What Does Boy Scouts Of America Have In Common With The Catholic Church?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hidden sexual abuse of children would be one thing.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#2 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7751 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Wow... hundreds of cases? I knew there were some, but not that many. But as they say, if one is attracted to kids, go to where the kids are.

What Does Boy Scouts Of America Have In Common With The Catholic Church?

In addition to child molestors:

Cute little uniforms in which to dress the kiddies.
Fear of homosexuality.
Old, established 'respected' organization who wants to keep their reputation clean, no matter what.

It never occurred to me how similar boyscouts are to altar boys - kids who are striving to do the right things but who are victimized instead.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#3 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Less than two months ago, I was asked by a close friend if I would be willing to be one of the accompanying adults who go on hiking/camping trips with her twin sons' Boy Scout troop. I have been their honorary uncle since they were born, and I love the outdoors, so of course I said "sure". There was one pro forma technicality--I had to watch an online training video and afterwards take an online test regarding it. No sweat, I did it. Now I'm "certified", or something like that.

However, the video itself seriously creeped me out. Most of it was geared to the prevention of sexual abuse, although there was also a minor theme regarding bullying prevention. I appreciate the dangers of both and am glad that the Scouts are taking these issues seriously, but there was nothing else. Nothing about all the other responsibilities involved in shepherding a bunch of teen and pre-teen boys. Nothing (so far as I can recall) regarding drugs and alcohol. Nothing about physical safety. Nothing about Scouts' possible medical issues. Not even anything about providing a good example. I was a Scout as a boy. I had a good troop. I'm quite sure we didn't have the big issues that that video warned against. For that, I am truly grateful. But I'm also damn glad that wasn't all the men involved in my troop were thinking about.

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27422 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 25 September 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Wow... hundreds of cases? I knew there were some, but not that many. But as they say, if one is attracted to kids, go to where the kids are.

Yeeeeaaaahhh, it looks like "hundreds" is at least an order of magnitude off. If what I saw on the news crawler this AM is true it's at least two orders of magnitude off with known cases stretching way back. Here's some of the figures. The part of the article preceding this concerns the multiple tidal waves of lawsuits the organization is facing. I suspect this could potentially destroy the organization.

Since the 1920s, the Boy Scouts have been compiling “ineligible files,” which list adult volunteers considered to pose a risk of child molestation. About 5,000 of these files have been made public as a result of court action; others remain confidential.

Delimarkos said when any BSA volunteer is added to the database for suspected abuse, “they are reported to law enforcement, removed entirely from any Scouting program and prohibited from re-joining anywhere.”

Minnesota-based attorney Jeff Anderson, who had led many lawsuits against the Catholic Church, released a court deposition in New York on Tuesday in which an expert hired by the Boy Scouts said she tallied 7,819 individuals in the “ineligible files” as of January, as well as 12,254 victims.

Anderson expressed hope that litigation triggered by New York’s new Child Victims Act would increase pressure on the Boy Scouts to make public more of the still-confidential files.

Some of the files were ordered released after a 2010 sexual abuse case in Portland, Oregon, that led to a nearly $20 million judgment against the Boy Scouts on behalf of a man molested by a Scout leader in the 1980s.

Paul Mones, the plaintiff’s lawyer in that case, said there are no overall figures on Boy Scout abuse settlements because the details are kept confidential.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users