The Rise of Neoliberalism: The Cause of Extreme Inequality?

9 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:56 AM

https://evonomics.co...ism-inequality/

Neoliberalism has done an astonishingly good job of making ideology seem like natural law. To shift power, we need to acknowledge that this cruel ideology is a choice, not an inevitability.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:51 AM

From the article:

Neoliberalism sees competition as the defining characteristic of human relations. It redefines citizens as consumers, whose democratic choices are best exercised by buying and selling, a process that rewards merit and punishes inefficiency. It maintains that “the market” delivers benefits that could never be achieved by planning.
Sounds like capitalism to me. Why stick the word "liberal" in it?

#3 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9871 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

I think people use neoliberalism when they want to encompass both the economic philosophy and political policy choices that support it. Just calling it capitalism doesn't convey the political choice aspects of it.

Support of capitalism/free markets is generally considered one of the defining characteristics of classical liberalism. Not in the current conservative/liberal dichotomy that dominates US politics, of course, but in the more general historical liberalism vs. conservatism debate.

Still, I think it's a stupid name.

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:35 AM

View PostAnBr, on 05 April 2021 - 08:56 AM, said:

You should drop this in the Economics section of ProBoards. I suspect we may be referring to it in the future.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:26 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 April 2021 - 10:35 AM, said:

You should drop this in the Economics section of ProBoards. I suspect we may be referring to it in the future.

Done.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#6 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 05 April 2021 - 09:51 AM, said:

From the article:
Sounds like capitalism to me. Why stick the word "liberal" in it?

Perhaps a form of capitalism, but laissez-faire is a better fit. While neoliberalism is a term that I have some issues with, one of my pet peeves about it is how it is over used as a pejorative by the puritopian left to disparage or dismiss others on the less extreme left that do not think that Sanders is the 2nd coming. I have noticed it among Brits that are big Corbin fans, too.

Other than that, I agree with Indy in that it has more political connotations that just capitalism has. It is more of an ideology, too.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#7 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:03 PM

Much of neoliberalism is built on a lie going back to "Reaganomics". It pushed what they wanted until, like the oft told big lie, the accepted truth to (in the words of David Stockman) "defend the rich and mighty against the poor and powerless." Or as noted by von Hayek in a March 25, 1985 interview in Profil:

Trickle-down economics was a wish, not a reality. It’s never worked. Lower taxes don’t generate more revenue. They generate deficits.‘The plan,’ David Stockman told Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan at the time, ‘was to have a strategic deficit that would give you an argument for cutting back the programs that weren’t desired. It got out of hand.’

You see, one of Reagan’s advisers told me why the president has permitted that to happen, which makes the matter partly excusable: Reagan thinks it is impossible to persuade Congress that expenditures must be reduced unless one creates deficits so large that absolutely everyone becomes convinced that no more money can be spent.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:17 PM

View PostAnBr, on 05 April 2021 - 07:03 PM, said:

Much of neoliberalism is built on a lie going back to "Reaganomics". It pushed what they wanted until, like the oft told big lie, the accepted truth to (in the words of David Stockman) "defend the rich and mighty against the poor and powerless." Or as noted by von Hayek in a March 25, 1985 interview in Profil:

And that brings us back to Jude Wanniski and the Two Santa Clauses (from 2009).
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#9 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Yep.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#10 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:58 PM

Posted Image

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users