What Does Boy Scouts Of America Have In Common With The Catholic Church?

23 replies to this topic

#21 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:11 PM

The case count is now up to 90,000. I wonder if bankruptcy protection can save the Boy Scouts with this much scandal.

On Monday, Gayle’s claims were among the nearly 90,000 filed by the deadline in the Boy Scouts’ federal bankruptcy case – the largest-ever child sex abuse case involving a single national organization.

“There’s nothing about me that’s the least bit unique,” he said. “There needs to be a face to this, not some abstract idea.”

Those who missed the Nov. 16 deadline are barred from filing suit against the national organization in the future. As a result, filing of proof of claim forms accelerated in recent weeks, and especially over the weekend. Lawyers for abuse survivors on Friday said about 63,000 had been filed and they then expected the total to exceed 70,000 by the deadline.

The total claims far exceed the number expected when Boy Scouts of America first filed for bankruptcy in February. At the time, the organization said it faced 275 lawsuits in state and federal courts, plus another 1,400 potential claims.

The Boy Scouts organization has faced civil litigation since a 2010 case resulted in $19.9 million in damages, the largest ever for a single individual against the organization. As a result of that case, the Scouts were forced to release more than 20,000 confidential documents.

Those records, which became known as the “perversion files,” showed the youth organization tracked suspected and known abusers but didn’t consistently report them to the police or notify the public.

“Even for me, who probably has been doing this since the beginning, I couldn’t see it coming,” said Paul Mones, who tried that landmark 2010 case. “Not these numbers.”

Mones represents about 400 clients in the case.

The majority of claims, more than 55,000, came from the Coalition of Abused Scouts for Justice, a group of 10 law firms that U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Laurie Selber Silverstein last month allowed to join mediation discussions.

The size of the coalition gives it significant influence in a vote on any potential settlement.

In a statement, the Boy Scouts said, “We are devastated by the number of lives impacted by past abuse in Scouting and moved by the bravery of those who came forward. … The response we have seen from survivors has been gut wrenching. We are deeply sorry.”

Lawyers representing the potential victims say the total is likely an undercount of boys victimized in Scouting over the organization’s 100-year history.

Current membership is fewer than 2 million, but the organization said it had more than 4 million members at its peak in the 1970s. In general, sexual abuse is often not reported and clients have told the attorneys that they know of others who were abused but would not come forward.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#22 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:12 PM

The Boy Scouts of America will be selling off hundreds of pieces of art to help settle the 95,000 sexual abuse claims against them. A number of them are by Norman Rockwell who had a long history with the organization.

At least 95,000 former scouts have sued the 111-year-old organization for compensation over alleged sexual abuse committed by scout leaders spanning decades.

As part of a reorganization plan filed in a bankruptcy court in Delaware on Monday, the Boy Scouts listed hundreds of artworks it would sell to help fund the settlements.

Among them were 59 pieces by renowned American painter and illustrator Rockwell dating from 1916 to 1976.

The 379-page filing did not put a value on each piece of artwork and it is unclear how much they are worth.

The Boy Scouts of America, founded in 1910, has been rocked by the sexual abuse scandal that came to light in 2012.

The organization has received eight times the number of complaints filed against the Catholic Church, according to lawyers.

The BSA filed for bankruptcy in February in an effort to block settlement claims from hitting the organization directly and instead redirect them to the compensation fund.

The fund aims to raise $300 million, according to US media.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#23 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:35 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 March 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

The Boy Scouts of America will be selling off hundreds of pieces of art to help settle the 95,000 sexual abuse claims against them. A number of them are by Norman Rockwell who had a long history with the organization.

With that history who would buy this stuff? Ironic aside: one of my daughter's contemporaries is an Eagle Scout. About one year after he achieved the status he came out as gay. We've always snickered about the Boy Scouts thinking they were so superior and anti gay in light of the abuse claims and the fact that a gay kid could achieve the highest honor right under their noses.

#24 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:45 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 03 March 2021 - 07:35 PM, said:

Ironic aside: one of my daughter's contemporaries is an Eagle Scout. About one year after he achieved the status he came out as gay. We've always snickered about the Boy Scouts thinking they were so superior and anti gay in light of the abuse claims and the fact that a gay kid could achieve the highest honor right under their noses.

Your daughter's contemporary is far, far from alone, I suspect. An acquaintance of mine made Eagle a couple of years ago (in the same troop Dear Son was in during 2016 & 2017; sports was the deal-breaker for him). Within about two months after that milestone his Momma started posting on her social media all these LGBTQ-allied posts (she didn't have that much of a history of such posts heretofore), and the kid himself had a couple of hints on his public-facing page as well. I can't say I know for certain, but it has made me go Hmmmm.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users