13 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Funny but every time the reporters write "family health issues" it shows up on my screen as "unfavorable polling numbers".

Whatever, good news is good news. (Frankly, I'd support a constitutional amendment banning anyone from running for any office held by either of their parents. Only half joking about that too, I've had it with the nepotism.)
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#14 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9376 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

A little of both. The poll numbers made her very ill.

#15 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8182 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

LOVE this. Carpetbagging is as old as Lucifer (Liz's daddy, of course), but not always successful. Because Liz never actually lived in WY, she never understood the people. Nobody was charmed by her "biographical" magic whereby she is "lives" in Jackson Hole (where the money is) but is "from" Casper, where the biggest population center is. She got run out on a rail this time. I toss in $1 to bet that she gets out of that state as fast as possible to try this somewhere else.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#16 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

View Postcmk, on 06 January 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

Funny but every time the reporters write "family health issues" it shows up on my screen as "unfavorable polling numbers".

Whatever, good news is good news. (Frankly, I'd support a constitutional amendment banning anyone from running for any office held by either of their parents. Only half joking about that too, I've had it with the nepotism.)

Do we know of any actual new health issues? Daddy's rented ticker needs to go back?
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016

#17 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8126 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

Liz Cheney, citing "serious health issues" in her family, is ending her campaign for a U.S. Senate seat in Wyoming.

She must be talking about her genes.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#18 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 06 January 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

LOVE this. Carpetbagging is as old as Lucifer (Liz's daddy, of course), but not always successful. Because Liz never actually lived in WY, she never understood the people. Nobody was charmed by her "biographical" magic whereby she is "lives" in Jackson Hole (where the money is) but is "from" Casper, where the biggest population center is. She got run out on a rail this time. I toss in $1 to bet that she gets out of that state as fast as possible to try this somewhere else.

I was NOT happy with Hillary Clinton for carpetbagging to NY, so unhappy I voted for the GOP candidate the first time around.

*Now* I'd say the Clintons are well-established New Yorkers, but that wasn't then.

So it works sometimes, but NY is different from WY. We had a Kennedy as a senator some time back; Tom Lehrer quipped that Massachusetts was the only state with three senators.

#19 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Her sister has a severe case of same sex marriage--maybe Michelle Bachmann's husband will be able to pray it away.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 06 January 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

I toss in $1 to bet that she gets out of that state as fast as possible to try this somewhere else.

But what state? Maybe Faux News, which could be viewed as an altered state since it has little grasp on reality.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users