19 replies to this topic

#1 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

Does this mean Obama will be delivering the keynote there? I mean, we all know he's the only one who ever uses them.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#2 Morrisminor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hah, after 5 years the same bunch of lame-ohs use the teleprompter meme, while reading from one themselves

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8172 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's only for the photo-op...As in, let's get a picture of Newt using a teleprompter.

I can't seem to find a good way to post, but Google Image search "Sarah Palin teleprompter" and you'll not only see her using a teleprompter during the '08 campaign, you'll see her clearly reading from a teleprompter at numerous campaign events, including the RNC convention. At most of these stops, she "busted" Obama for using a teleprompter, at the prompting of her teleprompter.

Ditto, Romney.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#4 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

This one? (sorry, I can't seem to space these any better with the words...)

OR this one?Posted ImagePosted Image
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#5 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

The sign that you're dealing with a real right-wing moron, though, is when they lambaste Obama for using a teleprompter during a debate.

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#6 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postcmk, on 10 February 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

The sign that you're dealing with a real right-wing moron, though, is when they lambaste Obama for using a teleprompter during a debate.

Well, of course. That just proves the lame-stream, liberal media has given Obama the questions beforehand. ;)

#7 CanadianLiberal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

I wish there was a "like" button for this whole thread!
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes." ~ Walt Whitman

#8 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5111 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Sarah Palin´s teleprompter even has phoneticized spelling, as in "Terrorist states are seeking new-clear weapons"
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#9 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

We all know why. It's hard keeping track of all the lies.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#10 Zen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

The Teleprompter thing was simply purely partisan hackery. Everyone uses a teleprompter, including Reagan -- ever since they were invented. Before that people used cue cards. To only point that finger at Obama, and try to making something out of this is nonsense.

#11 Baron Siegfried

A renaissance man in a post modern world

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSW Fla

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

When you can't find real poo to throw, you have to make your own . . .
Ye Truthe Schalle Set Ye Free,
Erst Shalt It Pisse Thee Offe

#12 balconesfault

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

To only point that finger at Obama, and try to making something out of this is nonsense.

What about Obama is different from any other President?

Not nice to call people racists ... but the GOP makes it way too easy, way too often, to come to that conclusion.

#13 Raskolnik

Brainwashed Bigot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationSukhāvatī

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

baw, do you have a reference for that claim about Sarah Palin? I don't doubt its veracity but I'm curious as to the source....

#14 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

While I do think there is more racism in the GOP than most like to admit, in the case of attacking Obama using a teleprompter, I think it has more to do with his natural eloquence than the color of his skin. Like him or not, the man has speaking charisma, and the primary thing the repubs have to fight that is saying his delivery is not really natural at all, but that he cheats!!. He uses a, gasp, teleprompter!!!

I'd like to think this sort of childishness wouldn't work, but just as you'll never go broke under-estimating the public's taste, sadly you'll never lose an election under-estimating the electorate's intelligence. Ask PT Barnum. And Rove.

#15 balconesfault

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Like him or not, the man has speaking charisma, and the primary thing the repubs have to fight that is saying his delivery is not really natural at all, but that he cheats!!. He uses a, gasp, teleprompter!!!

Sorry - but for a lot of the GOP voters, the remarkable thing about Obama's eloquence is that it's coming from a black guy. OK - so that was remarkable for Joe Biden too ... but Biden believed it when he saw it.

For the GOP voters, it's an easy sell that this black guy who speaks in very measured, eloquent terms must need a teleprompter to carry it off - even when it's clear in interviews that this isn't the case.

#16 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostRaskolnik, on 12 February 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

baw, do you have a reference for that claim about Sarah Palin? I don't doubt its veracity but I'm curious as to the source....

http://www.tnr.com/b...tic-sarah-palin

#17 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

View Postbalconesfault, on 12 February 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Like him or not, the man has speaking charisma, and the primary thing the repubs have to fight that is saying his delivery is not really natural at all, but that he cheats!!. He uses a, gasp, teleprompter!!!

Sorry - but for a lot of the GOP voters, the remarkable thing about Obama's eloquence is that it's coming from a black guy. OK - so that was remarkable for Joe Biden too ... but Biden believed it when he saw it.

For the GOP voters, it's an easy sell that this black guy who speaks in very measured, eloquent terms must need a teleprompter to carry it off - even when it's clear in interviews that this isn't the case.

That very well could be. Perhaps naively, I was taking it at face value. I don't always hear the dog whistles.

#18 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Well, a lot of people also hear dog whistles that aren't there.

I've been called naive before, but I don't see the teleprompter meme as being all that much different from some of the stuff that was tossed at Clinton.

#19 davisss13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPeoria, Illinois

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

I bet they have read their teleprompter criticisms from a teleprompter.

#20 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5111 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

View Postcmk, on 12 February 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Scroll about 1/4 of the way down this page for a photo of the teleprompter at the 2008 convention speech.

http://www.dvafoto.c...d-walter-banks/
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users