4 replies to this topic

#1 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8119 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

British watchdog organizations and L'Oreal are tangling over ads featuring an extremely airbrushed Julia Roberts hawking their new miracle make-up. Britain has banned the ads, citing concerns over product claims vs. actual product performance. L'Oreal insists that the pic "accurately illustrates" the effects of their product while freely admitting that it's been digitally manipulated AND asserting that the photo is "aspirational in nature".

http://www.cnn.com/2...WORLD/europe/07 ... &hpt=hp_c2

My particular giggle is over the comparison of the "airbrushed" photo with a "real" photo of Ms. Roberts. The giggle? At almost 50, Ms. Roberts projects an "aspirational" picture. Not only does nobody look like her heavily photoshopped portrait, she herself doesn't even actually look like her "real" photo- at least not without Botox, fillers and a multi-billion dollar industry to hawk it as reality. But it's easy to sell something that people desperately want, even though sanity would suggest that, at some point, we're going to wake up to our own reflected image to the shock of our lives: No, 65 isn't the new 40.

The Salesmen of the Apocalypse perfectly mirror the beauty industry. The GOP's been airbrushing its own image since 1980, but they haven't looked like what they portray-fiscal responsibility- since Reagan took office. Since then, their major fiscal management has been to rack up debt over debt and leave it for others to deal with. Along the way, they've continue to present the aspirational picture that Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility, that GOP alone juices up the economy, that Democrats are the out-of-control tax-and-spend crowd. And no matter the evidence to the contrary, Republicans continue to buy what's sold.

Give me a great cosmetic magician, and I could give Julia's lineless image a run for her money. Give me a credit card with an unlimited balance (and no responsibility to pay it back) and I, too, could mimic the Reagan years-the only "prosperity" the GOP has shown in my entire adult life. Just don't ask me to buy that it's anything but smoke, mirrors and good lighting.

If there's one good thing that could come out of the debt crisis, it would be for all aspirational Republicans to wake up and see the GOP as it really is, without fillers, Botox or Daddy Fed's credit card. By all means, stay conservative- whatever that means anymore. Just don't be fooled by the message masters who would have you believe (today) that this whole thing is the fault of the evil Tea Party.

The GOP willingly cultivated the village idiots to do their nasty business, and the shaky world markets, the downgrading of US credit and all the rest to follow is at their feet. Like a vain, aging actress who hasn't done anything significant in over 30 years, the Party is showing its age. Time to take a good, hard look in the mirror.

Honest, open-palmed question: How can any reasonable person continue an affiliation with the GOP?
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#2 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

PG: Very glad to have you here. You've always been a real voice of experience and wisdom.

As a photographer myself I'm tempted to comment on the airbrushing issue, but since most of you aren't, and since your intention was clearly to use it as analogy, I'll spare y'all the boring ranting. :) But if anyone thinks makeup ads are deceiving, they've got nothing on product ads. Buy a box of "HotPockets" sometime and compare what's on the box to what's in it. It's outright fraud, IMO.

As for the GOP, well, all politicians and parties airbrush their images. The problem comes in when they start to actually believe the fake images are the real ones. The GOP has made manipulation, dishonesty and nihilism its stock in trade. I agree that the tea party is only part of the problem. The tea party was never a real movement anyway, it was just more manipulation towards the ultimate goal of getting power and enriching the rich.

The only honest, non-sarcastic answer I can give to the last question is to point out that the Democrats are not exactly anything great to get excited about either.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8119 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for a few days but just got it together to actually register.

As for the GOP, well, all politicians and parties airbrush their images. The problem comes in when they start to actually believe the fake images are the real ones.

Just as in your example of HotPockets, the biggest fraud becomes when the consumer believes in the distorted images. I don't quibble with anybody having strong political ideas that may differ from mine. What I rage at is those whose continue to sell a bag of BS that hasn't been true for 3 decades. When "aspriational" becomes the sole product sold, we end up with the average American Republican defending the ridiculous, like it's reasonable for a Wall Street power broker to pay less in taxes than his secretary, or that rich people should get the same tax break that middle and lower class Americans should, even if that means that we borrow it.

Thanks for creating the Forum. We'll all have to think of ways to spread it out for greater participation. I know that you don't like to comment on other blogs simply to drive your own traffic, but there are many over at the FF who may not know about the changes youve made. We should all think about the best ways to alert fellow travelers.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#4 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

What I rage at is those whose continue to sell a bag of BS that hasn't been true for 3 decades. When "aspriational" becomes the sole product sold, we end up with the average American Republican defending the ridiculous, like it's reasonable for a Wall Street power broker to pay less in taxes than his secretary, or that rich people should get the same tax break that middle and lower class Americans should, even if that means that we borrow it.

Which is why they hide those issues, and appeal to people who are not interested in facts or policies, but who vote based on identity politics and touchy-feely bullshit. People who will vote against their interests because the guy who tells them to is "like me". People dense enough to actually think Sean Hannity is an "ordinary guy".

Thanks for creating the Forum. We'll all have to think of ways to spread it out for greater participation. I know that you don't like to comment on other blogs simply to drive your own traffic, but there are many over at the FF who may not know about the changes youve made. We should all think about the best ways to alert fellow travelers.

I don't like being the victim of spam so I avoid doing it to others, just to be internally consistent. I think word will get around in time. The best way to grow a forum while keeping its quality high is through word of mouth and private invites anyway.

Thanks PG.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#5 RebuildtheGOP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

That's a nice analogy you use.

"How can any reasonable person continue an affiliation with the GOP?"

I think it's more like "How can any well-informed person continue an affiliation with the GOP?" The tea loons are all convinced that talk radio, FOX, and knuckledragger blogs like RedState and FreeRepublic provide cogent, factual analysis of the news.

For more I'd recommend:

http://rationalwiki....istemic_closure
"One is elected by one’s positions, and if he tries to be something other than what he is, in the long run, disaster befalls him."

"Political action committees and moneyed interests are setting the nation's political agenda. Are we saying that only the rich have brains in this country? Or only people who have influential friends who have money can be in the Senate?"

"I would like to see us do away with all nuclear weapons. I just want to make sure they're all gone."

"A conservative is a person who wants to apply the proven values of the past to the problems and challenges of today. It's a dynamic living philosophy, just as our Constitution is a living document subject to new interpretations in view of changing circumstances."

"We Republicans define government's role where needed at many, many levels, preferably through the one closest to the people involved ... Our towns and our cities, then our counties, then our states..."

-Barry Goldwater

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users