137 replies to this topic

#121 Raskolnik

Brainwashed Bigot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationSukhāvatī

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Limited internet access but real quick in re: Christian ethics; Renaissance humanism (the direct intellectual precursor of lower case l-liberalism) was functionally a reexamination of what Christianity had to say about the human person and the human body--artistically, theologically, philosophically. It was also a consciously Christian take on classical Greek and Roman civilization, the main contrast with the latter being the Christian emphasis on human dignity and gender equality. It's hard to appreciate from our vantage point, but Christianity established a place for women that simply hadn't existed in Greek or Near Eastern society--and there's a reason it was so popular with slaves like Spartacus. The point, to reiterate, is that in Western society the rhetoric of equality was utterly dependent on Christianity; Buddhism played a similar role in Asia but is irrelevant as long as we're talking about European and (post-)colonial American civilizations.

#122 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14029 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

You're invoking a chicken or egg argument, even if unintentional.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#123 Raskolnik

Brainwashed Bigot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationSukhāvatī

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

The egg came first.

#124 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14029 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Then where did the egg come from?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#125 Raskolnik

Brainwashed Bigot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationSukhāvatī

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

The first unique chicken came from the first recognizably chickenesque egg, which was a mutation from a non-chicken avian precursor.

All joking aside, I get your point, but I think the arrow of causality is stronger than you seem willing to acknowledge. But maybe you could say more about your view?

#126 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10399 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostRaskolnik, on 14 July 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

The first unique chicken came from the first recognizably chickenesque egg, which was a mutation from a non-chicken avian precursor.

And of course you define "chickenesque egg" as one which hatches a chicken. Begging the question.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#127 Raskolnik

Brainwashed Bigot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationSukhāvatī

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 July 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

And of course you define "chickenesque egg" as one which hatches a chicken. Begging the question.

Not at all. At a molecular genetic level, the first chicken hatched from the first egg. The bird that laid that egg was not a chicken, it was a distinct species. This is basic evolutionary biology.

#128 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10399 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostRaskolnik, on 15 July 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

Not at all. At a molecular genetic level, the first chicken hatched from the first egg. The bird that laid that egg was not a chicken, it was a distinct species. This is basic evolutionary biology.

Actually, if you're going to go technical it wasn't a distinct species. Said "first chicken" (assuming male) was quite interfertile with its mother. Gradual process and all that.

The "chicken/egg" question is philosophical and diving into biology to "solve" it is just a distraction.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#129 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14029 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostRaskolnik, on 14 July 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

All joking aside, I get your point, but I think the arrow of causality is stronger than you seem willing to acknowledge. But maybe you could say more about your view?

View PostRaskolnik, on 13 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Limited internet access but real quick in re: Christian ethics; Renaissance humanism (the direct intellectual precursor of lower case l-liberalism) was functionally a reexamination of what Christianity had to say about the human person and the human body--artistically, theologically, philosophically. It was also a consciously Christian take on classical Greek and Roman civilization, the main contrast with the latter being the Christian emphasis on human dignity and gender equality. It's hard to appreciate from our vantage point, but Christianity established a place for women that simply hadn't existed in Greek or Near Eastern society--and there's a reason it was so popular with slaves like Spartacus. The point, to reiterate, is that in Western society the rhetoric of equality was utterly dependent on Christianity; Buddhism played a similar role in Asia but is irrelevant as long as we're talking about European and (post-)colonial American civilizations.
It just seems as you are making an assumption of one influencing one without wanting to recognize the other direction is just as true. Modern Christianity has been shaped as much by Western thought if not more so. Civilization is built on top of what preceded it. No one here has denied the influence of Christianity on Western Civilization, but we also recognize there is a lot more than just Christianity that has shaped this country.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#130 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10399 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostAnBr, on 15 July 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

It just seems as you are making an assumption of one influencing one without wanting to recognize the other direction is just as true. Modern Christianity has been shaped as much by Western thought if not more so.

Come on -- admit it. It was a ROTFLMAO moment when DSP cited the post-Vatican II catechism in support of claims that the Catholic Church had always stood for full equality of all people.
— Nate Silver

#131 Raskolnik

Brainwashed Bigot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationSukhāvatī

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Stumbled across this again recently (it's a few months old) and I thought it was relevant to the prior discussion about Marx vis-a-vis liberal and radical feminist ideology. It's worth reading the introduction to this article, at the very least, just to get a sense of how close Faludi was to the other radical feminists and how much of an influence she--and, by extension, Marxist analysis applied to the sexes as opposed to classes--had on leftist feminist discourse.

Firestone was best known for her writing. Notes from the First Year, a periodical she founded in 1968 (followed, in 1970 and 1971, by the Second Year and the Third Year), generated the fundamental discourse of radical feminism, introducing such concepts as “the personal is political” and “the myth of the vaginal orgasm.” Most of all, Firestone is remembered for “The Dialectic of Sex,” a book that she wrote in a fervor, in a matter of months.

In some two hundred pages, “Dialectic” reinterpreted Marx, Engels, and Freud to make a case that a “sexual class system” ran deeper than any other social or economic divide. The traditional family structure, Firestone argued, was at the core of women’s oppression. “Unless revolution uproots the basic social organization, the biological family—the vinculum through which the psychology of power can always be smuggled—the tapeworm of exploitation will never be annihilated,” Firestone wrote.

#132 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5153 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

So back to the original topic of this thread, since Vermont is something like 97% white, then wouldn't the Republicans' strategy have to have them winning it by a margin of about 85%. Not only that, but Bernie Sanders and Howard Dean would have to become Republicans.

Just wondered if Charles can foresee this happening? ;)
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#133 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8189 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

And to REALLY tie it back...Brit Hume is replacing Greta Van Susteren at Fox, for at least through the election. A man who used to be a great reporter, who's now just a mouth breather with brain enough to keep thought, care, and truth out of his reporting. Mostly, I think he might think he's qualified to replace Ailes. Seriously.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#134 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4594 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 08 September 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

Mostly, I think he might think he's qualified to replace Ailes. Seriously.

Ah, but as what? As Le Grand Fromage, or as the house perv?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#135 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4594 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

To forestall LFC's skewed sense of humour: just calling yourself Brit doesn't make you one.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#136 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8189 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 08 September 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

Ah, but as what? As Le Grand Fromage, or as the house perv?

Big Cheese, for sure. But Hume has coasted, for decades, on his early hard-reporting self. He still fancies himself as that person- a hard newsman , even though he's nothing, now, but a paid perspective screecher. I back away from the house perv- haven't ever heard Hume rumors in that vein.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#137 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31793 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 08 September 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

To forestall LFC's skewed sense of humour: just calling yourself Brit doesn't make you one.

I always that "Brit Hume" was some hoidy toidy compost mixture.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#138 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2731 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostLFC, on 08 September 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

I always that "Brit Hume" was some hoidy toidy compost mixture.

With "Brit" in the name, I assume you must be speaking of this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users